Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 PM

69 posts, read 448,593 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm strongly considering a move to Albuquerque or Rio Rancho and I was hoping that someone here can tell me if New Mexico has a problem with African Killer Bees. If there are can any of you tell me how it affects daiy life? I hear that those bees will chase you for miles and they literally swarm at you and its easy to agitate them. Any info on this is Much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 68,047 times
Default Killer Bees

There are no "killer bees" this far north in New Mexico. It doesn't effect our daily lives at all. If there has ever been a killer bee attack in NM it would have to be down by the Texas/Mexico border, but I haven't ever heard of one in the state. I believe I saw a show on Discovery or Nat'l Geo. that showed the projected path of the bees has moved east of NM.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 PM

181 posts, read 707,559 times
Here are some resources to check out:

http://www.stingshield.com/nm.htm

http://spectre.nmsu.edu/media/news2.lasso?i=824 (broken link)

To the best of my knowledge, I cannot remember any recent incidents (reported) involving killer bees...

Old 03-31-2007, 05:53 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,915 times
There have been killer bees found south of Carlsbad. If you go poke a stick in the hive you'll get the what for.

The only way it's likely to be problem is if the make a hive near your house. The threat from them is on par from the threat of being struck by lightening. I wouldn't worry about it. People's loose dogs, or loose teenagers are much more of a problem.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 AM

69 posts, read 448,593 times
Thanks so much everyone I hope to take a trip down to this area this summer and check out different sites and get a feel for the job market, this info helps alot. I just heard that the killer bees have been all over the south west but its a good thing i won't have to worry so much about that lol.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:45 AM

49 posts, read 364,774 times
They tested some bee hives in Wisconsin, where my brother lives, and they DID find killer bees up that way, and that they are breeding with honey bees. So the person who said New Mexico doesn't get them" that far north" is wrong.
They are in the northern NM. There was a man who was attack by 1000's of them north of flag staff, he was watering his garden and they just swarm him, and didn't stop. He said they were very aggressive and followed him. He pulled through lucky for him!!!!!
blessings

Old 04-01-2007, 09:27 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Carlsbad has had a few attacks by Africanized bees in the last few years. If I remember correctly, a man was mowing his lawn and was attacked by bees last summer. He didn't know the hive was there. I don't know how far north the bees are in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico