Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times

Advertisements

ny will never be a typical white american city yo. get over it.
if you don't like it, you should have have never come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Back home in Erie PA, which is 90% white with very few immigrants, I always wondered what it was like to be someone of color or ESL. Basically on the side of the town that I lived in nearly everyone was white. But when I visit friends in Queens New York I am shocked how out of sorts I feel walking down the street in a city where pretty much everyone is from somewhere else.

No, this is not a racist troll post complaining about dark skinned people. Instead, I am curious what other people who are white and came from communities whose population is mostly white and fifth generation American, feel living in New York City where they are the minority. How does it make you feel?

Honest answers now, and please... no political correctness, or racist posts either.
as someone who's fifth generation NYers (on a few sides) I never thought about it till I started looking at demographics later.
I grew up in a Jewish community and never actually cared one way or another on where anyone else came from.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,357 times
Quote:
....................... With this in mind, why can't I be honest and say that I feel more comfortable with other White People who were born in America and speak English as their first language and share many of similar cultural traits of multi generational Americans? And are overwelmed by NYC. If someone comes to New York from Bolivia, a country that does not have a lot of cultural and ethnic diversity (JUST LIKE MY HOMETOWN OF ERIE PA), wouldn't they feel overwhelmed with living in New York City where hundreds of languages are spoken in the street, and search out other Bolivians to be with? And miss the familar people like back home?
Are you scared of non-white people born in America who speak English as their first (and sometimes only) language and share the American culture too? Or did you not realize that they exist?

Seriously OP, if you screen name is a true indication of your current status, being white is the least of your problems.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:

I never said New York City is bad because American Born Whites are a minority, just that it is a culture shock for people who grew up in a town like Erie.

If you grew up in a town like I did and moved to NYC, did the nature of the huge immigrant population and large number of languages spoken on the street impact you?
Dont worry with these folks. Many of them sing "we are the world" and then devine subtle subtexts to communicate their insecurity about being in environments where they are either not the majority, or not in control. Their reaction to you is out of a defensiveness as to admit that there is merit in your question is to admit that racism against non whites or foreigners exists today. These types will have one believe that it doesnt, probably never did to a great degree, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is "injecting race into everything."

A more truthful response came from Harlem Resident who admits that there are issues ON ALL sides, but that one can usually avoid it, or find ways of adjusting to it (employment based discrimination). Its not PC to show bias in NYC, but that doesnt mean that it doesnt exist.

And there does exist a sufficiently large group of people who do embrace difference...but to pretend a sif they arent also many who dont is foolish.

Most whites have never been in situations where they are a minority and/or their "cultural" norms dont call the shots.

Your question is a legitimate one.

Indeed a Harlem landlord (black American of West Indian descent) has no problem in renting to whites. He does ask questions to gauge whether the person has had multi racial/cultural environments. He just got too tired of folks from the hinterlands freaking out when they realized that the world outside their door was not what they knew from back home, and then trying to break the lease, forcing him to have to go find a new tenant.

In case any doubt the legitimacy of your question they ought to do a survey to find out how many white sin NYC put themselves in situations,other than in the subway, where they are the minority,and where they must adjust to others. Oh yes they will claim to be comfortable with black people, but how do they feel if they go to a party where every one else is black and where the vibes might be different from what it would be among whites, and where people dont feel compelled to make adjustments to them, as indeed blacks often have to in white controlled spaces.....and I refer to NONGHETTO blacks.

The truly multi cultural types tend not to be the norm...even given NYCs diversity,though many here will pretend otherwise.

Indeed not too long ago a NYC BORN white AMERICAN male was describing mild levels of discrimination he receives from suburban white, or others from less diverse communities because, growing up around non whites, he has a NONGHETTO style which is not considered that of a mainstream suburban white male. He was also attacked.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Ior they assume that all majority non-white neighborhoods are bad places to live - you hear this kind of thing all the time.

Yes some of them have been known to give the impression that Pelham Pkway near WP Road is safe and that the area north of Allerton Ave and east of Boston Rd is a hell hole.

Clearly race is the big motivator for that when we consider the number of crimines that have occurred in and around Pelham Houses for this year (way more than around Eastchester Houses) and that the 47th precinct is having quite a few problems there. Robberies and gunshots are on the increase in that area south of Allerton, west of Williamsbridge and north of Pelham Pkway. The area was always notorious for car break ins. Indeed there has also been an increase in muggings in the area immediately south of this as well.

Last edited by caribny; 07-31-2012 at 06:03 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
With this in mind, why can't I be honest and say that I feel more comfortable with other White People who were born in America and speak English as their first language and share many of similar cultural traits of multi generational Americans? ?

Dfont worry. Many here think like you do but were they to admit it publicly they will then need to admit that these attitudes do suggest that in employment situations, usually under the control of whites, people will prefer to hire those who they are more comfortable with, suggesting that those who are different will possibly have a harder time.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 AM

101 posts, read 353,521 times
I have laughed and laughed at all the politically correct talk on this thread. Everyone knows that most people will divide up and interact mostly with people who are most like themselves and because everyone is so different in NYC, the city does not work as well as a homogeneous place like Erie where most people are English as a first language and speak the same language culturally and socially and just feel more comfortable with each other.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:08 PM

110 posts, read 300,044 times
Quote:
I have laughed and laughed at all the politically correct talk on this thread. Everyone knows that most people will divide up and interact mostly with people who are most like themselves and because everyone is so different in NYC, the city does not work as well as a homogeneous place like Erie where most people are English as a first language and speak the same language culturally and socially and just feel more comfortable with each other.
I am black and I actually lived in a largely-black part of the city for 5 years and didn't like it much. I find that I actually PREFER more diversity and enjoy having different cultures around me. Getting influenced by other cultures makes you a more knowledgeable person. I think too much of one culture gets to be boring when it's the only thing you interact with. Because of this, if I'm alone at a convention I won't just walk up to a black person because I'm black too. I'll walk up to people who look like they want to talk because THAT'S what matters to me.

Everyone doesn't think like you so don't lump all human beings together.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
This whole thread makes me want to vomit and is the exact reason I left Ohio.
Ohiogirl22, so many of your posts display much anger. Could it be that on a subconscious or even on a conscious level that you actually relate more to the OP than you would care to even admit to yourself? You may suffer from Oikophobia?

Quote:
Oikophobia is fear of the familiar: "the disposition, in any conflict, to side with 'them' against 'us', and the felt need to denigrate the customs, culture and institutions that are identifiably 'ours.' " British philosopher Roger Scruton
You can not help where you were born and raised but you will never truly move forward until you accept who you were (are?) and let go of your anger. You are in a unique position to "teach" the OP rather than despise him. I base this "ONLY" on the OP's very first original post and not the rhetoric that followed because these type of threads do have a way of spiraling out of control and off topic.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Ohiogirl22, so many of your posts display much anger. Could it be that on a subconscious or even on a conscious level that you actually relate more to the OP than you would care to even admit to yourself? You may suffer from Oikophobia?

You can not help where you were born and raised but you will never truly move forward until you accept who you were (are?) and let go of your anger. You are in a unique position to "teach" the OP rather than despise him. I base this "ONLY" on the OP's very first original post and not the rhetoric that followed because these type of threads do have a way of spiraling out of control and off topic.
Very well put. I was thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City