Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine US immigration would let a family of 7 in with little in the way of obvious financial support, especially by an 18 year old. They would think they are letting an obvious welfare case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Definitely not Mott Haven. It is the highest crime area in the Bronx. Really, all three neighborhoods you mentioned suck. I agree with the Bedford Park suggestion, maybe you can luck out and find a cheap apartment?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 AM

82 posts, read 218,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeSparkie View Post
I thank you for your honesty, I really do. I haven't made any definite plans or anything just yet, I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can before making any decisions. Is it because of food prices and rent prices? What other reasons? I'm kinda hoping that it won't be this hard forever as one of my brothers is 17 and so he could finish up school and get a job/education of some sort and may not stay with us forever. My sister is about to turn 16 so the same could be said for her I guess. Plus with a slowly rising income, 5 years down the line it might not be so bad.

One of my aunts has offered to take care of my older brother as a massive upheaval could be really bad for him and if I couldn't afford some of the things essential to his care, then we'd be in a right mess. I'd hope to bring him over when we were a bit more financially settled. I think the main thing that is attracting me is the opportunity for progression, in my current job there is none and it's depressing to be on minimum wage forever, no chance of it getting any better, no hope of any prospects for the younger ones either.

It's probably crazy and at this stage it's just an idea but I feel like it could be a good chance for my family in the future. I'd like to think I'm a wee bit of a 'badass' I didn't always have the responsibility of 6 siblings it happened suddenly, at the age of 17.

Thank you so much anyway for your advice
If you don't mind my asking, what part of Scotland was it? Did you like it?
I lived on the east coast, in Fife. I loved Scotland. But I had a privileged life there - uni student for 4 years, enough money to enjoy being a student and ponce around doing fun things. I wasn't raising a bunch of kids without help, so I can't imagine how tough you have it.

You sound like you're from Glasgow or thereabout. If so, I know that's a big city and all, but Glasgow is to New York City as a fly is to a wasp. Really. And the Bronx makes the rough parts of Glasgow look like a joke.

As for New York, yes, rent and food. Like I said, my friends who make less money and still live in NYC live in public housing of one sort or another, for better or worse. It's hard to imagine how much money decent housing costs. What do you live in now?

But that's not it. Take health care, for instance. You're used to having the NHS. You won't here. Sure, you're young and probably healthy, but things can go wrong, and there will be no mercy if it does. Education? Honestly (and if I sound like I'm being condescending, I apologize) you sound pretty bright. Let's say you eventually decide on some sort of higher education to improve your lot in life. How would you pay for university or other education for you or your siblings? Those things are extremely expensive here. I'm not even sure how you would be able to pay for transportation over here on 27k, in addition to everything else. And none of that even takes into account taxes, which are high in NYC.

If I was you, here's what I'd do based on the little I've read from you so far; shepherd your two older siblings to adulthood in Scotland in the next few years. Get some education of some sort, if you can. And then try to come here. You'll at least have a shot then.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:21 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
What you're attempting to do is very admirable but it sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. Supporting seven people on a salary of $27k almost anywhere in the US would be extraordinarily difficult but you're considering doing it in the most expensive city in the US. Frankly, making it here as ONE person on 27k can be difficult.

Since it's obvious you want to improve your station in life, why not try to move here yourself and work your job? Stay in a share in the Bronx, live modestly, and if you have anything leftover (which you probably won't on 27k) then send it back to help your family? In the meantime you'll hopefully move up in your job and can perhaps someday bring your family over.

With all of that said, there are REAL practical limitations that I think will probably stop this plan dead. First off I can't see immigration officials allowing a family of seven into the US when you'd pretty much immediately be impoverished and/or needing public assistance. I don't know what kind of work you do but typically an employer who will bring people in from out of the country (through legal channels) has to show a specific need that requires your expertise and which they cannot fill locally. I don't mean to offend, but usually jobs paying 27k are not "highly specialized" and can be filled domestically.

Lastly, as others mentioned, the public schools in most of the areas you can afford are absolutely abysmal. You wouldn't be doing your siblings any favors by putting them in there. They'd definitely learn "street smarts" real quick because they'd need them just to make it though the day.

If you're hellbent on coming to the US I would strongly recommend choosing a MUCH cheaper area of this country where you have a better chance of making it.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Did anyone actually read his comment? He is the sole breadwinner at $27K, and supporting a total family of 7 (Including himself), and he is looking for a 2 bedroom or maybe a 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, NOBODY in Melrose/Mott Haven, or anywhere else is going to rent 7 people a 2 bedroom apt, so forget about a 1 bedroom. And based on his income, he could not afford a $1,200 a month 2 bedroom which is the bottom of the market realistically anyway.

