Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 08:46 PM

295 posts, read 838,608 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

On a whim's notice, my best friend and I decided to visit NY during New Year's weekend and we are super excited! But since that's such a busy time and I'm expecting some things not to be open so...what can we do? I was hoping some of the awesome posters from the NY board can shed some light. Here's the background on us, our trip and a few questions:

- We're 24. I haven't been to NY since I was 13, and she's never been -we have no idea what to expect.

- Safety is not too much of a concern. We're both Chicago natives, (the actual city not some craptastic suburb) so we're pretty street saavy.

- We'll be in NY from 12/30 - 1/4 and staying in Brooklyn with a friend. How do I get to Brooklyn from JFK? On a flight to Boston last year, I had to stop at JFK and it seems like it's a little farther from the city...

- We want to do the generic tourist things but try out some not-so-touristy things as well. What can you guys recommend? BTW - We probably won't do the Times Square thing on NYE.

- She's a vegetarian, and I've never met a cow I didn't like. Any food suggestions?

Anything you guys have to offer, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:36 PM

278 posts, read 547,169 times
About the JFK to BK thing i normally take the airtrain right outside to howard beach then the A train

Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,842,474 times
Quote:
- She's a vegetarian, and I've never met a cow I didn't like. Any food suggestions?
My lil sis is a Vegan and I took her to Cafeteria (i kno i know) and she really loved the veggie burger. she liked it so much we went twice in 2 days!

Also cant go wrong with sushi for veggies since they usually have vegetarian rolls and other things you might like.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:40 AM

43,733 posts, read 44,495,603 times
For a vegetarian I would suggest kosher dairy restaurants that don't serve meat such as The Vegetable Garden Kosher Dairy Restaurant .
There are plenty of things to do in NYC. I suggest the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the American Museum of Natural History, the Museum of the City of NY Museum of the City of New York (which gives you the history of NYC). All these museums have a suggested contribution so you can pay what you wish for admission.
On New Year's Day when most things are closed, if the weather is okay, I suggest visiting Central Park, walking along 5th Avenue. Alternately, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, visiting the promenade in Brooklyn Heights (which gives you a great view of Manhattan). Also taking a ride on Staten Island ferry (which is free) from which one gets an excellent view of Statue of Liberty (good for picture taking). Another great view of the Manhattan skyline you get from the Roosevelt Island tram and also there is a promenade on the Roosevelt Island side looking towards Manhattan.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My lil sis is a Vegan and I took her to Cafeteria (i kno i know) and she really loved the veggie burger. she liked it so much we went twice in 2 days!

Also cant go wrong with sushi for veggies since they usually have vegetarian rolls and other things you might like.
Mmmm...I would kill for good sushi. Know of any good places? Also, where is Cafeteria?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
For a vegetarian I would suggest kosher dairy restaurants that don't serve meat such as The Vegetable Garden Kosher Dairy Restaurant .
There are plenty of things to do in NYC. I suggest the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the American Museum of Natural History, the Museum of the City of NY Museum of the City of New York (which gives you the history of NYC). All these museums have a suggested contribution so you can pay what you wish for admission.
On New Year's Day when most things are closed, if the weather is okay, I suggest visiting Central Park, walking along 5th Avenue. Alternately, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, visiting the promenade in Brooklyn Heights (which gives you a great view of Manhattan). Also taking a ride on Staten Island ferry (which is free) from which one gets an excellent view of Statue of Liberty (good for picture taking). Another great view of the Manhattan skyline you get from the Roosevelt Island tram and also there is a promenade on the Roosevelt Island side looking towards Manhattan.
Thanks again for the tips!

I don't expect us to do much except nurse hangovers on New Year's Day, but is there anything worth going to during the evening?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,842,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
Mmmm...I would kill for good sushi. Know of any good places? Also, where is Cafeteria?
Cafeteria is at 17th and 7th ave. As for sushi I like Haru on 42nd I think it is? It's in time square but there is one on park ave too. Its really good. I also like Matsuri at the Marintime Hotel...

Old 12-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Cafeteria is at 17th and 7th ave. As for sushi I like Haru on 42nd I think it is? It's in time square but there is one on park ave too. Its really good. I also like Matsuri at the Marintime Hotel...
Thanks! We'll be checking it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City