Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,449,688 times

Advertisements

I would suggest looking through visa information from the US Embassy in London, as Edinburgh is a consulate, and the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. That will allow you to have a better grasp of the situation for your situation. It can be difficult from certain countries to obtain a permanent visa, especially without employer sponsorship. Someone who used to rent an apartment from a friend of mine was from Ireland, and a structural engineer, and it took years, because of a job change when the sponsoring organization went bankrupt, and a return to Ireland for a year, and the assistance of an immigration lawyer, for them to get settled with a permanent visa.

Home | Embassy of the United States London, UK

USCIS Home Page

There is also an immigration forum on this site, where some of the members who post there might be better able to give you insight.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 AM

16 posts, read 25,149 times
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. The biggest issue I think I'll have the the fact they're my siblings not children, but if I can prove that all other potential legal guardians are dead it might work out ok.

My job is a funny one, I'm something called an HCA. It means that I'm basically a nurse with no qualifacations. In work I can do almost everything a nurse would do except I do more patient care and I can't do all the paperwork. If I became an actual nurse then that would be on the listed of wanted jobs, but it takes 4 years which I can't afford. I have done the first part of my training to become an ACA which is like an EMT that's still recieving training, this would only take a year and I'd still be paid because it's learning on the job. I've checked, and I don't think I'd need to do very much training once over there as the ambulance training in Scotland is very good so I'd just sit the exams and be good to go. However I don't think EMTs are as sought after as nurses, what a dilemma!

So that's where I stand just now, oh and the reason I chose NYC was basically because I work best in accident and emergency departments, in the stressful busy areas so in a densely populated city I guessed there would be more ambulance stations as ambulances would cover smaller areas, and more hospitals with A&E departments. Just so there would be more jobs, so more chance of getting one. But thanks again for the visa info!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 AM

82 posts, read 219,045 times
Quote:
So that's where I stand just now, oh and the reason I chose NYC was basically because I work best in accident and emergency departments, in the stressful busy areas so in a densely populated city I guessed there would be more ambulance stations as ambulances would cover smaller areas, and more hospitals with A&E departments. Just so there would be more jobs, so more chance of getting one. But thanks again for the visa info!
If this is the theory, why not try London first? It's as big as NYC, but without some of the problems you'll have coming here.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM

510 posts, read 2,245,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeSparkie View Post
I'm grateful to you for your blunt honesty, in an ideal world I would come to new york, save hard and then bring my family over, we'd live in a 3 bed flat and I'd progress quickly in my job and life would be sweet, trouble is we're on our own. I don't have anyone to leave 5 kids and an adult with. I can work a while here and try save a bit first but the money barely stretches as it is. But yeah, I'm not looking for it all to happen instantly, I just know that I have to find a way to give those kids a better life than what they have now. And on paper, New York looked like it could deliver that, but this is what it's all about, researching so I know EXACTLY what I'd be getting into instead of just going in blind.

Thanks once again
Whatever you do end up deciding I hope you make it! You seem very determined and your posts are well thought out and eloquent which is much more than I can say for most people your age on this board. It says a lot about your character that you want to do well for your family and if you come off half as well in person as you do on this board them I'm sure you'd be an asset for any number of potential employers.

Someone else mentioned Buffalo. It's not a glamorous place but it's much more affordable. You can find 3 bedrooms there for around $600-700 (not in "desireable" neighborhoods, but in areas that are arguably much better than what you could find for double the cost in the Bronx). There are options for employment there that would probably get you close to the $27k you're talking about here. (I lived in Buffalo for 15+ years so I'm not just speculating).

You seem like a smart kid with a good head on your shoulders. I wish you the best!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM

37 posts, read 76,121 times
I totally admire what you're doing but speaking as a Brit in NYC who is very familiar with the immigration process I can tell you now that your chance of getting a visa to work here is virtually nil. Most US visa types require at least a bachelors degree and if you don't have that you'd need around 12 years professional work experience.

I don't want to put a downer on your ambitions but that's the reality. I'd move to London and try your luck there. The UK is a far better place to be as a low income family than here.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:47 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,449,688 times
NYC can be difficult; however, I agree with what others have already said in that your determination and demeanor speak very highly of your character as you make a better life for you and your siblings. Right now, a university degree might be too expensive, but when you are able, go back for a nursing degree. I have no doubt that you would be an awesome health care professional, and starting as an EMT is a great foundation. Even if you go to school as a mature student, with the youngest of your siblings, it's worth the sacrifice, since you are already making a difference in the lives of your own family.

If in your future, New York is an option, we would certainly be the better for having someone who can survive and craft their own path through adversity. Visas can be a bureaucratic mess, but find out what you need to do, and work towards it. New York will still be here in 5 years, 10 years, etc. And, I have no doubt that you will be in a better position to enjoy more of what NY, and the US, has to offer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM

16 posts, read 25,149 times
Once again, I cannot even begin to thank you all enough for giving such sound, honest and extremely helpful advice. You have provided information way over and above my initial wee question about the three neighborhoods, your advice on the immigration system, my education and career and suggestions for the future of my family will be invaluable.

Just to clear up, I did think about London but it's again extremely expesive. The big attraction to NYC was the fact that I could earn more than twice what I'm earning now, so with that the added cost of living doesn't seem too terrible. In London however, I'd earn the same amount as up here and the cost of living isn't one I'd be able to meet. Plus, I don't think I could inflict England on my siblings. We are a bit like the Weasleys from Harry Potter, we've all got ginger hair And we'd get so much abuse because we're Scottish and they hate us down there hehe.

Once again thank you so much, and thanks for the tip about Buffalo, I'll bear it in mind for the future. Again just out of pure curiosity, can you reccommend a neighborhood in NYC (or Buffalo) that is good for wheelchair accessibility? It would be a massive priority for my brother if/when we were to come over.

Thanks again

Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,502 times
I just wanted to add in a little advice Wee Sparkie.

I am just wondering if you rent from a council or from private landlord? Water pouring through a ceiling is unacceptable, there are legal standards that can be applied either through Environmental Health Housing or via a Housing law centre.

I would also wonder as to whether you are stat overcrowded anyway, and should be entitled to a move, if this is a council flat. All in one bedroom is not good, there are a huge range of health impacts from being overcrowded like this, as Im sure as a HCA you are aware.

London isnt as expensive as NYC due to the costs of the health service for one. If you had to pay health insurance for 7 of you out of 27k US you would have very little left at all! one thing you will get ( to an extent) is support with LHA which I doubt that you would be entitled to a similar contribution from the US Government.

(Ps no, all English people dont hate scots, there are very many Scottish people living here in London who Ive worked with within the NHS too!)

Old 05-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,188,271 times
This is very strange. Where have your parents been all this time, Wee? If they're gone and you've been raising the other children since 16 yo, when you worked full time and attended a university full time, wouldn't someone have noticed by now? As far as I know, the social safety nets are better in the UK than in the US, but even here a family headed by a 16 yo who provided the sole means of support would have been sent off to foster homes.

This does not compute.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,502 times
The way that Uk social work law is, is that a disabled child is automatically a 'child in need' and so needs to be regularly monitored by social workers to ensure the childs welfare ( S17, Children Act 1989) the whole family support system is part of that monitoring. Did they not intervene about the overcrowding and poor housing conditions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City