Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:52 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times

Advertisements

Visit their neighborhoods. I doubt you would be met by a lynch mob in most ethnic areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,000 times
One thing that belies some of this is the sheer number of racial combinations here. All sorts of hues of black and brown--sometimes asian mixed with spanish or African or white. Most truly black people here hail from Africa. I'd venture that many many African Americans have some white blood in them.

Guess it proves that sometimes love really does conquer all!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 PM

45 posts, read 189,246 times
Elmira, your right. My complaints im sure are nothing comparred to what people in my area's are. And im glad that I am here, because it really opens my eyes to see other worlds.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Although of course during slavery some of the mixed offspring were not produced voluntarily by the black "partner"...

Old 10-05-2007, 01:23 PM

tamcat, I am in a similar "boat" to yours, but I now live here in the Bronx happily and voluntarily, having been fortunate enough to be able to enjoy Manhattan for a good part of my life. Though I am one of the rare white faces in the immediate area (though there are plenty who dorm at nearby Fordham U), I don't feel out of place, and most people are very nice--more polite and neighborly by far than any other area I've lived in in Manhattan.

When I go to Manhattan now, I don't much like the vibe there. There is definitely such a thing as a white ghetto, and it can be just as limited as any other. There's a Brooklyn blog that talks about the ultra gentrified areas of Park Slope etc, and some of the children there are incredibly materialistic, competitive, and brand conscious. IMO, this does not bode well for their future, even if they have all the toys money can buy.

I really like the culture here and don't really want it to drastically change. It's great to see the area improving, and it is--quite a lot actually--, but so far not at the expense of the current residents. I hope it will stay that way, even if it becomes a bit more diverse and a little less ethnic.

As an older person and a homebody to boot, I cook a lot and so the cheaper grocery stores (though they are NYC chains with lower prices) are fine with me. Not many restaurant options, but that saves money too. If I need something I can't get here, I buy it when I venture into Manhattan. But as a young person just coming to NY, I can understand your feelings. Again, if the area continues to "improve," you will likely soon see more of the amenities any area should have, little by little. I don't know the area, but it may be that some of what you seek may be an easy walk away. Brooklyn is such a beautiful borough and has so much to offer, and if you have a close commute to Manhattan, that's not too shabby either.

Also you said your apt is pretty large, and that is one of the best things about moving to cheaper areas. Space is one of the most precious commodities in this city, so hopefully you can enjoy that aspect of it too. All the best to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: