Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 PM

101 posts, read 211,052 times

Advertisements

So there is a common idea that large cities in the U.S. don't really follow college sports that much. I live in Chicago, and I think because we're right in the middle of Big Ten country that this is not as true here. However, I've heard that in Boston and NYC and Philly college sports really just aren't that popular. Regardless, there have to be teams who are more followed than others. For example, in Chicago, Illinois is clearly the most followed team. Notre Dame has a decent following followed by Northwestern and then just all of the other Big Ten schools divided evenly. I always assumed that NYC would follow Syracuse sports, but I've recently heard that Rutgers and Penn State are very popular.

So which college sports teams are the most popular in New York? I found this map (Chicago is yellow for my Illini!), but I can't really tell who has the most in NYC. Thanks in advance!

http://www.commoncensus.org/maps/ncaaf_1280.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,990,033 times
There aren't any big Division I teams around here, so it stands to reason that the people who do follow college sports root for teams that they like.. not based on location. I wouldn't say that it's because this is a large city, I'd say it's just because there's no good college football teams located within the area.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 PM

1,999 posts, read 5,001,269 times
Default college football is for hicks

Very few people -especially native New Yorkers- care about college football around here. They try to market Rutgers as a local team but no one outside of their alumni really cares. New York is more of a pro sports/ horse racing town.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,712,445 times
Yeah we do not follow college football. We think watching college football is meaningless. We love MLB more than the NFL. The South is more into NFL.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,369,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post

So which college sports teams are the most popular in New York? I found this map (Chicago is yellow for my Illini!), but I can't really tell who has the most in NYC. Thanks in advance!

http://www.commoncensus.org/maps/ncaaf_1280.gif
No team specifically from my experience (esp. football). Penn State isn't really that close. In fact, I've notice U Mich fans during game day. Team bars are around, but not as abundant as Chicago.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,265,800 times
NYC isn't really a College sports town. People are mostly of the fair weather variety when it comes to college sports here. When St. Johns and Seton Hall were good in college b-ball people were pretty into it but these days people around here only get into March Madness because of the office pools.

Hardcore college football fans are sparse except for the occasional alumni.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
There aren't any big Division I teams around here, so it stands to reason that the people who do follow college sports root for teams that they like.. not based on location. I wouldn't say that it's because this is a large city, I'd say it's just because there's no good college football teams located within the area.
Um, Rutgers has been to 4 consecutive bowl games and they play in the Big East, i.e., a big Division I conference.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,067,151 times
Sorry, no interest in watching college football whatsoever. Why some channels like ESPN have round the clock college football games on Saturday beats me. There just isn't a market for that over here.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,369,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Um, Rutgers has been to 4 consecutive bowl games and they play in the Big East, i.e., a big Division I conference.
Yes, they've had some recent success, but the football history/tradition/following isn't on par with the likes of Big 10/12/SEC powerhouses. That being said, the last 4 years have converted my family friends to Rutgers football, and now they follow them (and college football) more closely...

Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM

922 posts, read 3,864,035 times
With nine major league pro sports teams, who has time for more? Especially in the fall when you have pro football and the MLB pennant races plus hockey and basketball getting started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City