Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 AM

101 posts, read 353,906 times

Advertisements

Back home in Erie PA, which is 90% white with very few immigrants, I always wondered what it was like to be someone of color or ESL. Basically on the side of the town that I lived in nearly everyone was white. But when I visit friends in Queens New York I am shocked how out of sorts I feel walking down the street in a city where pretty much everyone is from somewhere else.

No, this is not a racist troll post complaining about dark skinned people. Instead, I am curious what other people who are white and came from communities whose population is mostly white and fifth generation American, feel living in New York City where they are the minority. How does it make you feel?

Honest answers now, and please... no political correctness, or racist posts either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 AM

43,733 posts, read 44,505,107 times
White people in NYC don't feel like a minority.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,845,333 times
NYC is epic because it teaches white people who have lived in predominantly white communities all their life some tolerance.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 AM

101 posts, read 353,906 times
Default 33% of the residents of New York City is White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
White people in NYC don't feel like a minority.
According to the US Census only 33% of the non Hispanic population of New York City is White:

New York (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

And of course the real figure is less than that because a large number of illegal immigrants are not counted in the offical census figures.

(I am not saying the low percentage fo white people in New York City is good or bad but takes some getting used to if you moved here from the majority of American Cities or Towns where White people dominate.)

Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,098,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post

(I am not saying the low percentage fo white people in New York City is good or bad but takes some getting used to if you moved here from the majority of American Cities or Towns where White people dominate.)
How would you know ?

I thought you were asking asking a question in your 1st post.Now,a few hours later,apparently you have the answer.Your own answer.

Love trolls who begin their troll threads by declaring that they are not trolls.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-27-2012 at 06:46 AM..

Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,235,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
According to the US Census only 33% of the non Hispanic population of New York City is White:

New York (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

And of course the real figure is less than that because a large number of illegal immigrants are not counted in the offical census figures.

Whites are still the largest single group in the city, by a fairly significant margin.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,233,833 times
It depends on where you live in NYC, visiting friends in Manhattan it is predominately white but you don't notice it until I visit friends out in Brooklyn and I enter areas that are less than 50% white, it is definitely a bit of a culture shock, but race has never been an issue with me. I am often times more annoyed by the fact that we as people make such an issue out of skin color when that has no merit on a person.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM

88,676 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
NYC is epic because it teaches white people who have lived in predominantly white communities all their life some tolerance.
This statement makes an erroneous assumption that white people who have lived in predominantly white communities all their lives are by default intolerant.

I grew up only 30 miles from NYC in an almost all-white town, but I was not raised with intolerance. On the contrary, my parents strongly decried racism and taught us that it was wrong and stupid. We rarely came to the city except on school field trips. My interaction with African-Americans and other races was very limited. Of course, it is very easy to espouse tolerance and anti-racism when you don't actually have to put it in practice. When I started working in the city at the age of 20 is when I finally met some actual real live people from other backgrounds and learned that the way I grew up was not the way everyone else grew up and the way I viewed the world was not the way everyone else viewed the world. I had a lot to learn, but I was able to learn--and expand my world and circle of friends--because I was not brought up to believe I was superior just because I was white.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM

684 posts, read 826,290 times
Having spent a significant amount of time in St. Lucia, I can promise you that the cultural differences are ones you'll barely notice once you stretch out on the beach and relax in that cool Caribbean breeze. It's a tropical paradise with wonderful natural landscapes, good food and friendly people.

What? New York has 30 million people and is a gigantic melting pot? And there's no tropical breezes?

Well, then I suppose it'll be like living in any large city. After a few weeks, you'll barely notice differences.

Mmm... St. Lucia.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,911,237 times
The OP's user name, might shed some light as to why he feels culturally shocked at seeing some many dark-skinned people.
Especially when you're jobless, broke and gotta compete with these people here?. Back home, at least you were competing for jobs with other whites ,right OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City