Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 AM

49 posts, read 90,275 times

Advertisements

For my upcoming trip to NY I'd love to see some Elevated Subway lines.
As an amateur photographer I'm really attracted by them.

Which ones are most worth the visit? (Also nice to keep in mind, I'm a female traveling alone, and even though I really like the grittier side of NY and am pretty street smart, I'd still like to return from it in one piece).

Also, If you have pics to share, that would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 AM

275 posts, read 793,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinfabuleux View Post
For my upcoming trip to NY I'd love to see some Elevated Subway lines.
As an amateur photographer I'm really attracted by them.

Which ones are most worth the visit? (Also nice to keep in mind, I'm a female traveling alone, and even though I really like the grittier side of NY and am pretty street smart, I'd still like to return from it in one piece).

Also, If you have pics to share, that would be great.

Thanks!
The Broadway local (#1) from Van Courtland Park (242 St) in the Bronx. It's elevated for about 7 stops until you pass Dyckman St in Manhattan. The bridge crossing over the Harlem River at 225 St might make an interesting photo. The area is generally pretty safe. If you walk west on 240 St up towards Manhattan College, you can get an overhead view of the train yard where the #1 trains are kept. If you feel a little adventurous, you can get off at 125 St, where the #1 train surfaces again for one stop. I believe this part of the line is billed as the highest elevated track above street level in NYC.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 AM

See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Elevated Subway-125_st_elevated.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
The 2/5 line is IMO one of the best in South Bronx from Jackson Ave. to E180th. The 3 line that runs on Livonia Ave. in Brooklyn is also great. Safety might though be an issue on these lines. Grittiness and safety don't go hand in hand.

Great photo links:

Welcome to the SubwayNut [www.subwaynut.com]

www.nycsubway.org - New York City Subway History, Photos & More

Here starts the el part on the 2/5 line:
Attached Thumbnails
Elevated Subway-jackson26.jpg  

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 06-05-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,811,510 times
Take the 6 from the first stop in the Boogie.
Take the 5 from the first stop in the Boogie.
Take the 4 from the first stop in the Boogie.
Take the 2 from the first stop in the Boogie.
All are above ground for 90% of the Bronx.

Pack a Tech 9 and a lunch.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
The 2/5 line is IMO one of the best in South Bronx from Jackson Ave. to E180th. The 3 line that runs on Livonia Ave. in Brooklyn is also great. Safety might though be an issue on this lines. Grittiness and safety don't go hand in hand.

Great photo links:

Welcome to the SubwayNut [www.subwaynut.com]

www.nycsubway.org - New York City Subway History, Photos & More
The nycsubway link is great. I was thinking that I saw that website a while back and I couldn't remember the name of it. Has extensive collection station-by-station photos.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:54 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
F line Brooklyn. Check out Ave X stop..Right by the rail yards! That part of Brooklyn is safe, and you won't need a tec 9.

Da Brooklyn Boy

Old 06-05-2011, 09:40 AM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,106 times
The N and Q lines are elevated in Astoria and provide a neat backdrop of the Manhattan skyline. The 7 line is also elevated and goes through a variety of unique neighborhoods, and features the graffiti covered building known as 5 Pointz (get off at 45 Rd station). Both are great for exploring and taking photos.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Take the elevated lines in Astoria just like the person above suggested, really nice views. Also I remember you can see Five Points in one of those spots.

Also take the Q for just one stop from Canal street to DeKalb Avenue... amazing views of downtown Manhattan and the statue of liberty.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
I have noticed that the areas close to an el is often decayed. So IMO elevated tracks "slummyfies" neighborhoods. Examples: Westchester Ave. Bronx and the areas close to it suffered very bad during the 70's.

Broadway, Bushwick: Decayed
Livonia Ave, Brooklyn: Decayed
Jerome Ave, Bronx: Decayed
Westchester Ave. Bronx (From Elder to Morrison/Soundview: Decayed

Also in the "nice" neighborhoods the areas close to an el is often gritty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City