Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will be more accepted in an upscale NYC neighborhood?
White Southerner 6 15.38%
Minority 11 28.21%
Equally, comes down to how you act 22 56.41%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM

125 posts, read 268,386 times

Advertisements

basically, in a lot of the rich, upper middle class, and elite neighborhoods of NYC and outside of NYC, who will be more accepted by the people there in general?

A White Southerner or a minority (say Asian person)

I was wondering this because I am a minority myself who has run into a lot of issues down south. In fact it is so bad down here, even the few Europeans I have known here have run into racism.

Some people who are White down here have told me no matter how successful I become, no "American" will welcome my kind whether it is north, west, east, or south.

Since you guys are new yorkers, I was wondering if you could shed some light on this. I have posted a poll and you can even message me if you want if you feel that posting something on this thread alone will be too controversial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
Some people who are White down here have told me no matter how successful I become, no "American" will welcome my kind whether it is north, west, east, or south.

Because you're not "white" or because you're an immigrant? That's an odd thing to hear. It's interesting when people forget that this country was created by immigrants.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Because you're not "white" or because you're an immigrant? That's an odd thing to hear. It's interesting when people forget that this country was created by immigrants.
for me? because I am not White

for the europeans who had a bad experience here? Because they were immigrants or from another country

Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times
You can't answer this question w/o knowing what type of minority we're speaking about and what other socio-economic indicators go with him/her. Also I guess it depends on what you mean by "accepted". Does that mean the white folks would be neighborly if you moved next door, but nothing more? Does is it mean they'd invite you to stay at their place in the Hamptons for the weekend? Does it mean they'd be perfectly happy if you married their daughter or son?

But I'll give it a try anyway.

Unless you're a celebrity, in the arts, or a pro athlete, black people are generally invisible to this class. And if you ARE a celebrity, there will be many that assume you are too common and up-from-the-slums to be around, whether its true or not. There are always exceptions (thankfully) but the higher you go up the SES scale, the more this seems to be true. But the rich do have manners. They may not like you but they wont call you [racial epithets] to your face either.

Latino people can get by a bit more often because skin color isn't an issue. In the business community there are also plenty of "respectable" Latinos from all around the world -- Spain, Argentina, Mexico -- and often these people will run in the same circles. I mean after all, who is going to snub Carlos Slim (world's richest man)? But your average Puerto Rican or guy form the DR? They're invisible too.

But powerful politicians (black or Latino) will get a pass --and an invite to that Fifth Ave dinner party once in a while. Affluent whites often need their help, so they'll get past whatever qualms they may have.

I have no feel for how Asians might fare in this world. My suspicion is that there would be little to no hostility because Asians aren't genearlly perceived as threatening in any way and also thought of as smart. (Yeah, I know. It's a stereotype). But the flip side of that is that they're also thought of as boring too. Nobody goes to Sunset Park or Flushing or Chinatown for sophisticaated high times. So I dunno. Maybe a rich guy -- or an Asian here can weigh in.

As to the white southerners I thinks it would be much more of a class consideration than anything else. The upper middle class white guy from, say,Atlanta or Rchmond or Birmingham who has the class, taste, talent, and money to run with this crowd would be fine. The trailer trash gal from Tennessee? Not so much.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-07-2012 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Language - please use words that are not banned. Thank you.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 PM

I plan on being rich and I am TECHNICALLY asian (Indians are asian right?)

I wonder, are people from India viewed in the same lines as Middle Eastern people or what?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:45 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,037 times
No one cares about black and white southerners...in order to fit in with the upper echelons you have to have money...bottomline.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
NYC it dont matter what race you are, the most important color is GREEN. The Dominant upper class of NYC is mostly Jewish by the way and Wass remanants scattered through out Manhattan. Jews of NYC replaced the Wasps of Upper Class echelon. But now adays its a mishmash of races aswell from Jewish Bankers, to Wasp philantrapists to African American entertainers and producers to Puerto Rican and Italian politicians, to Chinese and Indian doctors. Minority is really not a race, what A minority is, is someone that lacks economic purchasing power. Look at how many whites lost thier homes in this economic melt down across America, look at how many single white mothers exist across this country, America thought it was a black problem its not its a national problem. No one race or kind is not immune unless you have $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Last this thread is very silly btw!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-06-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
I plan on being rich and I am TECHNICALLY asian (Indians are asian right?)

I wonder, are people from India viewed in the same lines as Middle Eastern people or what?
In what lines?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,749 times
NYC's upper echelon come from a very diverse number of backgrounds. I wouldn't even say WASP dominate. Money is the motive.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,776 times
I think it depends on what you mean by rich and what you mean by upper class. Different groups have different rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: