Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 05:25 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,705,918 times

Advertisements

I worked there summers 1979-1981. is the Beebe Restaurant still there on 31 street under the subway station? the area was drab has it been spruced up any?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 AM

749 posts, read 2,456,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyrobeson View Post
Quick update: Phone Priceline back. Sob story (alone with 2 kids, dodgy area, mile from subway) , humble pie and full admission of guilt. End result: they agreed to refund. Small charge if I rebook through the website, otherwise one night's stay. Phew!!

Just regards the over-confidence. Nothing of the sort!! I'd assumed Bronx's comment was a bit tongue in cheek so it was just a light hearted response!! I've had to travel for work to Nairobi, Lagos, Joburg, Cape Town and Kinshasa. With all due respect to New York, you ain't got a patch on those cities! I'm very safety aware which is why I posted the question to begin with (and am changing hotels) - as I know some parts of NYC are very sketchy and as a disoriented out-of-towner, I am a target. So please don't worry about euro wonder woman jumping into action and refusing to hand over my purse to ten armed and masked lads surrounding me and the girls!
Haha, I agree with you 100% here, NYC is nothing compared to those cities in terms of street crime. Most Brits are pretty well traveled so I should have given you the benefit of the doubt. Just didn't want you to think parts of Queens were like walking through Notting Hill or something, haha. Enjoy your trip.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 PM

22 posts, read 53,380 times
Long Island City is fast becoming a gay area. Most of Manhattan below 23rd street is a large Gay district, which expands to Williamsburg, lots of gay people there. Astoria has lots of gay people as well and young transplants from other states usually suburban type of people not city people. Basically the lower middle class areas around Manhattan are becoming gay areas, because the gay parts of manhattan are becoming to expensive or have been for a while.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 PM

168 posts, read 523,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmash View Post
Long Island City is fast becoming a gay area. Most of Manhattan below 23rd street is a large Gay district, which expands to Williamsburg, lots of gay people there. Astoria has lots of gay people as well and young transplants from other states usually suburban type of people not city people. Basically the lower middle class areas around Manhattan are becoming gay areas, because the gay parts of manhattan are becoming to expensive or have been for a while.
Wow, really?? It's not even worth responding to this, but I guess that I just did...

Old 10-27-2011, 03:47 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,923,173 times
There are a couple of strip clubs in LIC. My favorite is Gallaghers 2000.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:14 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,571,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
There are a couple of strip clubs in LIC. My favorite is Gallaghers 2000.

Shouldn't they update their name? - makes one think the girls are a bit past their prime.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmash View Post
Really?

I just noticed that it's getting gentrified to hell. I used to work there, for a manufacturing company (they went out of business) and some deli down there tried to charge me 2 bucks for a 12 oz can of V 8.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,550,945 times
big fan of LIC

Old 03-15-2013, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
I just booked a stay at the Best Western Plaza on 21st Street for a 6 night stay, but we will mostly be outside of our hotel - sightseeing, like I'm sure most people will be doing who are visiting there. It was a good deal and appeared to have nice views from the windows of NYC. Hopefully we will get one of those views!

However, I am also concerned of our safety of walking around at night in this area. Looking at the Google map on street level, I swear I was looking at Modesto or Stockton, Calif. Definitely not part of the NYC area, lol.

We will likely be walking to the 21st St - Queensbridge Subway station in the morning and at night to and from our hotel. My concern is how safe this area is at night, possibly up until about Midnight? I'm not too concerned of walking this area in the morning.

It looks like we will be walking right through the behind of the Project housing area, but hopefully they are better now, like a few people have mentioned.

I am somewhat seasoned in walking in sketchy places at sketchy hours with women, so I am not entirely a newbie at this (Tenderloin anyone? lol). I am almost paranoid to a fault, as well, when I am walking at night, keeping my eyes and ears open for anything suspicious - with Mace in hand an sharp keys in the other. I am, though, not a super woman, so therefore, if anyone has some good tips on safety in this area, they'd be greatly appreciated. I will be with a 6'3'' man, so I feel okay, but this is a first time visit for us to NYC, so neither of us know what to expect, especially in this particular borough.

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,339,325 times
Long Island City isn't dangerous at all, it's not as safe as surrounding hoods, but that's mostly because west Queens is very tame. It's just really, really unattractive to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City