Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 03:01 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,172,050 times

Advertisements

Well I'm from Cali and this girl sounds like an idiot.

I never came out here with those expectations. When I came, I just wanted work, and pre-2008 there was a fair amount of work. Not high paying, but a little better than SoCal--not so anymore.

She got what she deserves. Hope she goes home with her tail in between her legs. I am so sick of these groupies. Stop moving to NYC! It's not effing cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 03:27 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,574,048 times
Haha, I want to check back in 3 months and see if she's still in NYC. My guess is no and her liver will be entirely f*cked.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:51 PM

166 posts, read 444,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
I am so sick of these groupies. Stop moving to NYC! It's not effing cute.
Hey, but you moved to NYC?! Imagine how the natives feel...

But getting back to the topic of the thread, I'm temping now while I keep looking for something better. There was a position open at my job recently...it didn't interest me b/c the salary was lower than I want (38k) and only said "bachelor's degree preferred". I have my Master's and am trying to target positions at that level only...anyways, a bunch of people applied, including people with advanced degrees. The top candidate wound up having a Master's degree. The dept. really wanted her, but due to her qualifications, was requesting a higher salary. HR wouldn't budge and I actually heard my boss say "With the economy the way it is now, people should be happy with whatever salary they get". UGH.

So now they went and filled the position with a temp. They will probably try to convince that person if they stick around they'll be hired, but some of the full-time employees there have already warned me it's a lie...there is a guy there who has been temping for a YEAR.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:24 PM

12 posts, read 24,776 times
Alright, I haven't read the whole thread but enough of it to be able to give some input here.

Like you, I also graduated college at a difficult time when employers were reluctant to provide reasonable salaries to otherwise competent folk.

I buckled though and accepted my first "real" full-time job out of school for 35K (I have an honors BS degree in a quantitative field, mind you), realizing that the experience to be gained from working there would more than make up for the paltry pay.

Well, guess what? I just recently got a new job offer for 20K more, due to my experience. I'm only 24, too.

The basis of the story is that you shouldn't be declining relevant jobs right now just because the pay is lower than what you expected (reasonably) after graduating college. The experience is way more important for you right now otherwise you will get left behind.

Stop temping and start a full-time job, look for new work after 6 mos or more. Job-hopping is fine for young people, and in some instances is the best way to raise your pay.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:44 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,913,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Wow, this sounds so similar to what I experienced I have a hard time believing it lol. Drank to deal with stress? Ditto. Worked a crap job for crap pay way below my skill set? Ditto. Lived in West Harlem so I had Manhattan bragging rights? Ditto. Left with only a few suitcases and a few months savings? Ditto. After a few months the honeymoon wore off for me. I saw things for what they were finally, and yes... it was definitely a rite of passage in many ways.
This is a story written several times a DAY! in NYC unfortunately....Again transplants believe NYC-life is actually how its portrayed in the Media and they flock here and all is wonderful for maybe year at most before the "REAL" NYC starts to set in, then play times over and they want to go home....

There's a reason a city of 8million people only netted 1K+ in population over the last 10 years per the census...NYC is getting dangerously close to having more people leave here than are moving into the city and to be honest that's what it needs. NYC needs a reset, something to say "hey there really is problem here".

Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 PM

166 posts, read 444,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no futile action View Post
Alright, I haven't read the whole thread but enough of it to be able to give some input here.

Like you, I also graduated college at a difficult time when employers were reluctant to provide reasonable salaries to otherwise competent folk.

I buckled though and accepted my first "real" full-time job out of school for 35K (I have an honors BS degree in a quantitative field, mind you), realizing that the experience to be gained from working there would more than make up for the paltry pay.

Well, guess what? I just recently got a new job offer for 20K more, due to my experience. I'm only 24, too.

The basis of the story is that you shouldn't be declining relevant jobs right now just because the pay is lower than what you expected (reasonably) after graduating college. The experience is way more important for you right now otherwise you will get left behind.

Stop temping and start a full-time job, look for new work after 6 mos or more. Job-hopping is fine for young people, and in some instances is the best way to raise your pay.
I actually agree with this if the job seeker is indeed a recent college grad with little "real" experience. There does seem to be a common feeling of entitlement among college grads (specifically early-mid 20's) who feel just b/c they have their 4-year degree, they should automatically have a great paying job. Sorry, but it doesn't work like that anymore. From what I've seen, a 4-year degree by itself doesn't mean a whole lot.

So, for the job seekers with advanced degrees and significant relevant experience, what are they to do? I'm temping as an in the meantime thing, but it sucks, and I feel like I'm losing my patience. Hell, I'm even tri-lingual and have work experience from 3 different countries, yet I'm sending my resume out and hearing nothing back.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,699,091 times
i think the OP is saying it should be higher because the higher cost of living? i was given a book in college that adjusts income by city/state and cost of living (it was like 2008 book) and it would say for example:

if you make 50k in Louisiana your should multiple that by some number 1.5 or something for New York and it becomes like 65k...

but i guess that means in a good economy

Last edited by L'Artiste; 07-02-2011 at 09:24 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,574,048 times
1.5 would be 75K and yes, that is completely appropriate and what employers should pay given the COL. But what often ends up happening, as so obviously evidenced by these posts, is that employers pay whatever they feel they can get away with. It's causing a lot of misery for a lot of people. Hopefully things start getting better soon.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,172,050 times
I don't think things will ever change in NYC. We all want fair pay, but the truth is--there's someone that's willing to take our spot for 30k and put up with being broke just to live in NYC. They'll be miserable and sell their souls just to say they live in NYC. That's for them---not for me!

Cannot wait to get out of here! Yippee!

My guy graduates in 2013 and I'm praying to have something lined up for him out in California. We can go be broke out there--where they have beaches, perfect weather, parking and friendlier people.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,512,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
I don't think things will ever change in NYC. We all want fair pay, but the truth is--there's someone that's willing to take our spot for 30k and put up with being broke just to live in NYC. They'll be miserable and sell their souls just to say they live in NYC. That's for them---not for me!

Cannot wait to get out of here! Yippee!

My guy graduates in 2013 and I'm praying to have something lined up for him out in California. We can go be broke out there--where they have beaches, perfect weather, parking and friendlier people.
Oh lucky you! I actually feel bad for all these people that come here and sell their souls to the devil just to live in this urine-soaked craphole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City