Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:26 AM

58 posts, read 88,666 times

Advertisements

I'm an African-American man in my 20s considering a move to the Southwest. I'm curious if there are any other African-Americans on the forum in New Mexico that could share their experiences in living there. What challenges have you faced? What region of NM seems good for blacks? I'm looking for positive experiences along with negative ones. Basically: a balanced view. I'm not looking to be offended or expecting the worst if/when I go there. Just trying to get a realistic outlook. Even if you don't have any remarkable stories, I would just be very interested to hear your general impression of NM, and/or the city you live in.

My aspirations of moving are still in the early stages. I'm looking at different areas. I'm not a professional at this point but I'm a single guy, willing to live modestly, and I'm in a position where I can save up money now. I'm mostly interested in low crime, suburban areas, and the southwestern scenery. I'm not into nightlife or excitement aside from visiting a National Park. And of course I'm interested in diversity, especially from a black perspective. If it sounds good, maybe I'll visit.

I'm not sure if there are any black New Mexicans on the boards, but it would be nice to hear from someone who is already living there. Of course anybody can feel free to reply, regardless of race. I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 06:06 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
I'm an African-American man in my 20s considering a move to the Southwest. I'm curious if there are any other African-Americans on the forum in New Mexico that could share their experiences in living there. What challenges have you faced? What region of NM seems good for blacks? I'm looking for positive experiences along with negative ones. Basically: a balanced view. I'm not looking to be offended or expecting the worst if/when I go there. Just trying to get a realistic outlook. Even if you don't have any remarkable stories, I would just be very interested to hear your general impression of NM, and/or the city you live in.

My aspirations of moving are still in the early stages. I'm looking at different areas. I'm not a professional at this point but I'm a single guy, willing to live modestly, and I'm in a position where I can save up money now. I'm mostly interested in low crime, suburban areas, and the southwestern scenery. I'm not into nightlife or excitement aside from visiting a National Park. And of course I'm interested in diversity, especially from a black perspective. If it sounds good, maybe I'll visit.

I'm not sure if there are any black New Mexicans on the boards, but it would be nice to hear from someone who is already living there. Of course anybody can feel free to reply, regardless of race. I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks.
You're in the town we used to live. kenosha, wisconsin. we're getting out early this morning to go 4 wheeling, but we'll be back later in the day, and I'll be responding more to your post. till then, take care. mutz.
p.s. we sure do miss the diversity of milwaukee and chicago!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:52 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
Androcles wrote:

> If it sounds good, maybe I'll visit.

You should visit anyway if you haven't seen the place - just to do it.
It's worth it just to see something different.

You can get here via bus or Amrak.

Since your material needs are modest, you should be able to enjoy
yourself pretty easily. You can keep your costs down by staying
near Old Town and using the bus system to see the city. You can
also use the train to visit Santa Fe. There are modestly-priced
hotels on Cerillos Road.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 PM

58 posts, read 88,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
You're in the town we used to live. kenosha, wisconsin. we're getting out early this morning to go 4 wheeling, but we'll be back later in the day, and I'll be responding more to your post. till then, take care. mutz.
p.s. we sure do miss the diversity of milwaukee and chicago!

Yeah I actually love the area I'm living right now. Low crime, small city / suburban area with some very interesting places and good diversity within driving distance. I don't need to live in a mostly black area, but I do like a good mix if possible.

The only reason why I'm thinking of moving is the snow and cold, and the fact that winter seems to last so long here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Androcles wrote:

> If it sounds good, maybe I'll visit.

You should visit anyway if you haven't seen the place - just to do it.
It's worth it just to see something different.

You can get here via bus or Amrak.

Since your material needs are modest, you should be able to enjoy
yourself pretty easily. You can keep your costs down by staying
near Old Town and using the bus system to see the city. You can
also use the train to visit Santa Fe. There are modestly-priced
hotels on Cerillos Road.
Thanks for those tips. Sounds like it'd make a good vacation even if I don't move. Would Old Town Albuquerque also be a good spot to live for reasonable prices, or is it more of a tourist thing?

