Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:57 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times

Advertisements

Has anyone signed up successfully for the new (I assume) Mitchell-Lama section of NYC Housing Connect? When I went to that site starting last week, I noticed that there is a new Mitchell-Lama hyperlink. Yet when I sign in to NYC Housing Connect, the hyperlink is gone. So I signed out and tried to sign up for the Mitchell-Lama portion with my NYC Housing Connect info, and I got a message saying that email was in the system already. Yet I wasn't able to find a link to sign in.

Finally, I used another of my email addresses to create all-new credentials for the Mitchell-Lama site. Lo and behold, when I finally clicked on Search for Mitchell-Lama, I got the response No Projects Found. Frustrating! Am I doing something wrong, or is the site messed up? Has anyone else had luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 PM

64 posts, read 176,729 times
I got the same response: no projects found. Maybe they are planning on putting the lottery process online and modernizing it a little, like they did with housing connect and the 80/20 buildings, opposed to the standard newspaper + mail in a postcard system. The fact that they added this section is a good thing/ Keep checking back, maybe there are going to be some waiting lists opening.

In fact I always wonder how current the "open waiting lists" section on HPD's Mitchell Lama section is. There are a lot of developments on there that claim to have open waiting lists, some of which I thought had left the program a long time ago (independence house, tower west). I requested an app for Tower West and they sent one back right away. I can't see that building having any open apartments for a long long time though

Old 01-04-2016, 08:18 PM

72 posts, read 260,964 times
Interesting....so I wonder if they will be waiving the usual $200 application fee? Now the waiting lists are really going to get long. Thanks for the heads up on this, OP.

Last edited by sayhi2fanny; 01-04-2016 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: add a few words

Old 01-05-2016, 04:49 PM

483 posts, read 691,628 times
Yeah, I see it's blank still, which is frustrating. Wouldn't mind having an electronic clearinghouse, as this "each individual development thing" is confusing. Been trying to get my deposit back from a couple of developments who, apparently, know nothing to do with a "letter and SASE sent from someone, regardless of content saying "Please remove me from the waiting list and refund my deposit", than... to use the SASE to send me ... another blank application for developments the wait list of which I'm already on. "4 out of 5 management companies surveyed..." Once I even got an application to Atlantic Terminal instead, for which I never asked, and the then-online listing for said management company, wasn't any of the management companies to which I'd written recently asking for return deposits.

I agree they also have sometimes accepted me on lists which the online (state based M-L, not city-based, which is what I expect will show up on HousingConnect eventually) widget, said was closed.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 PM

Misskittytalks....the way I see it, once I send them my money, I don't expect to ever see it again. NYC bureaucracy at its finest. So I am very selective about where I apply. I don't have a bunch of money to throw away. I just need one of my applications to stick and get a call back for one co-op. At the end of the day, I may do a total of 5 applications. It's like the lottery. If fate is such that you are going to win, you will win by playing $1 instead of playing your entire paycheck. Good luck to all of you out there trying to get a Mitchell Lama co-op or any so called affordable housing in NYC.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:33 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,527 times
This is weird. I hope it's not moving to a lottery system rather than a waiting list system. I'm hoping this is just New York City somewhat catching up to the State's automated waiting list system where you can check your spot on the list.

Public Automated Waiting List Access

But it does look like they will allow you to apply. I wonder how this will work.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:12 PM

483 posts, read 691,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhi2fanny View Post
Misskittytalks....the way I see it, once I send them my money, I don't expect to ever see it again. NYC bureaucracy at its finest. So I am very selective about where I apply. I don't have a bunch of money to throw away. I just need one of my applications to stick and get a call back for one co-op. At the end of the day, I may do a total of 5 applications. It's like the lottery. If fate is such that you are going to win, you will win by playing $1 instead of playing your entire paycheck. Good luck to all of you out there trying to get a Mitchell Lama co-op or any so called affordable housing in NYC.
True that! haha... if you are in the mood to gamble on Franklin Plaza, they were the one development clever enough to work out that I wanted my $$ back, and gave it me. Minus the traditional $50 of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
This is weird. I hope it's not moving to a lottery system rather than a waiting list system. I'm hoping this is just New York City somewhat catching up to the State's automated waiting list system where you can check your spot on the list.

Public Automated Waiting List Access

But it does look like they will allow you to apply. I wonder how this will work.
I took it that what would happen is, instead of depending upon your sleuthing skills to see if you can track down the ads in AM New York, Chelsea Now, Irish Echo, or whatever random free paper the state slots them into; we'd now see the new Mitchell-Lama ads the same way we see the new 80/20, etc. ads listed regularly, on the other side of Housing Connect. The automated-waitlist function, may or may not factor.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:42 PM

345 posts, read 853,507 times
Missy, good luck getting your refund back. I had a terrible time getting my refund from one of the Management companies. I finally had to call hpd on them and then I got it. It seems they like to keep all the deposit money.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:09 PM

New mitchell lama listing just got posted. Deadline Feb 8th

Old 01-14-2016, 02:18 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhi2fanny View Post
New mitchell lama listing just got posted. Deadline Feb 8th
It won't let me apply yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery