Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:12 AM

5,191 posts, read 5,027,773 times

Advertisements

That is what I gather from reading this CD. The maim divide seems to be centered on black-white, very surprised. While hispanics/latinos are often talked down of, no representative latino voices here to defend/argue on their behalf.On the other hand, the tug of war between B-W seems persistent and highly inflammable, but very often non-productive because neither side is willing to listen to the other to seek an agreable mid point to work on and resolve outstanding issues. With an expanding black population concomittant with a shrinking white population, the majority/minority status will reverse, which will likely deepen the divide. Could this lead to.a second.civil war?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,117,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
That is what I gather from reading this CD. The maim divide seems to be centered on black-white, very surprised. While hispanics/latinos are often talked down of, no representative latino voices here to defend/argue on their behalf.On the other hand, the tug of war between B-W seems persistent and highly inflammable, but very often non-productive because neither side is willing to listen to the other to seek an agreable mid point to work on and resolve outstanding issues. With an expanding black population concomittant with a shrinking white population, the majority/minority status will reverse, which will likely deepen the divide. Could this lead to.a second.civil war?

The division of people in NYC is not really caused by racism but is caused by economics, socioeconomics and again and again failed governmental housing scheme programs which hurt minorities from white flight, redlining of the past to todays new urbanism and gentrification. The fighting between blacks and whites is nothing new in NYC and it can go as far as the draft riots of 1863. Other cities also had similar results like riots in Detroit between blacks and whites during WW2. Also note that the whites that are fighting with blacks are not wasps and jews who control banking, politics media and other big industries. Its mainly ethnic whites that disagreeing with blacks in this city and has had so for sometime.

As for shrinking white population in the city? I remember I posted an article that said non native NYC white population has grown for the 3rd straight year while the native white NYC population continues to decline, many are either moving to the burbs, Jersey, Upstate, Down South or out West. Also NYC black population continues to decline NYC black population has relocated Down South partaking in the New Great Migration of Nothern Blacks with Southern roots who are moving back Down South. Im not sure if out of town white kids, and immigrants from Latin America and Asia helps off set the decline of native whites, Puerto Ricans and blacks in populations numbers in NYC.

What is going on in this country is the result of the 2008 economic crash which whipped out assets and equity of millions of Americans both black and white, but blacks got hurt big time in the economic crash and only had assets in their homes which became undervalued. Plenty of people got caught up in the subprime mortgage mess. The economic recovery only benefited a handful of Americans like those on Wall Street or Capital Hill, creative class types, tech sector, health, real estate and Various industries that only exist in an handful of cities like Boston, NYC, DC and San Francsico which are the leaders of inequality in America. Most Americans have no recovered from the recession and are still struggling.

How did the city become divided like this? I put much of the blame on Michael Bloomberg mayoral tensure as the main culprit of division in the city. Even the native whites who voted for him got screwed over at the end because Bloomberg only cared about those with money and not the small guy regardless of race.

I highly doubt that what is going on will lead to Civil War, but I can say it can lead to more protest that can cause and push for reform through legislation. If worse comes to shove I hope events across the country can lead to a revolution of some sort. I put much of the blame on the federal government for failing to improve racial equality via housing rulings and institutions, along with slowly eroding the nations industrial sector in favor of overseas markets, and other sorts of labor outsourcing. the government allowed the media to divide and then conquer both groups.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:46 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,276,838 times
In my opinion, there isn't as much of a "divide" between people as you might assume. Ultimately, we all have the same interests regarding recent circumstances which is fairness and a safe city.

I think that many politicians on all sides have unfortunately tried to capitalize on tensions for their own career goals and have made them much worse. I've noticed that our leaders have changed their public statements based upon changing public sentiment.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:23 AM

298 posts, read 708,980 times
Quote:
With an expanding black population concomittant with a shrinking white population, the majority/minority status will reverse, which will likely deepen the divide. Could this lead to.a second.civil war?
Demographic history of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blacks are decreasing, Asians and Latinos are increasing.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:26 AM

8,107 posts, read 6,787,875 times
The real divide should be between the 0.1% and the rest of us. Just like the Romans distracted the masses with the games the 0.1% have us focused on race, unions, and who's going to win the Biggest Loser. While the rest of us are the real biggest losers in economic equality.
This my friends is the root cause of the OP's concern.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/les-le...b_6171230.html

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 12-26-2014 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Add link

Old 12-26-2014, 09:40 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,117,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The real divide should be between the .01% and the rest of us. Just like the Romans distracted the masses with the games the .01% have us focused on race, unions, and who's going to win the Biggest Loser. While the rest of us are the real biggest losers in economic equality.
This is the reason why I posted a thread Called their is a bigger picture. People on this forum are side track about racism, police brutality and so forth. Politicians local to federal levels, wall Street and the media is doing a great job dividing and conquering. The real issue heart is economics, socio-economics and income inequality that people loss track of. The powers that be did a great job steering people away from the true problems of this country. Politicians, wall Street and the media are laughing the way to the bank while people fight about racism.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is the reason why I posted a thread Called their is a bigger picture. People on this forum are side track about racism, police brutality and so forth. Politicians local to federal levels, wall Street and the media is doing a great job dividing and conquering. The real issue heart is economics, socio-economics and income inequality that people loss track of. The powers that be did a great job steering people away from the true problems of this country. Politicians, wall Street and the media are laughing the way to the bank while people fight about racism.

Oh yes! Absolutely!!!

Old 12-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
The 0.1% need a compliant government that's why civil service pay and benefits are liveable wages. They control government by infiltrating it with lobbieists. They control the masses with government handouts and distraction.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,961,150 times
Quote:
Exactly, do not expect anyone to listen.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:26 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,138,650 times
Quote:

I disagree. If anything,NYC seems less divided than ever before. It seems like in every election,whether it's national or local,voter registration and election results in NYC are getting more and more to the left of center. There was a time,not that long ago,when NYC occasionally voted Republican in a presidential election.

Those on the right are extremely vocal,which makes it seem more divided.de Blasio was elected with one of the most overwhelming majority's in NYC history and he will probably get re elected quite easily when the time comes. You should know better than to deduct anything from an internet forum because they are usually representative of nothing except the disaffected and many neither live nor vote in NYC.

Now,the country as a whole is definitely more divided politically but NYC,not really at all.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-26-2014 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City