Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,429 times

Advertisements

Hey!

So my best friend and I decided that was time for us to go visit NYC since we've never been there before.
We are planning on going there for a weekend in September, and since neither of us have idea of what is dangerous, nice, etc, etc, (you hear so many things that you really can't tell what's true or not) I figured we needed some help to find a hotel to stay and have some pointers on where not to go, and where to go for sure!
(and by the way, we are 2 women, traveling by ourselves... so...)

Anyway, I would really appreciate any help and info for tourists. We both love Museums, atractions, etc etc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 03:19 PM

43,733 posts, read 44,495,603 times
Manhattan is relatively safe. What is your budget for a hotel room?
There are plenty of attractions & museums depending on your interests.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM

648 posts, read 1,620,417 times
New York, as is the case with basically all of America's large cities, is not even close to as bad as it was 15+ years ago. Or even 10 years ago. You should be safe in Manhattan, even Harlem is nice compared to what it was, but I wouldn't recommend tourists especially lady tourists staying anywhere that far uptown especially if you will be out late.

What to do all depends on what you are interested in. Do you want to see the tourist sites or see the actual reality of the city? Do you want glamour or grit? Do you want to know where real NY pizza is?

Try not to stick around Times Square all the time. Get a map with subway lines on it and venture around. Instead of the Empire State Building, you could go to Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center which I find to have better views especially at night anyway plus the lines will be shorter.

You could go to some of the neighborhoods south of Midtown. My personal favorite neighborhood is the Lower East Side because it is one of the few real neighborhoods left in Manhattan.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,429 times
Thanks for your replies!
Russian I do want to know where real NY Pizza is!
We definitely want to go visit as many tourist sites as we can, and if we have time, look around the city a little
About budget... well... we have until september to save some money, and we are going to split the cost, so we probably can get a decent room...
That's another thing, does anyone have an idea o how much a nice hotel room costs in Manhattan (since it looks like is the recommended place)?
Could you point me to any specific addresses I can look up?
Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help

Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,705,075 times
NYC is quite safe these days. Since you're smart to be planning so far in advance, what you really should do is start leafing through some guidebooks.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 PM

648 posts, read 1,620,417 times
A few of the most well known pizzerias are Lombardi's in Little Italy, Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, Patsy's has quite a few places now around Manhattan, and Di Fara in Brooklyn. Lombardi's has kind of turned into a tourist destination and can get quite crowded at times.

For hotels I have never stayed in one here but for the price I heard excellent things about Club Quarters right across the street from Rockefeller Center. Looks like it may be more expensive in September for some reason but a friend stayed there for under $160 a night which is fairly cheap for Manhattan. There are small hotels around Manhattan that offer lower rates for sure but the only hotel in NY I can speak on is Club Quarters.

Club Quarters, Opposite Rockefeller Center | New York City Hotels | Midtown Manhattan Accommodation

Club Quarters, Opposite Rockefeller Center, New York City, NY, United States Overview | priceline.com

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 07-02-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City