Old 03-19-2009, 01:06 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Androcles .......i'm not black but i'll give you the scoop the best i see it. New Mexico has about 5% of it's population is black however that being said it's all mixed in this state (Hispanic, Anglo, Native American, Black, Mexican etc.) as most people here really do blend in well and are not into the race politics or issues like back east or in the south.

Highest areas for Black New Mexicans are in Albuquerque, Hobbs, Clovis and Alamogordo. There's some history out here as many Black Americans were in the U.S. Cavalry (Buffalo Soldiers) in the 1880's stationed at Fort Craig (Socorro), Ft. Selden (Hatch) and Ft. Cummings (Deming) as they helped to protect the land settlers and silver miners from Apache attacks back then and i believe there's also a monument in the Black Range to honor them.

Most of the black co workers i worked with in albuquerque seemed to really like the southwest and it's ''no one cares about race issues'' attitude out here. Infact my last apt manager was a black female and that was a total non issue as no one could have cared either way if you catch my drift.

Anything else just holler at one of us !!

6/3

Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I don't live in NM (yet), but I've spent quite a bit of time there. My opinion is that it is so multicultural that hardly anyone thinks twice about race.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:55 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,417 times
I was just noticing today how many obviously mixed race children were in the
stores with their mothers. I really don't think race is an issue.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Androcles wondered:

> Would Old Town Albuquerque also be a good spot to live
> for reasonable prices, or is it more of a tourist thing?

It would be a great place to live, but you would have to check it out
to see if it is "you." Most places are very old or pretty expensive.

Not knowing the place, living in a more 'standard' apartment might
be a better fit for most people.

> Sounds like it'd make a good vacation even if I don't move.

That's the thing. Think of it as an adventure.

You never know, you might decide that you like Phoenix even better
for it's total lack of winter. Many people do.

Unfortunately, winter is ending here. January would have provided you
with your best opportunity to compare winter weather for yourself.
We were positively freeeeezing here in January with the sunny weather
in the 40's and 50's. I don't know why we put up with it.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM

332 posts, read 1,120,341 times
Androcles,

I'm black, I moved here in August, I live in a smallish town that is about 30 miles south of Albuquerque.

In general, what everyone has said here is true. Most people here could care less about race, I get along great with my co-workers, people in my neighborhood are nice, it's a very diverse place, just that diversity doesn't include a heavy amount of black people. The major problem I've had is finding someone to cut my hair out where I live. There are a few places up in Albuquerque, so if you live in an urban area, you'll probably be okay with that!

The only thing I've noticed in regards to race or feeling slightly uncomfortable, is when Plaxico Burress shot himself, the rock station I was listening to did a voice parody of him sticking the gun down his pants. I forget which station it was. Anyway, he richly deserved to be made fun of for being an idiot, but the parody voice was so over-the-top, it was pretty offensive. I remember thinking that sort of thing would never happen in NY, because Al Sharpton would be all over it in a heart-beat and the radio guy would be fired. I don't agree with the hyper-sensitivity and hysteria promoted by Rev. Sharpton, I just think there is not much thought out here about what might be offensive.

So, it's a double edged sword - there aren't a lot of black people, so being black isn't really an issue as it is in some places, where a young black man is automatically seen as a criminal. That is just not the case here, in personal interface I have NEVER felt that race is an issue. But every once in a while things crop up that are pretty offensive. One of my students, for instance, said his dad told him that Barack Obama's campaign slogan of CHANGE stood for Come Help a N... Get Elected.

But, that's out of the mouth of a 13 year old, so like water off a duck's back, you know? I don't think there is malicious intent on the part of most. And the day to day living here is pretty great!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Riverdog

> ... richly deserved to be made fun of for being an idiot, but
> the parody voice was so over-the-top, it was pretty offensive.

You don't attribute that to the person being a New Mexican or
Albuquerquean or whatever though do you?

I mean, careless, bigoted stuff like that happens all over.
It could have happened in Chicago or Memphis.

Some people don't think first.

That's gonna happen everywhere.

> ... son ... Barack Obama's campaign slogan ...

There are probably son's and daughters, black and white
learning that stuff in every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico