Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM

71 posts, read 224,796 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/ny...amenities.html

"Rare is the New Yorker not afflicted by real estate envy. In this city of dreams and dissatisfactions, where public housing and squished tenements sit an air shaft away from multimillion-dollar apartments, coveting thy neighbor’s home is as common as breathing in exhaust."

Moderator cut: Copyright issue: a snip and link is appropriate, not copying full text.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-06-2011 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Copyright issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
I read that article... Great article.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm pretty sick of this self entitlement attitude that some of the lower income people of this city have. The Edge has already given them a cheap apt in a hip neighborhood, but they still want more. If you can't afford one of the luxury apts then you dont get it. These type of people deserve to be driven out back into whatever Moderator cut: Langugage neighborhood they crawled out of.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-07-2011 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-06-2011, 01:11 PM

175 posts, read 487,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABklynDude View Post
I'm pretty sick of this self entitlement attitude that some of the lower income people of this city have. The Edge has already given them a cheap apt in a hip neighborhood, but they still want more. If you can't afford one of the luxury apts then you dont get it. These type of people deserve to be driven out back into whatever Moderator cut: Language neighborhood they crawled out of.

If you read the article, everyone knows about the separation issues and only 1 person complained out of the others they interviewed.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-07-2011 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 PM

1 complained, the others expected it, and one said he didnt want to seem ungrateful. They should not have even expected it to begin with. This should not have even made the papers to begin with. Their basically trying get some pity for these apt lottery winners, and at the same time make the people who worked hard and saved to buy a condo look like asses for not letting these people use their amenities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
If you read the article, everyone knows about the separation issues and only 1 person complained out of the others they interviewed.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:19 PM

233 posts, read 720,686 times
I'm sorry, but these people "win the lottery" and get lower than market rate for a great apartment, but that's not enough, they want access to the "luxury" amenities. This article is truly the epitome of what is wrong with the "system". They somehow deserve access to these amenities because they are "taxpayers".

Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Paying below market rate in one of NYC's trendiest neighborhoods?

In the words of Charlie Sheen...

Winning!

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Northside piers is a total piece of crap anyway.LOL at "luxury". The place is crumbling already.

Disgruntled Northside Piers Buyers Declare War on Toll Brothers - Complaints Dept. - Curbed NY

Williamsburg waterfront condo residents complain of 'shoddy' construction - NYPOST.com

http://thewgnews.com/2011/03/18155/

Old 05-06-2011, 07:44 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABklynDude View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/ny...amenities.html

"Rare is the New Yorker not afflicted by real estate envy. In this city of dreams and dissatisfactions, where public housing and squished tenements sit an air shaft away from multimillion-dollar apartments, coveting thy neighbor’s home is as common as breathing in exhaust."

Moderator cut: Copyright issue: a snip and link is appropriate, not copying full text.
LOL...you think that is typical of low income people? I think people in general are like that, no matter what tax bracket they are in.

As it relates to the article, in one of the buildings, the Lottery winners and the unit owners live on separate sides so I can see not having access but only from a purely structural aspect.

The other building, well, like it or not they are residents and should have equal access. I think most of the owners would say they same. If I were a unit owner I'd feel the lottery winners were a part of the community, therefore they should be able to enjoy the same aminities in the building as I do.

So what if I paid full price and they got a great deal? That's life. Life isn't fair.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
@ Abklynndude I don't understand you're obsession or hatred for these low-income folk... it seems like you're obsessed with pointing out their flaws now that they feel they are being priced out of their neighborhoods...

If you hate them as much as it shows from all your threads and posts... simply move out of Bushwick... that is your right and you dont need to live there or try to make it trendy like a Williamsburg so that you can return profit... just move into a neighborhood where you won't have to deal with hood characters, its as simple as that... but you're obsession really is unhealthy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City