Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 11:31 PM

38 posts, read 178,709 times

Advertisements

I am trying to choose between staying in a "city view king" room at the Ritz Carlton/French Qtr. or a Room with balcony at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel on Bourbon St. The rooms are the same price.

It is our 2oth wedding anniversary.

I will not have a car and will pretty much stay near the quarter. When I go elsewhere I will take a guided tour or the streetcar.

I am not a partier. I like good food and good music and that is why Im going back to my favorite city in the US.

I dont care about spas and mini bars and exercise rooms. I care about staying in a great room. I want to be able to relax and enjoy my time in my room.

I dont want to worry about coming back on foot late at night. I think both places are fine for that.

Does anyone know much about these 2 hotels?

thanks in advance.
eeyore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
I would imagine that the room on Bourbon might be a bit noisy. I would check on that before choosing, but the balcony sounds nice. I live 15 min. from the Quarter so I've not stayed in either hotel, but I thought that the noise might factor in your decision. Try asking around in the nola.com visitor's forum, perhaps you'll run across someone who has stayed in the hotels you've mentioned. Thanks in advance for visiting NOLA: )

Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 AM

125 posts, read 209,131 times
I had the occasion of staying at the Ritz, pre-Katrina. It was during a major event week (Voodoo Fest, I believe) -- hosting a widely diverse and lively band of guests. I found it to be superb overall: a touch of elegance, luxurious accomodations, and good service.

The 'jazz brunch' was out of sight -- one of the best I have enjoyed in New Orleans, a city known for excellent jazz brunches.

You would have quick and easy access to Quarter attractions without the cacophony and revelry of some of the Bourbon Street hotels -- assuming this factor is appealing to you, of course.

**The Monteleone in the Quarter is another hotel I would recommend. Not sure about the going rates these days (it was on the high end in years past). An exquisite virgin white edifice that looms overhead the antique district of Royal Street: a timeless, grand NOLA landmark.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
Ooh the Monteleone! I've heard a lot of good things about the Monte. Some family friends will take a weekend to play tourist and stay there. They love it. Unfortunately, it's too shee-shee-pooh-pooh for my wallet, but maybe one day...

Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Bourbon Orleans will be noisy especially Friday/ Saturday nights into the wee hours...if that's a major factor I would stay at the Ritz...

Enjoy as I'm jealous NOLA is indeed one of my favourite cities to visit

Old 09-06-2007, 02:46 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
I stayed at a hotel on Bourbon Street on a Friday & Saturday this June and it was very noisy. Then early in the morning a street washing machine goes by and makes a lot of noise.

We were on the 3rd floor so that helped some. It was worth it to watch the incredible life below. Food was incredible. Very nice time. When we go back I will stay at the same place.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:51 PM

38 posts, read 178,709 times
Thanks for all the replies. I checked a website with reviews from patrons and both hotels reviewed well -- except several people said the front desk staff at the Bourbon was rude.

I tried the nola.com site. I found the forums and I found a section for visitors....but I didn't see a forum for visitors. Did I miss it somehow?

I'll let you guys know what I decide.

thanks again
eeyore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans