Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,172,166 times

Advertisements

So what it would effect those immidiately adjacent. You get a freakin subway line at your door step.

I know the NIMBYs are a problem, but the greater good. Plus we are talking Third Ave in the Bronx. NYCHA and welfare dwellers for this one. Few owners if any.

Also it can't be a different system, it needs to be an extension of a Manhattan bound line (Second Ave for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:02 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,643,544 times
It's fun to speculate, I suppose. But I can tell you right up front: it ain't happening. Community boards around the city don't want to hear about new elevated lines. Neither, for that matter, does the business community--and they were the ones who were instrumental in getting the original 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 9th Avenue els torn down.

I now return you to the regularly scheduled fantasies...

Old 12-08-2011, 02:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,393,987 times
Agreed Fred..it's unfortunate for the most part, however you would be surprised who would be for an elevated line. There are many groups who were, and still are, pushing for the 2nd Ave line to go all the way up through the Bronx, elevated. Whether this will happen is anyone's guess..but the push for it is there.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,172,166 times
Most of the previous elevated lines were torn down thinking they would be replaced with underground lines shorty after. Never happened, instead the areas stagnated. We live in a new era, times are changing slowly in favor of mass transit. We know property values rise with good mass transit. Technology enables queiter, more aesthetically pleasing elevated lines. Never say never.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:11 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,796,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Technology enables queiter, more aesthetically pleasing elevated lines. Never say never.

Exactly!! Rep to you

Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times
I don't think elevated lines are necessarily a bad thing because I'm not sure they are THE problem.

I live very close( 2 blocks) from the 2,5 elevated that runs above White Plains Road in Pelham Parkway.White Plains Road to the North of here under the el is bad and under the el to the South of here is bad but in this neighborhood there is a thriving,vibrant shopping district right under the el.The el has been here since the 1920's, Pelham Parkway has always been a thriving neighborhood and the business area under the el has always been one of the busiest and most diverse shopping areas in The Bronx, with over 100 stores and restaurants.
White Plains Road Business Improvement District Home Page

If els themselves are so bad for businesses and neighborhoods why hasn't it had a negative effect on this neighborhood ?

There are other neighborhoods scattered around the city,under and around els, that are thriving and there are other neighborhoods under and around els that are a mess.If the els were the problem there would be no exceptions, so clearly there are other factors at work.

It's funny but people seem to blame deterioration of neighborhoods on the presence of els and also blame deterioration of neighborhoods on the removal of els.

Separate issue: Why couldn't they build an el on top of the Metro North line that currently runs in a trench, straight up through The Bronx, along Park Ave, just to the East of Webster Ave? It's almost the same path as the old 3rd ave el.No interruption of businesses at all.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-08-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,796,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Separate issue: Why couldn't they build an el on top of the Metro North line that currently runs in a trench, straight up through The Bronx, along Park Ave, just to the East of Webster Ave? It's almost the same path as the old 3rd ave el.No interruption of businesses at all.
That's an absolutely excellent idea and negotiating for right of way rights would be simple, since the MTA (NYCTA) and the MTA (MNCR) are owned by one in the same - The MTA!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
That's an absolutely excellent idea and negotiating for right of way rights would be simple, since the MTA (NYCTA) and the MTA (MNCR) are owned by one in the same - The MTA!
Actually,in many spots the metro north line is below street level, so in those areas there would be an option to run any new line as a street car at surface level.They could just cover over the Park Ave trench completely as they did in Manhattan below 98th St.Park Avenue on the UES used to be an open railroad track pit too, until they put a roof over it and planted trees and flowers on it.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,724,668 times
i'd love to see some kind of rail system linking the #1 train at 242 street and Broadway that rides roughly along the southern perimeter of Van Cortlandt Park and across Gun Hill Rd connecting the #4 train at Gun Hill, the Metro North at Webster, the #2 at White Plains Rd, the #5 at Seymour and on to the Co-op City/Pelham Gardens area

Riverdale is too isolated from parts of the NE Bronx by public transit. all i would need is a link to the #4 or #2 from the Broadway #1 area and i could go public to work instead of the car

Old 12-08-2011, 04:09 PM

43,767 posts, read 44,538,330 times
I think that the elevated M Line (which isn't overly crowded) should be extended to Queens Blvd. That way people living in Rego Park and east of that area in Queens would have another option to go to downtown Manhattan (and Brooklyn) avoiding the crowded Queens Blvd. lines that go to Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City