Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 PM

16 posts, read 25,135 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm new to this and I did a quick search and couldn't really find what I was looking for so I apologise in advance if this has been asked a thousand times, sorry!

I'm thinking about moving to New York for a job but nothing is final, no guarantees I'd get it, plus I'm from Scotland so there could be issues with visas etc etc. So this right now is all purely hypothetical, nothing set in stone but any advice/info you give would be more than appreciated.

I'm 18 and the type of job I'd be doing would give me a salary of around $27000 per year. I take care of my younger siblings ages ranging from 10-17, they would need to be in school and then there's my disabled older brother who I also care for (not sure if a move would be good for him so he might stay home with relatives). In total there would be 7 of us. We're not fussy about the size of a place, we can get by with 2 bedrooms comfortably and 1 at a squeeze. Any neighborhoods you'd recommend? I grew up with nothing, around a lot of violence and while I don't want that for the younger ones, I want to be in a place where they learn to be streetwise and learn to be around all kinds of people. An area I was looking at was High Bridge, any thoughts? I think I read somewhere that it had a lot of stair-streets? Does that mean it's completely inaccessible for somebody in a wheelchair like my brother?

I also looked at Mott Haven and Melrose, I just picked placed close-ish to where I'd work. Where out of the three would you reccommed? Can you tell me a bit about each area, the schools, the people, accessiblity etc?

Ps. Sorry it's so long, I ramble too much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,708,397 times
someone from Scotland living in Mott Haven, Melrose or High Bridge? to put it mildly, that would be a rarity. with that salary, why would you want to come to these areas or NY at all?

there are better areas farther north like Bedford Park or Norwood, where you might be around a few Irish(since you mentioned you are Scottish), but they are more expensive

don't come to Mott Haven, Melrose or High Bridge for the sole purpose of learning to be streetwise.

i say this not to be sarcastic or unsupportive, but for your own protection and well being

on second thought you say you are from Scotland so i assume you are Scotch , right?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
someone from Scotland living in Mott Haven, Melrose or High Bridge? to put it mildly, that would be a rarity. with that salary, why would you want to come to these areas or NY at all?

there are better areas farther north like Bedford Park or Norwood, where you might be around a few Irish(since you mentioned you are Scottish), but they are more expensive

don't come to Mott Haven, Melrose or High Bridge for the sole purpose of learning to be streetwise.

i say this not to be sarcastic or unsupportive, but for your own protection and well being

on second thought you say you are from Scotland so i assume you are Scotch , right?
Erm I'm Scottish yes, Scotch is a type of alcohol why do you ask?

I live in a place just now that's considered pretty bad, they have curfews at night and things 'cos people say it isn't safe, my experience is that everywhere has good and bad, but places like where I'm from have a better community and people stick together more because the high crime rates mean people look out for each other. I like that

Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
I would say Belmont is best fit for you in Bronx at least. It's mixed income but rents are very cheap. Also demographics wise it's fairly mixed (by bronx standards at least) so you might not feel as uncomfortable as some other areas. There is also Woodlawn which has a lot of Irish but is out of your price range in all likelihood. I've heard stories about a lot of new Irish people being helped out considerably (i.e. cheaper rent) by their fellow countrymen in Woodlawn but don't know if they extend that help to Scottish people as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,137 times
I commend you for taking care of your siblings but to put it bluntly, with your expected salary and household size you will be living in poverty and have a very hard time finding somebody wanting to rent you an apartment, let alone survive in nyc.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,137 times
Quote:

Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I commend you for taking care of your siblings but to put it bluntly, with your expected salary and household size you will be living in poverty and have a very hard time finding somebody wanting to rent you an apartment, let alone survive in nyc.
Without sounding stupid, why would there be such difficulty? And we live in poverty anyway, this salary is more than double what I earn now, and with the added costs of living it still leaves us better off than what we are now. Plus, it would give an opportunity to progress as the pay rises with time and experience, something my current job does not offer, so in theory the hard times shouldn't last forever.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I would say Belmont is best fit for you in Bronx at least. It's mixed income but rents are very cheap. Also demographics wise it's fairly mixed (by bronx standards at least) so you might not feel as uncomfortable as some other areas. There is also Woodlawn which has a lot of Irish but is out of your price range in all likelihood. I've heard stories about a lot of new Irish people being helped out considerably (i.e. cheaper rent) by their fellow countrymen in Woodlawn but don't know if they extend that help to Scottish people as well.
Thanks, this is genuinely really helpful, thankyou very much

Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,708,397 times
my sister in law refers to herself as Scotch-Irish

Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
my sister in law refers to herself as Scotch-Irish
I think that's an American thing, as here in Scotland we refer to ourselves as Scottish or Weedgies if you're from around the west of Scotland. Sometimes we speak so fast that it sounds like 'scotch' but it's definitely Scottish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City