Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 07:49 AM

147 posts, read 166,123 times

Advertisements

YAYA, if you signed a 2 year lease you are set for the time being. in 2 years, you expect another offer for 1 year renewal with something like a 2.5% increase or like $50 or a 2 year renewal for 4% increase at $75. The 2 year rate is often higher because your rate is locked in for a longer time. The rental board sets the increase rates annually and impacts your next lease. The a/c fee can also change but i would imagine its might change by $5 a unit in the worst case. Rent stabilization takes away almost all of the market pressure. As macnyc2003 said there could be some extra increase at renewal but those are for capital improvements and there is a formula. I wouldn't worry about those. In the 5 years we have been in the complex, I don't think we have had one of those but if we did in the future, i think the 30 year amortization period makes the amounts workable.

macnyc2003, do you have an example you can share?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 07:54 AM

https://hcr.ny.gov/system/files/docu...26-07-2022.pdf

will give you the historic numbers. the increase for 10/22 is one of the larges in recent memory.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:54 AM

4,786 posts, read 6,610,149 times
531PCV, everything you said is good and expressed very well. And thanks for that excellent link!

Examples of what? MCIs? I gave examples in a previous post: new windows, wiring, elevators, etc. Those are from a long time ago, but they are still on my rent. At the time, the MCI charges were added to the rent in perpetuity. Now, with the new rent law, they are added for "only" 30 years.

For example, back in 1993, I chose to be rewired because I wanted air conditioning. That added $150 a month to my rent. Over time, that $150 has grown to probably several hundred dollars a month, because every year the rent increase applied also to the $150.

Fun fact: About half the residents at the time chose not to get rewired!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 08-23-2022 at 08:16 AM..

Old 08-23-2022, 08:01 AM

16 posts, read 16,224 times
Thanks for the info everyone!

Old 08-23-2022, 08:39 AM

118 posts, read 126,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 531PCV View Post
YAYA, if you signed a 2 year lease you are set for the time being. in 2 years, you expect another offer for 1 year renewal with something like a 2.5% increase or like $50 or a 2 year renewal for 4% increase at $75. The 2 year rate is often higher because your rate is locked in for a longer time. The rental board sets the increase rates annually and impacts your next lease. The a/c fee can also change but i would imagine its might change by $5 a unit in the worst case. Rent stabilization takes away almost all of the market pressure. As macnyc2003 said there could be some extra increase at renewal but those are for capital improvements and there is a formula. I wouldn't worry about those. In the 5 years we have been in the complex, I don't think we have had one of those but if we did in the future, i think the 30 year amortization period makes the amounts workable.

macnyc2003, do you have an example you can share?
I currently already live in a rent stabalized building and already know how it works but thanks for your response anyway.
Please note that during my last 10 years in my rent stabalized apt, there have been times where there were no rent increased at all for a 1 year lease renewal.

Until I see what increase is voted on the year I have to renew, every thing is speculation

Old 08-23-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
531PCV, everything you said is good and expressed very well. And thanks for that excellent link!

Examples of what? MCIs? I gave examples in a previous post: new windows, wiring, elevators, etc. Those are from a long time ago, but they are still on my rent. At the time, the MCI charges were added to the rent in perpetuity. Now, with the new rent law, they are added for "only" 30 years.

For example, back in 1993, I chose to be rewired because I wanted air conditioning. That added $150 a month to my rent. Over time, that $150 has grown to probably several hundred dollars a month, because every year the rent increase applied also to the $150.

Fun fact: About half the residents at the time chose not to get rewired!
Thanks! I saw the examples but did not know what the $range was for. $150 is not a small amount. I can understand why people would opt out. Has there been small increase that you would consider incidental.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:42 AM

The rewiring was a major project, costing millions of dollars back then. Yes, $150 a month is a big increase, considering my rent was $900 a month at the time.

The windows were also a big ticket. I don't know how much that was a month because it was before I lived here. Other "improvements" were less money. I would have to look back through my records to see.

Basically, I think the law is so unfair because tenants are basically paying for all the upkeep the landlord wants to do. And in buildings constructed in 1947, there is a lot to be fixing.

Now, at least, new MCI charges come off after 30 years, and the percentage paid by the tenants is a bit less than it used to be. Owner Met Life had an army of lawyers and accountants, all devoting their daily lives to making us pay more money!

There was a period where we were getting MCIs every year.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 08-23-2022 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 12:02 PM

151 posts, read 135,527 times
Wow I thought PCV was bigger?

Old 08-23-2022, 12:06 PM

In PCV the apartments are bigger, but there are fewer buildings. And the size of the property is smaller. Is that what you meant?

Old 08-24-2022, 08:36 AM

65 posts, read 73,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
In PCV the apartments are bigger, but there are fewer buildings. And the size of the property is smaller. Is that what you meant?
I think they were referring to a comment a little ways back about there being less counter space in the lottery finish PCV apartment they received as compared to StuyTown kitchens. I assume this is because PCV has eat in kitchens, so that area would be empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery