Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,171,508 times

Advertisements

"I'm a Senior in college, I want to move to New York after graduation. Should I get a roo"

I'd say no. They jump around a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,820,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nychokie View Post
I financially support myself, my mother immigrated to this country from Nigeria, raised me by herself. No, I do not come from money. I'm in college with help of scholarships and loans. I work over 20 hours a week and I'm a full-time student. Whatever I want or need, it has always come out of my pocket. I was just asking for advice, didn't come here to be made fun of. I didn't say it HAD to be Manhattan or Brooklyn, but it is my preference. I know New York is expensive, but it is my dream to live there, and I will!
I can see you are a true "Self starter", a confident individual that is driven to accomplish your goals. I believe you do have what it takes to make it here and realize your dream living in NYC!

Good Luck.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,362,233 times
Quote:
I won't know anyone there, and I'm planning to move there alone. Should I get a roommate for the first two years I'm there at least? Also, where are some good websites online where young college graduates/young professionals look for roommates?
Roommate for sure. I think it's standard practice for new-to-the-city 20 somethings to have roommates. All of the 20 something newbies at my company (who live in trendy neighborhoods) have roommates. Some of them have two or three roommates! I would advise against that, and just stick to one. Matter of fact, I can't think of anyone under 25 in Manhattan that I know that DOESN'T have a roommate. Most people can't afford to live on their own, at least in the trendy areas in NYC, with an entry level job- unless they net an industry with very high starting salaries.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:33 AM

25,508 posts, read 37,479,442 times
I lived with friends and it was fine...delightful in fact.
I lived with a "roommate" only once and it was AWFUL. Ignoring someone in the same house can be brutal on the psyche.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,015,856 times
just waiting for coltrane to show up and act like judge judy on poor unsuspecting hokie

Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,362,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I lived with friends and it was fine...delightful in fact.
I lived with a "roommate" only once and it was AWFUL. Ignoring someone in the same house can be brutal on the psyche.
There are good roommate situations and bad roommate situations. I have a friend that had a another friend as a roommate- they are no longer friends. Just because one has a bad roommate experience with a stranger doesn't mean all roommate situations are that god awful. I mean consider this, in college, we all roomed with complete strangers (at first).

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,942,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
just waiting for coltrane to show up and act like judge judy on poor unsuspecting hokie

I'm getting my popcorn ready too.

I'm sure the OP will appreciate 'a wall' of ranting and chastising.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 PM

2,427 posts, read 4,005,046 times
Quote:
I won't know anyone there, and I'm planning to move there alone. Should I get a roommate for the first two years I'm there at least?
without knowing your budget it's hard to say

once i could afford it I stopped having roommates here and greatly preferred it that way. so if you can afford it i would say don't get a roommate. but i can be somewhat solitary

if you wind up needing one, i will make the obvious suggestion of craigslist. I know many people who found roommates this way (both good and bad)

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: