Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 AM

45 posts, read 189,358 times

Advertisements

Elvira, I hope your not taking what I said the wrong way. Like I said, I dont want to be surrounded by all white people. I want to be mixed with everyone. If i wanted to live with just white people, I would of stayed where I was. And I dont want the area to change 100%. I would just like to see Bushwick, get a rite-aid, or something of that nature. I dont want all the small business to close up. I like places like that. I hope this area isnt taken over by rich little snobs, because it would turn into another place where individuals like myself wouldnt be able to l!ive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:18 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,606,052 times
The area will almost certainly get some of the chain stores like Rite Aid and Duane Reade, even if it doesn't get too much wealthier. On Forham Road in the Bronx you have nothing but shopping, and Duane Reades are as ubiquitous here now as anywhere else. I live near one C-town supermarket that is much more limited in selection than the Associated/Morton Williams a few blocks further down, which is actually becoming more upscale (even has a little "cafe" attached with a hot spot for wifi).

I understand how you feel. I wish you the best, and hope that the area becomes a bit more user-friendly without becoming a total yuppie ghetto. It may come little by little, as that's the way it generally begins. That's the kind of mix that some old time New Yorkers miss the most--the chance to enjoy a decent, affordable middle class way of life--but hopefully with a bit more diversity than in the old days--and less displacement of the poor.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:16 PM

265 posts, read 946,055 times
Bushwick definitely isn't a nice area to live

Old 10-05-2007, 03:36 PM

Why? HAve you ever lived there?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 PM

Precisely.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:43 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,507,564 times
Brooklyn North's crime rate has risen 64% in the past two years. It is also home to the most dangerous urban neighborhood in the country. Not the best place in the world.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 PM

What area's are considered north Brooklyn?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:17 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,557,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcat16 View Post
What area's are considered north Brooklyn?
The area you're asking about is part of Brooklyn North.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,880,278 times
For crime statistics, Brooklyn North is comprised of the following police precincts: 73,75,77,79,81,83,84,90,94. It is traditionally the busiest of the patrol boroughs although if you check out this link you will see that the area has enjoyed a 73% major crime reduction since 1990.
http://nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/p...ics/cspbbn.pdf

The 83rd Pct covers most of Bushwick and has had a 72% reduction in the major crime categories since 1990 and a 13% reduction from last year. Often the numbers are deceiving because of reporting practices, but this is the official line from the NYPD.

Like most of the city it is a better place to live than it was 15 years ago. However, like I have said on other threads, if someone asks me if I would recommend living in a particular area I think to myself, "would I want my mother or sister living in this place?". Then I base my answer on that. As for Bushwick, the answer would be a definate "NO".

Old 10-06-2007, 04:39 AM

Yes, funny how one "report" can say crime has increased 64 percent in two years (which translates into about 6 more whatever) to a 13 percent reduction since last year.

If you live in the neighborhood, right now, I'd say you might be qualified to report on how it is to live there right now.

Most dangerous urban neighborhood in the country? Please supply current links to back up this questionable claim.

tamcat, here's one NY Times article from last year about Bushwick. Artists are moving into some of the loft spaces in the area, which almost always bodes well for future development. Why are they moving there? Because they've been priced out of other areas, like Williamsburg, because of gentrification. Williamsburg was considered a dump until fairly recently. Now you can't get in. If you wait til you get the "go ahead" from all these "experts" on the board, you'd have nowhere left to live at all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/re...0City/Brooklyn

There was also an article in the NY Post recently about still affordable hoods and Bushwick was featured as a place where artists are moving in. Artists are generally a bit less timid than the average bourgeois naysayer. I wouldn't go by the word of someone living in Scarsdale or South Carolina on where to live in Brooklyn today, even if they knew the area at some other point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City