Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2023, 10:41 AM

50 posts, read 46,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
How is your appeal coming along, induced eligibility is something that is probably deeply scrutinized as it alludes that the applicant is adjusting income/resources to still be eligible.

Are you not able to qualify using your income and need the cash assistance to fall in range to qualify ?
Waiting. Submitted on HC but they couldn’t access documents so emailed the docs again. They are now with the appeal reviewer who has yet to get in touch with me. I called the helpline yesterday and passed on a message to the reviewer. The agent was super encouraging, even said I should assume the apt is mine.

I had 2 income sources excluded from their income calculation. First, my taxable income which was submitted in tax returns. Including this would get me to the 80% AMI for 2nd ram. Second, the gift income was disclosed after the application since it was not listed in required list and nowhere to add in the application. So I got a notarized affidavit. It’s no different than my child support which was also informal but my ex signed and notarized an affidavit just for the application. Most importantly sent them all proof of payments.

Let’s see how this turns out. I still have 2 more appeals left. The good news is that they can’t give away the unit to a higher log number which was my concern since there are only 2 units in my category.

I couldn’t get an estimate on timing except that appeals move quicker than applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 11:01 AM

531 posts, read 412,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR76 View Post
Waiting. Submitted on HC but they couldn’t access documents so emailed the docs again. They are now with the appeal reviewer who has yet to get in touch with me. I called the helpline yesterday and passed on a message to the reviewer. The agent was super encouraging, even said I should assume the apt is mine.

I had 2 income sources excluded from their income calculation. First, my taxable income which was submitted in tax returns. Including this would get me to the 80% AMI for 2nd ram. Second, the gift income was disclosed after the application since it was not listed in required list and nowhere to add in the application. So I got a notarized affidavit. It’s no different than my child support which was also informal but my ex signed and notarized an affidavit just for the application. Most importantly sent them all proof of payments.

Let’s see how this turns out. I still have 2 more appeals left. The good news is that they can’t give away the unit to a higher log number which was my concern since there are only 2 units in my category.

I couldn’t get an estimate on timing except that appeals move quicker than applications.
that's awesome bud,

Glad to know you could also get in touch with the reviewer, being able to give a short idea can be very helpful to help avoid oversight.

Not sure why the agent is fighting so hard to disqualify your application, seems pretty straight forward from what you are sharing.

Wish you the best and know that you can manifest your new home.

How do you know that there are only two 2 bed mobility units in 80 ami ?

Old 09-29-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
that's awesome bud,

Glad to know you could also get in touch with the reviewer, being able to give a short idea can be very helpful to help avoid oversight.

Not sure why the agent is fighting so hard to disqualify your application, seems pretty straight forward from what you are sharing.

Wish you the best and know that you can manifest your new home.

How do you know that there are only two 2 bed mobility units in 80 ami ?
From the marketing agent that processed my application. No 1 bedrooms left, they offered me a studio which I can’t accept bc it would violate city regulations for sleeping in same bed with child of opposite sex. The HPD helpline agent I spoke to immediately understood the issue. I’ve passed on the message to the appeal reviewer but still antsy until she contacts me by. Or wait for an update on Housing Connect.

I also have urgent overseas travel scheduled for end of next week so hopefully they give me a response soon.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
From the marketing agent that processed my application. No 1 bedrooms left, they offered me a studio which I can’t accept bc it would violate city regulations for sleeping in same bed with child of opposite sex. The HPD helpline agent I spoke to immediately understood the issue. I’ve passed on the message to the appeal reviewer but still antsy until she contacts me by. Or wait for an update on Housing Connect.

I also have urgent overseas travel scheduled for end of next week so hopefully they give me a response soon.
Thanks for sharing that, how do we call HPD and get to know the unit mixes left for the applying populations.

Are you certain there are only 2 2Beds left for mobility and other preferences ?

Old 09-29-2023, 01:19 PM

I don’t know what’s left for other categories but was told that mobility preference is allocated two 2 bedroom units, all the 1bedrooms for the category occupied by lower log numbers. They have studios left but not sure how many. I got this info from ruby@housingpartnership.com listed on the HC website, not HPD.

Old 09-29-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I don’t know what’s left for other categories but was told that mobility preference is allocated two 2 bedroom units, all the 1bedrooms for the category occupied by lower log numbers. They have studios left but not sure how many. I got this info from ruby@housingpartnership.com listed on the HC website, not HPD.
Thanks for sharing your insight and your contact with Ruby,

To understand you correctly are the 2 beds for mobility still available to be claimed and you are in the running for at least one of them or are the 2beds already accounted for.

I am also in mobility preference and getting a 2 bed would change my life for the better in ways I cannot even imagine or express

Old 09-29-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:

To understand you correctly are the 2 beds for mobility still available to be claimed and you are in the running for at least one of them or are the 2beds already accounted for.

I am also in mobility preference and getting a 2 bed would change my life for the better in ways I cannot even imagine or express
Same here, I’m a single mom on disability and honestly this is my only shot to secure long term housing. When I submitted my application I was told there are two units in the mobility category. I don’t know the availability status but I believe I’m in the running for one of them. They clarified that someone with a higher log in this preference shouldn’t get in front of me until my application is complete. As mentioned before I still have two more appeals left. Keeping fingers crossed, and toes.

Old 09-29-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Are you on the spreadsheet? There is another candidate in mobility also seeking a 2 bedroom with application under review FYI.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:08 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
" No 1 bedrooms left, they offered me a studio which I can’t accept bc it would violate city regulations for sleeping in same bed with child of opposite sex."

This is not a rule for lottery apartments. I don't think it's been a rule for a long time. If a household is the right size for the occupancy of the apartment, they can take it, regardless of the age/sex of the various household members.

Whether you think such a space is suitable for you and your kid is another question, of course. I can't imagine trying to share a studio with a teenage boy.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
" No 1 bedrooms left, they offered me a studio which I can’t accept bc it would violate city regulations for sleeping in same bed with child of opposite sex."

This is not a rule for lottery apartments. I don't think it's been a rule for a long time. If a household is the right size for the occupancy of the apartment, they can take it, regardless of the age/sex of the various household members.

Whether you think such a space is suitable for you and your kid is another question, of course. I can't imagine trying to share a studio with a teenage boy.
If it’s a city rule then I think they have to consider it. The HPD rep was well aware this regulation. I also first heard about it from my son’s lawyer (yeah I’m in an ugly custody battle too). Regardless, they outright rejected the application without even asking if I would reconsider a studio. Bottomline, there are only 2 criteria for lottery apts - income and household size and I qualify for both if they could get their math right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery