Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 AM

45 posts, read 189,284 times

Advertisements

I moved to New York thinking it was a place that all diffferent kinds of people lived together. True, there are a lot of different kinds of people but it seems blacks are in one area, whites, Jews, asians, etc....Does anybody feel the same way as me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:15 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,911 times
Yes. New York City is very segregated, that's a given. Hustla had already posted something about NYC being racially divided

Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 AM

479 posts, read 879,607 times
That's a common misconception most non-NYers make. True NY is the melting pot of the world but because of the amount of immigrants living there, sub-cultural communities are established and most prefer to live in a neighborhood where there are a number of the same people around them.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Yeah, I realize that now. I can understand why people want to be around people like themeselves, but what about learning from eachother? What ever happened to that?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcat16 View Post
Yeah, I realize that now. I can understand why people want to be around people like themeselves, but what about learning from eachother? What ever happened to that?
Most immigrants tend to live within their ethnic neighborhood while the 2nd generation tend to move out. It has a lot to do with language, culture, and economic barriers. You can't generalize everyone in NYC because there are people from both ends of the spectrum and in between. Basically, people are all different and depending on their circumstance, they will want/need to live where they choose

Old 10-05-2007, 11:35 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,642 times
I think "prefer" is a loaded term. Yes, they may feel more comfortable around their own esp when they are just starting out, but if they are poor their living options are very limited. Many would not necessarily prefer to live in run down areas.

However, one of the nice things about these immigrant enclaves is that you can get a real feel for what the authentic culture and cuisine is really like. Hence old time Little Italy, Chinatown, etc. (though nowadays Manhattan's Little Italy is rapidly becoming an extension of Chinatown, lol).

Old 10-05-2007, 11:36 AM

No, im toatlly for people wanting to live where they live. Im just saying, I thought NYC of all places was more mixed. Not a black commnity, asian , white and so forth, more just a community thats all.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
That's a common misconception most non-NYers make. True NY is the melting pot of the world but because of the amount of immigrants living there, sub-cultural communities are established and most prefer to live in a neighborhood where there are a number of the same people around them.
Yeah but there's something else to it as well. Some groups are just really that racist and choose to segregate themselves. Let's not try to sugar-coat it. Some ethnic groups have been here for years and they still more often than not live in certain neighborhoods. And before someone makes this a black/white thing let me specify that this is across the board, some groups more racist that others.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,642 times
If you're rich, you can choose exactly where you wish to live. Most wealthier people prefer to live amongst their own kind, and many of their own kind (not all) are white and/or in the same socio-economic class. Others may want to live in a more diverse area, but simply have no choice economically other than their own ethnic or minority enclave. I don't think that African Americans all "prefer" to live in the areas many live in, and they are not recent immigrants. Some move out of NYC as soon as they can manage it, which is understandable.

People tend to look down at the class below them. If you're a wealthy New Yorker, you feel entitled to live wherever you choose, even if the working or middle classes get displaced to make room for you. If you are middle class, you are just as expendable if your area becomes a wealthy enclave. But middle class whites sometimes wholly blame minorities for an area's ruin, and will not dare to move into a "revitalized" area until it is clear most of them are on the way out. When the coast is clear, they generally don't feel too bad for those forced out to make room for them. The real estate industry benefits from this undercurrent of racism, and esp in the past actively helped promote it by "redlining" areas and steering whites and blacks to different neighborhoods, and a lot of other greedy tactics.

But one thing I must note--in another thread you and someone else bemoaned the excess of 99 cent stores etc. In poorer communities, these are a necessity and a blessing because many can't afford anything more costly, and believe it or not some of them have very good buys. But it's great to have a decent grocery store or two in the area. A Starbucks opened years ago on Fordham Road (the Bronx area I now live near), but it didn't last. Think about it...the average resident simply can't afford the luxury of pricey coffee, and doesn't have a laptop to sit and while the hours away.

This is part of the package when you move to a poor area. Getting rid of the dollar stores may be great for you, but not so great for the current residents who can afford nothing else. By moving in, you are unwittingly part of the "problem" because though you can't afford sky high rents, you may come from a background where Starbucks and other amenities are simply a part of your "cultural" milieu. You would not necessarily realize that the closing of the mom and pops would affect the current poor residents, often dramatically so, but they do.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 PM

479 posts, read 879,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah but there's something else to it as well. Some groups are just really that racist and choose to segregate themselves. Let's not try to sugar-coat it. Some ethnic groups have been here for years and they still more often than not live in certain neighborhoods. And before someone makes this a black/white thing let me specify that this is across the board, some groups more racist that others.
Probably true for some. Or maybe they fear being discriminated against living in an majority "_______" community.The ethnic neighborhoods are sort of like an "extended family" so to speak where that person can feel comfortable. I hope NYC would become more integrated but it seems that the neighborhoods get completely swallowed up by another group thus making it a new ethnic/class hood' w/o some incorporation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: