Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 PM

29 posts, read 86,064 times

Advertisements

I won't know anyone there, and I'm planning to move there alone. Should I get a roommate for the first two years I'm there at least? Also, where are some good websites online where young college graduates/young professionals look for roommates?

Also, I want to live in Manhattan or Brooklyn. In Manhattan I love the East Village, West Village and and Greenwich Village haha *just noticed that* those are the neighborhoods I would love to live in Manhattan, I'm leaning more towards the East Village since its cheaper than the other two. In Brooklyn, I like Williamsburg or Greenpoint, however I'm leaning more towards Greenpoint. So it seems like its between Williamsburg and East Village. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 PM

I meant to say I'm leaning more towards WILLIAMSBURG

Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 AM

I financially support myself, my mother immigrated to this country from Nigeria, raised me by herself. No, I do not come from money. I'm in college with help of scholarships and loans. I work over 20 hours a week and I'm a full-time student. Whatever I want or need, it has always come out of my pocket. I was just asking for advice, didn't come here to be made fun of. I didn't say it HAD to be Manhattan or Brooklyn, but it is my preference. I know New York is expensive, but it is my dream to live there, and I will!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,563,479 times
If you have nothing constructive to add to this thread, please refrain from posting, as this is not a general thread. Rather, the OP has asked a specific relocation question about roommates, not for a general discussion of neighborhood demographics. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,563,479 times
Do you know anyone at school who is planning a similar move? You may be able to network before getting to the city to have a roommate with whom you move, which can be easier than searching for an unknown in the city.

Some people like roommates for various reasons, provided that you get along with the other person easily, but to have a roommate/friend, it's generally easier to find that person before moving, though it's not impossible to become friends with one's roommate. It can help to bring down the cost of living in an expensive neighborhood, so that's one reason people seek roommates. Others like the idea of having a companion at home with whom they are at least civil, and potentially one who can be a good friend, as that's a means to have a friend in the city, until one is more established with a social circle.

Looking to move to the city, provided you can live with another person, and find a decent person with whom to split an apartment, I think it could be a good move to have a roommate during your transition to the city. I would try to network within your college, alumni association, etc. somewhere different than CraigsList. Roommates.com may be a resource, but having not used a site like that, I really cannot comment as to the effectiveness of the search/match features offered.

Good luck with your move!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-25-2012, 05:40 AM

115 posts, read 191,672 times
It is so great to start your life adventure. I wish you the best .Keep your feet grounded and don't let the city chew you up and spit you out . Don't let the city make you somebody your not. Please bring your talent to our city , use your time here in a positive way. P.S. just remember the garbage cans and cross walks are there for a reason. We learned the following words for a reason Thank you , Excuse me and Good morning . And one last time If you can make it here you can make it anywhere That is far from the truth .

Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,916,928 times
At least you've visited the areas you're considering. You have the upper hand on most newbies.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM

242 posts, read 1,190,145 times
Get a roomate. For several reasons. One, the city is SUPER expensive. The neighborhoods you listed are SUPER expensive. Maybe not in comparison to other neighborhoods, but you will be paying over 2K a month between rent and utilities if you try for your own place. Two, NYC is huge, and can be somewhat isolating. If I hadn't had roomates when I moved to the city I wouldn't have gotten to do half of the amazing things I did- i.e. wake up and check out a new brunch place in the neighborhood, wander randomly through certain neighborhoods exploring. It helps to have a NYC resident who can show you the ropes/hot spots while you're still new. Third, NYC can be dangerous. I consider myself especially street smart. I've lived in neighborhoods that are ehh on the safety scale in the past and have never been concerned for my safety. That said, it is nice to have someone waiting for you at home who will notice if you go missing. Fourth, discretionary cash. Even if you CAN make it on your own, why put yourself through that? You're young, eager to take on the city. A roomate will easily put $1000 back in your pocket each month which will come in handy for the previously mentioned city exploration.

In summary, you CAN do it alone, but why bother when a roomate guarantees more money, a sidekick for checking out the city, etc?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM

25,508 posts, read 37,438,900 times
Live with a friend rather than a roommate. Nothing is more awful than being saddled with a person you learn to dislike.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM

15,755 posts, read 15,971,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nychokie View Post
I won't know anyone there, and I'm planning to move there alone. Should I get a roommate for the first two years I'm there at least? Also, where are some good websites online where young college graduates/young professionals look for roommates?

Also, I want to live in Manhattan or Brooklyn. In Manhattan I love the East Village, West Village and and Greenwich Village haha *just noticed that* those are the neighborhoods I would love to live in Manhattan, I'm leaning more towards the East Village since its cheaper than the other two. In Brooklyn, I like Williamsburg or Greenpoint, however I'm leaning more towards Greenpoint. So it seems like its between Williamsburg and East Village. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
You sound smart and prudent to be thinking ahead, but I really don't think there's anything you can do at this point. I assume you're graduating in June?

Of course, a roommate. Unlike what Kefir King says, I think it may be better to move in with a new roommate, rather than a friend. The idea is to enlarge your acquaintance and experience. You can start making job inquiries while you're still at school, of course, and then after you get a job, you'll have a better feel for what you can afford, and what might be a good neighborhood. If you are at a large school, or a very high-level school, it's possible that the school may have an alumni network in NYC, which could also be a source of roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: