Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:52 PM

82 posts, read 218,940 times

Advertisements

I'll let other people give recommendations about the Bronx, because I don't know it well. But I've lived in Scotland, though not in a part anyone would call dangerous. Anyway, the point is that I'd rather have half $27,000 in Scotland than $27,000 here. Any day of the week. In any circumstance.

I don't know how to say this clearly enough - this is the worst place imaginable (in the US) for a family of 7 people with $27,000. The way people here with so little money make it is by relying on help - public housing especially. I don't even know if you would be eligible for most of it.

Anyway, what you're doing is very admirable. You have my best wishes. But this is a really terrible idea. If you go ahead with it, you had better be a badass, because it is going to suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:07 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,636,599 times
I've heard that parts of Scotland can be rough. My concern wouldn't be danger, as crime in much of the Bronx is really exaggerated--my concern would be schools for your siblings. I can't imagine an 18 year old navigating the middle-school and high-school admission process for his yonger siblings. If you really want to come here, Woodlawn has a good local middle school. There are tons of illegal apartments there, but it would be very hard to imagine someone renting one out to 7 people. Really, you might want to wait until your siblings are out of school. Also a family making $27,000 here would be helped by food stamps and possibly other programs, but would you be eligible for this assistance? I don't know how you put a roof over your head / feed that many people / provide medical care without subsidies.

Last edited by yodel; 05-09-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 PM

62 posts, read 187,597 times
Checkmatechamp posted a link sometime ago which showed the average yearly income for each neighborhood in the Bronx. It would definitely help this guy out if anyone can post the link.

Thou I remember the income for most of the neighborhoods ranged from 20,000 to 30,000. This is considered poor in NYC. Now do remember our households usually contain 3-4 people. It will be really rough, scratch that, EXTREMELY rough trying to support seven people with that income.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:20 PM

16 posts, read 25,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varan View Post
I'll let other people give recommendations about the Bronx, because I don't know it well. But I've lived in Scotland, though not in a part anyone would call dangerous. Anyway, the point is that I'd rather have half $27,000 in Scotland than $27,000 here. Any day of the week. In any circumstance.

I don't know how to say this clearly enough - this is the worst place imaginable (in the US) for a family of 7 people with $27,000. The way people here with so little money make it is by relying on help - public housing especially. I don't even know if you would be eligible for most of it.

Anyway, what you're doing is very admirable. You have my best wishes. But this is a really terrible idea. If you go ahead with it, you had better be a badass, because it is going to suck.
I thank you for your honesty, I really do. I haven't made any definite plans or anything just yet, I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can before making any decisions. Is it because of food prices and rent prices? What other reasons? I'm kinda hoping that it won't be this hard forever as one of my brothers is 17 and so he could finish up school and get a job/education of some sort and may not stay with us forever. My sister is about to turn 16 so the same could be said for her I guess. Plus with a slowly rising income, 5 years down the line it might not be so bad.

One of my aunts has offered to take care of my older brother as a massive upheaval could be really bad for him and if I couldn't afford some of the things essential to his care, then we'd be in a right mess. I'd hope to bring him over when we were a bit more financially settled. I think the main thing that is attracting me is the opportunity for progression, in my current job there is none and it's depressing to be on minimum wage forever, no chance of it getting any better, no hope of any prospects for the younger ones either.

It's probably crazy and at this stage it's just an idea but I feel like it could be a good chance for my family in the future. I'd like to think I'm a wee bit of a 'badass' I didn't always have the responsibility of 6 siblings it happened suddenly, at the age of 17.

Thank you so much anyway for your advice
If you don't mind my asking, what part of Scotland was it? Did you like it?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM

16 posts, read 25,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I've heard that parts of Scotland can be rough. My concern wouldn't be danger, as crime in much of the Bronx is really exaggerated--my concern would be schools for your siblings. I can't imagine an 18 year old navigating the middle-school and high-school admission process for his yonger siblings. If you really want to come here, Woodlawn has a good local middle school. There are tons of illegal apartments there, but it would be very hard to imagine someone renting one out to 7 people. Really, you might want to wait until your siblings are out of school. Also a family making $27,000 here would be helped by food stamps and possibly other programs, but would you be eligible for this assistance? I don't know how you put a roof over your head / feed that many people / provide medical care without subsidies.
Thanks for the tip about Woodlawn, I'll keep it in mind. I sometimes wonder how my money manages to stretch, simple fact is we go hungry a lot as the portion sizes we eat just aren't enough. Other times I can get free food from work if it's been held in the freezer too long, but this is rare. Oh btw I'm a girl hehe

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
You CANNOT live in New York and support yourself and two others on $27,000/year...you simply cannot.
And believe me this is coming from someone who can make a NICKEL do a dollar's work.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,636,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeSparkie View Post
Thanks for the tip about Woodlawn, I'll keep it in mind. I sometimes wonder how my money manages to stretch, simple fact is we go hungry a lot as the portion sizes we eat just aren't enough. Other times I can get free food from work if it's been held in the freezer too long, but this is rare. Oh btw I'm a girl hehe
Good luck to you. I thought that Europe had a much better social support system than the US. If it was just you, it would be one thing to come here, but with minors to support, I think it's best to stick with the situation that you know for the time being.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,259,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Good luck to you. I thought that Europe had a much better social support system than the US. If it was just you, it would be one thing to come here, but with minors to support, I think it's best to stick with the situation that you know for the time being.
Let's not forget that Scotland has a long history of poverty, quality of life issues etc... "the slums of Glasgow".

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 05-09-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,137,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmacked View Post
Checkmatechamp posted a link sometime ago which showed the average yearly income for each neighborhood in the Bronx. It would definitely help this guy out if anyone can post the link.

Thou I remember the income for most of the neighborhoods ranged from 20,000 to 30,000. This is considered poor in NYC. Now do remember our households usually contain 3-4 people. It will be really rough, scratch that, EXTREMELY rough trying to support seven people with that income.
You mean this one?

Click "View More Maps" and then click on Income.

These are estimates, though.

You can also try looking at the different neighborhoods in this link here. (But keep in mind that the boundaries don't always correspond with the traditionally accepted boundaries of the neighborhood in question)

Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,259,559 times
Here is another one. Bronx real estate news, data and statistics, home sales and real estate listings | Bronx

Cencus tract 69 (in Mott Haven/Melrose) with a median income of $10,576

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 05-09-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City