Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 AM

431 posts, read 1,142,368 times

Advertisements

I have a quick question. I'm considering a trip down to New Orleans in March and was hoping for some opinions on a decently priced, safe, clean hotel. By decently priced I mean under $125 or so. I went to NO about eight years ago, when I was a junior in high school, and my Mom and I stayed in a Best Western way out of the city. I'd like to be closer to the French Quarter or the garden district this time. Is there anything like that, or is it a lost cause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM

640 posts, read 1,226,751 times
It really depends on the week that you go, in my opinion. I know of a few cheap hotels in the CBD, such as the Pelham Hotel, Queen and Crescent, among others. The hotels outside of the quarter and CBD are going to be the same prices I think. Just search on any travel website and you should find something in your budget

Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
It really depends on the week that you go, in my opinion. I know of a few cheap hotels in the CBD, such as the Pelham Hotel, Queen and Crescent, among others. The hotels outside of the quarter and CBD are going to be the same prices I think. Just search on any travel website and you should find something in your budget
It would most likely be March 10th-15th. I have looked on travel websites, I was just hoping for some opinions on what is good. The travel sites can make the places seem great, but then you get there and they're a wreck.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
I have stayed at the Inn on Bourbon three times; very nice although the rooms are a little small. Good desk and housekeeping staff, and the street as well as the courtyard rooms are quite charming. It gets really rowdy on the street side; but then of course you are right in the middle of Bourbon! Even though there was quite a preponderance of celebrating guests, unless they are on the next balcony, you don't really hear them on the courtyard side.

The Embassy Suites are quite outstanding, but the price is pretty high. Lots of amenities though. It is a long seven-block walk from there to Bourbon, especially if you are coming back late and a little tipsy.

The Royal Sonesta is lovely; I may stay there next time. An upgrade from the Inn on Bourbon, the Desire Oyster Bar has great ambiance, the food is excellent, and the live entertainment is fun to drop in on, especially if you go there for the jazz.

You can compare prices and locations here - New Orleans Hotels and Lodging

Watch those weekends! the rates often double on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

We love the Court of Two Sisters for excellent fare (the eggs Benedict at brunch is wonderful, and the turtle soup is as well!), of course the Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets, and the Market. Try a muffaletta while you are out and about; it is the sandwich to die for! "Way down at the end of Bourbon you will discover little "back room bars" where jazz is played by all sorts of performers, if you are into that.

Have a great time!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,515 times
When we go to NOLA we always stay at The Place d'Armes Hotel. It is in the French Quarter on St. Ann's literally steps from Jackson Square and a block from the Cafe DuMonde. It is also a very easy walk to everything else in the French Quarter. I have even stayed there alone before with my young children without my husband and felt perfectly safe.

The hotel is full of history, absolutely gorgeous, and has a beautiful courtyard with a lovely pool. It is clean, has reproduction period furniture, and free internet. The staff is very nice (they look the other way when I sneak an extra child in) and they do offer a very nice free continental breakfast but we've never eaten it since we prefer to go down the street to the Cafe DuMonde for breakfast. We always get an interior room (without windows...the kids pretend it was Lestat's room) to save on money but if you can afford more there are other options. I case out the internet specials and get interior rooms with two queen beds for $53 a night. The rates do tend to go up and down depending on what is going on in the city at the time. You do have to pay in advance for the really awesome deals, they are non-refundable, and if you need to park a car there is an additional fee for that. (Can't remember off hand what it is.)

Trip Advisor reviews kind of scared me after I booked the first time going on about moldy smells but in all the times we have stayed there I have never encountered anything of the sort. I love knowing that I never have to even think about where I am going to stay when I visit NOLA. For me it is a no-brainer. I get to be in the FQ in a lovely, charming hotel at a cost less than what I would pay for some cheap chain motel. The website is: Place D'Armes : New Orleans, Louisiana : French Quarter

Old 12-29-2011, 06:25 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,292,349 times
I would try Price line. We have used this format many times and always get a nice place at a good price. We have stayed at the Sheaton and Marriot, both on Canal, the Inn on Bourbon, The Royal Sonesta, the Hilton, the Doubletree, the French Market Inn, and many others. Depending on the dates and days of the week, you should be able to get a nice room in the quarter.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks to everyone so far. The Inn On Bourbon sounds nice, but unfortunately doesn't have any rooms then. The Place d'Armes sounds promising, but it looks like parking is about $28 per day. I found one that has free parking and sounds good, the Prytania Oaks Hotel in the garden district, but you have to be 25 or older. I'll be there two weeks before my 25th birthday. I appreciate all of the advice so far.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 PM

358 posts, read 711,219 times
The Ambassador is a decent one near Harrahs. And you can park in a public lot across the street and save a few bucks I think. Many times it will come up on Expedia at 99 per night. The customer service can be hit or miss but it's relatively new and clean. I stayed there once a few years ago and had a decent experience. The Country Inn & Suites on Magazine just across Canal St from the quarter is also good and can be had for 125 per night on many weekends.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:12 PM

768 posts, read 1,760,142 times
Have your considered other alternatives to hotels? Check out Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb or maybe Craigslist craigslist: new orleans classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events for vacation/short-term rentals.

It is a great way to meet people and help the local economy.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks again everyone. The Ambassador sounds a bit shady, so I'm going to skip that one. I'm a man of Country Inn & Suites, but of course the hotel is pricey when I'm going. I'm considering staying outside of the city, maybe in Metairie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans