Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,411 times

Advertisements

Hi I am visiting New York from Chicago and was wondering what are some things to do that are not touristy. I want to go to neighborhoods that people don't usually see that are interesting and possibly outside of Manhattan.

Specifically what neighborhoods to walk through that are historic or cool places to see that visitors don't usually go. I say this because every time friends come to visit they only what to stay in the Loop/river north/downtown areas and try to get them to see other places of the city.

I'm in town for a couple of days and would really appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,646 times
bay ridge over by the ft hamilton army base.

nice park named owls head park.

the brooklyn botanical garden is nice too and you can walk up eastern parkway.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM

510 posts, read 2,244,182 times
What are some of the areas of Chicago you like? I'm sure we can draw neighborhood parallels for you.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,411 times
I like andersonville, pilsen, bucktown/wicker park, humboldt park, ukranian village/noble square to hang out or eat. For places of historical value or nice neighborhoods to visit I like uptown and Hyde Park.

Andersonville is definitely one of my favorite neighborhoods and is really a hidden gem in the city.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,583,220 times
The weather has been so beautiful - I would recommend renting a bicycle and going up and down the Westside Highway path and through Central Park. Enjoy the beauty of NYC spring!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EamusCatuli View Post
Hi I am visiting New York from Chicago and was wondering what are some things to do that are not touristy. I want to go to neighborhoods that people don't usually see that are interesting and possibly outside of Manhattan.

Specifically what neighborhoods to walk through that are historic or cool places to see that visitors don't usually go. I say this because every time friends come to visit they only what to stay in the Loop/river north/downtown areas and try to get them to see other places of the city.

I'm in town for a couple of days and would really appreciate your help.
Go to Brooklyn and explore Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope. Pretty architecture. Then take a ferry to Staten Island. In Queens you can go to Astoria and have a Greek meal. Go up to Arthur Ave. in the Bronx for pizza or Italian food. if you are youngish and hippish you might like exploring Williamsburg in Broooklyn. I think most of Manhattan has been discovered, but if you want to get off the beaten path, check out the Cloisters or St.John's the Divine in upper Manhattan.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM

180 posts, read 335,433 times
You should buy yourself a couple of Four Lokos (grape), go to Central Park, ride the subways or visit any of the five borroughs and laugh/trip out on how miserable the people of NYC look.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Not quite touristy but interesting nabes:

Jackson Heights Queens, the most diverse place in the city and restaurants from damn near every country in the world it seems

Williamsburg Brooklyn, epicenter of hipsterdom these day

Arthur Ave in the Bronx, a more authentic Little Italy than Manhattan's though still a bit touristy

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Take the Roosevelt Island tram for a great view of the city and then walk along the promenade on Roosevelt Island for another view of the Manhattan.

Visit Forest Hills Gardens and see the beautiful homes as well as the cobble stoned style town square under the Forest Hills LIRR train station that feels like being in a small European village. Nearby is Austin St. where one can always find interesting restaurants of various ethnic backgrounds to eat at.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 AM

510 posts, read 2,244,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EamusCatuli View Post
I like andersonville, pilsen, bucktown/wicker park, humboldt park, ukranian village/noble square to hang out or eat. For places of historical value or nice neighborhoods to visit I like uptown and Hyde Park.

Andersonville is definitely one of my favorite neighborhoods and is really a hidden gem in the city.

Thanks so much for your help.
Sounds like you'd enjoy Brooklyn. For the Wicker Park/Bucktown vibe that's definitely Williamsburg, particularly the Bedford Ave. stop on the L. Walk north to Greenpoint and it's a bit of a Ukrainian Village vibe. If you want a little more grit with your gentrification try Bushwick around the Morgan L stop. If I'm not mistaken, Humboldt Park has seen some of the overflow from Wicker Park/Bucktown....Bushwick is similar (lots of overflow from Williamsburg. It's a post industrial loft area with lots of young people. It's a little TOO cool for me but it's up and coming. Roberta's, a restaurant there, is raved about by the NY Times.

For something similar to Pilsen check out Jackson Heights in Queens. One of the most diverse areas in all of NYC with tons of food options.

Walk down 5th Ave in Park Slope and Smith and/or Court St. in Carroll Gardens (both in Brooklyn). Check out Prospect Park if the weather is nice. That should give you a combination of Hyde Park and some of the uptown neighborhoods.

Most of what I've recommended is in the popular (with transplants, anyways) areas of Brooklyn. You can find out whatever you need to know about Manhattan in any guide book so I won't waste your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City