So while I commend him for wanting to improve his lot in life, moving to NYC to support a family of 7 on $27K is not the way to do that, UNLESS he finds a way to get into the system, and access city services, like welfare and housing. Otherwise this is not a smart move and he will not be able to find an apartment.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Did anyone actually read his comment? He is the sole breadwinner at $27K, and supporting a total family of 7 (Including himself), and he is looking for a 2 bedroom or maybe a 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, NOBODY in Melrose/Mott Haven, or anywhere else is going to rent 7 people a 2 bedroom apt, so forget about a 1 bedroom. And based on his income, he could not afford a $1,200 a month 2 bedroom which is the bottom of the market realistically anyway.

So while I commend him for wanting to improve his lot in life, moving to NYC to support a family of 7 on $27K is not the way to do that, UNLESS he finds a way to get into the system, and access city services, like welfare and housing. Otherwise this is not a smart move and he will not be able to find an apartment.
Yeah, this pretty much sums it up, end of story. Even if you could make it through all the other hurdles (which I doubt) there are:

A) No 2 bedroom apartments for $675 which would be the max you could afford based on the 40x rent to income guidelines.
B) No landlords that would rent a two bedroom to a family of 7.

Like everyone has said, it's an admirable goal you have, but it is basically an impossibility.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:46 PM

16 posts, read 25,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varan;
I lived on the east coast, in Fife. I loved Scotland. But I had a privileged life there - uni student for 4 years, enough money to enjoy being a student and ponce around doing fun things. I wasn't raising a bunch of kids without help, so I can't imagine how tough you have it.

You sound like you're from Glasgow or thereabout. If so, I know that's a big city and all, but Glasgow is to New York City as a fly is to a wasp. Really. And the Bronx makes the rough parts of Glasgow look like a joke.

As for New York, yes, rent and food. Like I said, my friends who make less money and still live in NYC live in public housing of one sort or another, for better or worse. It's hard to imagine how much money decent housing costs. What do you live in now?

But that's not it. Take health care, for instance. You're used to having the NHS. You won't here. Sure, you're young and probably healthy, but things can go wrong, and there will be no mercy if it does. Education? Honestly (and if I sound like I'm being condescending, I apologize) you sound pretty bright. Let's say you eventually decide on some sort of higher education to improve your lot in life. How would you pay for university or other education for you or your siblings? Those things are extremely expensive here. I'm not even sure how you would be able to pay for transportation over here on 27k, in addition to everything else. And none of that even takes into account taxes, which are high in NYC.

If I was you, here's what I'd do based on the little I've read from you so far; shepherd your two older siblings to adulthood in Scotland in the next few years. Get some education of some sort, if you can. And then try to come here. You'll at least have a shot then.
Well guessed, I live in a housing estate on the outskirts of Glasgow. You give good advice, especially on the health care situation, this idea may not be the immediate future, it is that. Just an idea. We live in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom ground floor flat at the moment but we only occupy one of the bedrooms, it's a tight squeeze! I pay £470 per month for rent which is a disgrace considering the mess of the place, dampness and the fact that water pours through the ceiling every time upstairs turn the water on :O It rains more inside than it does out haha. Wow, Fife is lovely apparently and if my guess is correct your university is EXTREMELY prestigous. You don't sound like you're being condescending at all, I have actually been there and done that with regards to university. I had to leave after a year though as I was working nights on top of studying and I was barely seeing my family and I managed to make myself quite ill from lack of sleep/stress/lack of food and it just wasn't working out. I started when I was 16, because I did all my exams early. Once again, thank you for your good advice about the eldest ones finishing up education here I will take all your advice on board

Old 05-10-2012, 01:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Here is another one. Bronx real estate news, data and statistics, home sales and real estate listings | Bronx

Cencus tract 69 (in Mott Haven/Melrose) with a median income of $10,576
I don't know about the income, but the racial demographics look way off. I remember looking at the census data, and no way were there any tracts in the South Bronx with White populations of 20-30% (and I don't think they are counting White Hispanics because those numbers roughly add up to 100%). All the census tracts in the South Bronx had White populations of 5% or less.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I don't know about the income, but the racial demographics look way off. I remember looking at the census data, and no way were there any tracts in the South Bronx with White populations of 20-30% (and I don't think they are counting White Hispanics because those numbers roughly add up to 100%). All the census tracts in the South Bronx had White populations of 5% or less.
Those whites include Hispanic whites.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
These incomes can be accurate. The census tract is just a couple blocks really, so if you just take census tracts which occupy housing projects, these incomes would be spot on as many people simply don't work, are on SS as their primary source of income, or work part-time/minimum wage jobs to keep their benefits.

Census tracts in and around housing projects are destitute. Oftentimes when you take slices of areas outside of housing projects you will find the incomes increase dramatically. As for the racial breakdowns, clearly there are not 20-30% whites in these census tracts, so not sure what that is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City