Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 02:11 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving to NYC in 2 months and will be living with a friend for 3 months until my wife moves here. We've been looking around but my wife really is interested in Long Island City south of Astoria. After she moves here around August, that's the area she wants to focus on? Does anyone have any opinions about that area? I know there's a high rise Citibank building and high rise apartments in a formally industrial area but that's about it. I've also heard that some areas are shady and crime prone since its desolate in certain areas. I've researched some older threads but didnt' find much so does anyone have any advice/opinions/recommendations about the area?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
It's very industrial in most areas, and the residential streets always seem somewhat dark and desolate at night. Nice if you like views of midtown Manhattan, but not great if you like to take walks at night. Overall I think it's average in terms of convenience and crime, perhaps above average in terms of commuting to the city, parking, great views, good restuarants. I'd prefer Astoria myself. It's a better neighborhood for walking and conveniences of on street shopping.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 PM

162 posts, read 601,915 times
Try the Hunters Point area.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOJ View Post
Try the Hunters Point area.
I agree, Hunters' Point is nice, one stop from Grand Central on the 7 train. Very different from the rest of LIC. Make sure you negotiate the rent down - there should be a lot of supply out there thanks to the big condo which went rental.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Hello,

I'm moving to NYC in 2 months and will be living with a friend for 3 months until my wife moves here. We've been looking around but my wife really is interested in Long Island City south of Astoria. After she moves here around August, that's the area she wants to focus on? Does anyone have any opinions about that area? I know there's a high rise Citibank building and high rise apartments in a formally industrial area but that's about it. I've also heard that some areas are shady and crime prone since its desolate in certain areas. I've researched some older threads but didnt' find much so does anyone have any advice/opinions/recommendations about the area?
Thanks
Check out Vernon Blvd. Get off at the Vernon Blvd/Jackson Ave stop. There are some great little restaurants and bars on that street and it's only one stop to Manhattan so a super quick commute.

Otherwise, I am not a huge fan of LIC as it pales in comparison to other neighborhoods in terms of amenities. I much prefer Astoria and Sunnyside, which both border LIC and may in fact be cheaper in rent.

The shopping used to be really difficult there too as there aren't too many little markets as in other areas. But now there is a high priced store that is similar to a mini-Whole Foods; can't remember the name of it.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,582 times
I live in LIC and so far so good. One time during the day I went up the wrong subway exit and came outside and I was the only one on the streets and it looked like all the stores were closed. Kinda felt like a ghostown. But like people are saying, its an industrial city. There isnt as many stores and amenities like other spots, but it has all the necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City