Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:08 PM

12 posts, read 36,804 times

Advertisements

hello we are moving to nm iam really nervous. I have school age children and we are a african american family. i am a hair stylist so i was wondering about black salons in nm. and also about the climate we are moving from maryland and i hate the cold so how are the winters do you need coats and heat or is it mild. thanks for any info you can offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 PM

502 posts, read 1,379,615 times
Welcome to the board. Where abouts are you going to be moving? That would help us try and answer your questions a little bit better.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:05 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
What part of NM are you moving to? Just let us know and we can answer your questions,the cities here all differ.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 AM

12 posts, read 36,804 times
Default african american family moving to nm

alburquer in the city so maybe the surrounding area

Old 11-08-2008, 08:34 AM

464 posts, read 1,156,975 times
Default Welcome Michaela!

First off I wanted to welcome you and your family and tell you that you've come to the right place, for answers to your questions
These are Good people here in this Forum.
Folks will come along for days here and answer your questions, so be patient and ask away! Try to be more specific too. t's the 5th biggest state in the Union so lots of areas and aspects.

When, are your planning your move? {the time frame}
Is this a transfer?

I know you will be making a change in your living situation, but try to tackle it as an adventure! Any move is in my opinion, when you cross any State line/border.

I think the more you read about NM in advance the better. Including on-line issue of newspapers. Articles about everything in that area. Even the School sports sections, school sports are big in NM
See if you can watch the local TV stations online- the broadcasts and read their web-sites.

Now I'm not in Albq. but think KOB is one of the big TV stations.

I'll ask if someone else might Post a few newspapers and more TV stations sites for you to look into. Please pitch in folks

Call the City and ask for a *New Resident* packet, then call the New Mexico Tourism Dept- 1-800-545-2070 {ask Both places to include City and state maps for sure!}
I don't have the number for Albuquerque {city}, I'll look for it.
But here is the number for their Visitors Bureau: 1-800-284-2282- see if they will send you New Resident info or direct you to the proper number/person.

Educate yoursef in advance of the area and the state and you'll be all the better for it, when you get there or visit to shop for a home, look at schools, jobs, etc.

Read as much as possible.

I would venture to say that in Maryland you have more and Longer spells of cold and snow, than most place in NM and Albuquerque. {boy I remember some storms in winter in Baltimore, while visiting!}

As far as yor salon job, now I can't personally say you'll find a 'singular' type. But I would think of you as an *asset* in what? would it be called a 'variable' salon? There is diversity in NM. You could 'teach' others perhaps, in a salon and you could also expand your own experience Two Pluses in my opinion!

The terrain is diverse too It's Gorgeous; the sky, the mountains, the mesas, the desert, the colors of the morning and evening Sun...the Foods!- steaks to tamalas! Plenty of activities out-side. Cost of living is lower than Maryland.

Get involved in the area you move to, the kids school, church, community, and you'll be making New friends.

Fear not! You are on the road to a new adventure Michaela, think positive, Smile and go forward
{and this could apply to anywhere you'd move to in the- World!} Just keep doing your research and learning in advance and you'll be ahead of many

Hey NM posters help me out here with what I missed and some of those TV stations and newspapers Links, etc, Please

I've got to go eat breakfast- a few hours late, bein' lazy today LOL

Forgot:
State site is: newmexico.org

AND, read the archive pages of this Forum Michaela...many answers and posts of interests right here

Welcome!

Tia Dalma

Last edited by TiaDalma; 11-08-2008 at 08:51 AM..

Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
Welcome to New Mexico, Michaela1.
You'll like the climate in Albuquerque (the correct spelling) and probably like the culture as well once you learn about it. Is it Afro-American centric? Honestly, no. It's far more Hispano-centric. But New Mexico is a very interesting and lively blend of cultures (principly Hispanic, Native American and Anglo but with a fairl significant black population) and races...one of the things that I like about my adopted state.
The family will need East Coast Fall weather clothing for winter.
Don't be nervous.... makes it that much harder to adapt and find your place in a new environment. Relax, read some things about New Mexico, maybe even learn a little Spanish, and approach your new home in a positive, forward-looking and energetic way. You'll do great.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:29 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Welcome to the forum.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:30 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I can't answer the questions that you've asked so far but I wanted to welcome you to the NM forum Michaela.
(It's going to be my first winter here and so far I haven't needed a coat.)

Old 11-08-2008, 11:07 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
(It's going to be my first winter here and so far I haven't needed a coat.)
Having just moved to ABQ after spending three years in Panama, I'm increasingly concerned about body parts falling off..

Old 11-08-2008, 11:53 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
OMG Mike, and I thought moving from hot, humid Texas was going to shock me.
It's taken some getting used to so far. We've had the heat on a couple of times already. In Texas, I would have the a/c going still.

Michaela, a book I enjoy that talks about NM is Frommers New Mexico. I got mine from Amazon for less than 10 bucks and it gives information on all parts of the state but mostly the cities like Alb. and Santa Fe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico