Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,263,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

Riverdale is too isolated from parts of the NE Bronx by public transit.
True, but I think the residents want it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,889,207 times
Riverdale has a Metro North stop and bus feeder system to it and the subway lines. Most people in Riverdale don't want a subway to destroy there peaceful section.... As for the eastern part of the Bronx , the New Haven line extension to Penn station will give those living in City Island , Co-op city , Sunnyside , Hunts Point and Parkchester a faster commute to Midtown , Westchester , Fairfield.....which is where most of those people work but most drive or have long subway commutes. Theres no need for a subway over the Tremont Trench and that would be more costly then it looks...

Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,141,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Noise and darkness are better than stagnation due to aread of the city missing out on a direct subway connection. As a young professional myself, I would not like to live in an area where I need to take a 15 minute bus ride to a subway station.
And as a young professional, do you want to hear screeching trains every 5 minutes? I used to live in Brighton Beach and trains would come around that curve every couple of minutes, screeching like anything.

Of course, with modern technology, you can soundproof the els, but the problem of blocking out sunlight still persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It would have to be a completely separate system, like the AirTrain. Anything that connected to the existing Subway would be far too loud to get past the NIMBYs, like the proposed extension of the N Train to LaGuardia. Even then it would be difficult; New Yorkers protest every little thing.
It doesn't make a difference what type of system it is connected to. The issue is the type of construction they use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Separate issue: Why couldn't they build an el on top of the Metro North line that currently runs in a trench, straight up through The Bronx, along Park Ave, just to the East of Webster Ave? It's almost the same path as the old 3rd ave el.No interruption of businesses at all.
It would be nice if they could run more short-turn Metro-North trains (between Mount Vernon and Grand Central) and charge the $2.25 fare. It would be great as a short-term solution, but the problem is that there's probably not much capacity in Manhattan for extra Metro-North trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i'd love to see some kind of rail system linking the #1 train at 242 street and Broadway that rides roughly along the southern perimeter of Van Cortlandt Park and across Gun Hill Rd connecting the #4 train at Gun Hill, the Metro North at Webster, the #2 at White Plains Rd, the #5 at Seymour and on to the Co-op City/Pelham Gardens area

Riverdale is too isolated from parts of the NE Bronx by public transit. all i would need is a link to the #4 or #2 from the Broadway #1 area and i could go public to work instead of the car
It likely wouldn't get enough ridership to justify building it (not to mention that people in Riverdale wouldn't like it, though they can get around it by starting it in Kingsbridge instead).

In any case, Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) would be a good solution for that corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Riverdale has a Metro North stop and bus feeder system to it and the subway lines. Most people in Riverdale don't want a subway to destroy there peaceful section.... As for the eastern part of the Bronx , the New Haven line extension to Penn station will give those living in City Island , Co-op city , Sunnyside , Hunts Point and Parkchester a faster commute to Midtown , Westchester , Fairfield.....which is where most of those people work but most drive or have long subway commutes. Theres no need for a subway over the Tremont Trench and that would be more costly then it looks...
Just to clarify, City Island wouldn't get a station. It would just be easier for them to access a station at Co-Op City.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Just to clarify, I am for building els as they would make it easier to get around, rather than having to rely on buses, but there are some drawbacks. Of course, subway would be preferable but they are much more expensive than elevated lines.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 PM

11,657 posts, read 12,742,542 times
It's not just the sound. It's also the vibration.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
And as a young professional, do you want to hear screeching trains every 5 minutes? I used to live in Brighton Beach and trains would come around that curve every couple of minutes, screeching like anything.

Of course, with modern technology, you can soundproof the els, but the problem of blocking out sunlight still persists.

It doesn't make a difference what type of system it is connected to. The issue is the type of construction they use.

It would be nice if they could run more short-turn Metro-North trains (between Mount Vernon and Grand Central) and charge the $2.25 fare. It would be great as a short-term solution, but the problem is that there's probably not much capacity in Manhattan for extra Metro-North trains.

It likely wouldn't get enough ridership to justify building it (not to mention that people in Riverdale wouldn't like it, though they can get around it by starting it in Kingsbridge instead).

In any case, Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) would be a good solution for that corridor.

Just to clarify, City Island wouldn't get a station. It would just be easier for them to access a station at Co-Op City.
City Island , Sunnyside , and Pelham Manor can easily be added in later depending on $$$...

Old 12-09-2011, 11:21 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,643,544 times
As of this morning, there are now not one, but two threads speculating on new elevated lines. It's really kind of sad. A complete denial of reality.

For the record, I wouldn't complain about new elevated lines either. If you've been to Miami recently and seen Metrorail, you know it's possible to construct an el that isn't as noisy as the old ones used to be. But it's just not going to happen again here in New York. Unless by some miraculous process there's an order-of-magnitude change as regards the operation of our local transit system. And if you're a betting kind of person, you'd have to bet against that happening.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Philly recently replaced its el with concrete and has plans eventually to extend it...

A Train ride on SEPTA's Market Frankford Line Subway - YouTube

Riding from 69th Street to 13th Street in Philadelphia (subway - blue line) - YouTube

Sunday Stretch (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phillytrax/4116033768/ - broken link) by phillytrax (http://www.flickr.com/people/phillytrax/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 12-09-2011, 07:39 PM

518 posts, read 826,912 times
Been there, done that. Can you imagine what 3rd avenue would look like today if that el were still there?

King kong 1933 classic trailer - YouTube

Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
City Island , Sunnyside , and Pelham Manor can easily be added in later depending on $$$...
I wasn't talking about Pelham Manor or Sunnyside. I was talking about City Island. The first two are along the path of the Amtrak line, whereas City Island isn't. You'd either have to put the stop in the middle of a forest (which isn't even on the island itself) or the people would have to drive to Parkchester or whereever the next stop would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City