Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM

5 posts, read 13,811 times

Advertisements

I'll be graduating from a university in Ohio in Fall 2013. I'm a print journalism major and popular culture minor. Two of my friends and I are planning on moving out to the city by Fall 2014 (more than likely a 3 bedroom in Brooklyn so our individual rent will be around $500). We're looking at Bushwick and East Williamsburg, so any advice on that area would be appreciated.

One of the girls will be working in the city (she has a job lined up) and the other will be attending graduate school. Originally, I was considering grad school as well but I'm beginning to think going back to school for journalism won't be worth it.

Instead, I want to know if it would be reasonable for me to save up for about 6 months of living (probably $7,000-$10,000) and interning once I move to the city - and working another job if the internship is unpaid (office work, waiting tables, etc.). I have had an internship since I graduated high school and have other on-campus experience, so I'm not necessarily worried about finding one. But I imagine this would be the best thing to do with a degree in journalism, as I've heard it would most likely be impossible for me to find a full-time job in journalism in NYC. So working my way up/networking through internships while working on the side would probably be the best possible option, yeah?

Also, it's not like I'd be looking to break into anything like the NYT straight out of college. So what would the chances be of getting hired by a smaller paper or magazine as a graduate with experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,075,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahCB View Post
I'll be graduating from a university in Ohio in Fall 2013. I'm a print journalism major and popular culture minor. Two of my friends and I are planning on moving out to the city by Fall 2014 (more than likely a 3 bedroom in Brooklyn so our individual rent will be around $500). We're looking at Bushwick and East Williamsburg, so any advice on that area would be appreciated.

One of the girls will be working in the city (she has a job lined up) and the other will be attending graduate school. Originally, I was considering grad school as well but I'm beginning to think going back to school for journalism won't be worth it.

Instead, I want to know if it would be reasonable for me to save up for about 6 months of living (probably $7,000-$10,000) and interning once I move to the city - and working another job if the internship is unpaid (office work, waiting tables, etc.). I have had an internship since I graduated high school and have other on-campus experience, so I'm not necessarily worried about finding one. But I imagine this would be the best thing to do with a degree in journalism, as I've heard it would most likely be impossible for me to find a full-time job in journalism in NYC. So working my way up/networking through internships while working on the side would probably be the best possible option, yeah?

Also, it's not like I'd be looking to break into anything like the NYT straight out of college. So what would the chances be of getting hired by a smaller paper or magazine as a graduate with experience?

Another Ohioian moving to NYC, I thouoght Cleveland Rocks?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 AM

5,524 posts, read 8,790,702 times
If you want to break into print journalism NYC is not the place. Most reporters and editors I know have started out in smaller markets and worked their way up, often moving around the country to do so until they they get to a "destination" paper -- one of the big city dailies where people tend to stay until they retire. But even that path is rough now. I'm sure you know that print journalism is in a bad way, being eaten alive by online journalism on one hand and the lousy economy on the other. (And if there were a third hand you could add in all the LBOs and other Wall Street machinations that have ruined many papers.)

If you don't want to start in a small market and move up, I'd investigate every online site you can find and establish a relationship (hopefully a paying one) with them right now, depending on the type of writing/reporting/editing you're interested in. Remember, people don't hire becaause you can write. They hire because you can write ABOUT something, with knowledge of the field, contacts within it, speed, and skill. Of course you can freelance. you might hit one out the park and draw attention from someone in a position to hire (in a lot of places, not just NYC). But the income is precarious and often not a lot. Finally, maybe you should consider J school. Both City College and Columbia have fine programs and I think the gradds from there do a bit better in the job market, though of course they're expensive--especially Columbia.

You can certainly survive here on odd jobs if your sharing an apartment and your rent is only $500 a month. But both Bushwick and E. Williamsburg are, to be polite, works in progress. They may be more culture shock than an Ohio girl is ready for.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM

943 posts, read 1,847,958 times
So your planning for a move to nyc 26 months from now and your friend has a job lined up 26 months from now HUMM!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
So your planning for a move to nyc 26 months from now and your friend has a job lined up 26 months from now HUMM!
She has connections through her current job. Networking. I suppose "lined up" were the wrong words to use - a job offer.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
She has connections through her current job. Networking. I suppose "lined up" were the wrong words to use - a job offer.

Networking NYC for a job 26 months from now ........hummmm a lot can happen between now and then, those so called connections do not guarantee a job 26 plus months from now........ common sense a lot can happen between now and 2 years and a hand full of months from now. That so called company can go out out of business her network contacts can leave, the copany can move or even bought by a new group. Could have a legal isue and have to downsize....... i can go on an on an on.

we can give you the cost of living for lets say now and the next six months but who knows what is going to happen with the new election both prez and mayor, terrorists, the list goes on. Lot can change in a year an your talking a move in over 2 yrs.

sorry Mistic Meg can't even predict any of this.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:00 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,621,179 times
I have some experience here.

What do you see yourself writing about? How you break in depends on that.

"Print journalism" is not going to be an operative concept for much longer, but fortunately the basic skills of journalism carry over to web. It wouldn't hurt to learn some video editing though.

$1500 for a 3 bedroom is not very realistic, btw.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I have some experience here.

What do you see yourself writing about? How you break in depends on that.

"Print journalism" is not going to be an operative concept for much longer, but fortunately the basic skills of journalism carry over to web. It wouldn't hurt to learn some video editing though.

$1500 for a 3 bedroom is not very realistic, btw.
I'm mostly interested in the arts and culture scene, which is why I chose popular culture as a minor as it gives me a little background on a lot of different things. I actually don't see myself writing for a newspaper (print journalism, broadcast, and PR were all my university offered). Blogging/online journalism is more than likely what I'd aim for - my university does teach us skills in that area.

In Bushwick, we've found some apartments in the 1500-1700 range, but that could obviously change in a couple of years. We're trying to shoot for paying anywhere between $500-$700 individually, so it's not really a set range. Just an idea at this point.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,402,816 times
dude you and 100,000 other kids from college graduating at the same time will want to try and make it in the city

Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I'm mostly interested in the arts and culture scene, which is why I chose popular culture as a minor as it gives me a little background on a lot of different things. I actually don't see myself writing for a newspaper (print journalism, broadcast, and PR were all my university offered). Blogging/online journalism is more than likely what I'd aim for - my university does teach us skills in that area.

In Bushwick, we've found some apartments in the 1500-1700 range, but that could obviously change in a couple of years. We're trying to shoot for paying anywhere between $500-$700 individually, so it's not really a set range. Just an idea at this point.

26 months from now they maybe a lot more money and those building you are looking at may be torn down by Trump Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City