Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 04:11 PM

14 posts, read 45,029 times

Advertisements

How prevalent are these Africanized 'killer' bees? I read that they've found their way to NM and I'm just wondering how much of a threat they are and where they seem to be located for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 04:11 PM

14 posts, read 45,029 times
Ok, since there are no replies to this, it would seem as though it's a non-issue?

Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,421,724 times

Thats the best i could find.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 PM

165 posts, read 555,619 times
They are already in some parts of New Mexico, Texas, California, New Orleans, Florida and will probably make their way to Georgia sometime either this yr or next. They are a major problem. Our few remaining hives of European Bees down South will become Hybreeds if the Africanised queens mate and nest with them. They attack in bigger #'s, Are extremely protective over their nests, Just about anything could set them into an attack. When they attack humans or Animals, They go for anything where Oxygen exits the body. Your nose and your mouth. And once they get you down, your just covered in stinging bees. They are definetly a threat and shoudn't be taken lightly. Don't try to dispose a nest by yourself. Don't even go near the nest. The Bees will percieve this as a threat and attack. Not by the teens, or hundreds, but depending on the size of the nest.( The bigger nests can have over 40,000 bees) 2/3 rds of the nest will come after you.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:00 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Default You can't run...

There was a documentary that had this guy stir up a honey bee nest (wearing protective gear) and ran about 300ft before the bees gave up. The africanized bees chased about 3 times further. The average cross street name sign in a city suburb is posted around 500 feet before a stop sign. Imagine if you had to run twice that...bring a dozen "EpiPens"

I am allergic to the ground nest yellow jackets that were back in Ohio...small in size, but nasty in numbers.

Check out this link...

Honey Bee Research : Africanized Honey Bees

Last edited by newmex; 07-08-2007 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 12:33 AM

79 posts, read 327,497 times
hmmmm...I guess they're a serious hazard that you should be aware of...but are they prevelant here in New Mexico? Well, as you can see here, people had to go and "find" info about them, so I don't think many here in NM have have "problems" with them.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,383,253 times
All bees in the Las Vegas (Nevada) Valley are considered to be Africanized. So far this summer I have seen three swarms. One next door and one on the property just behind my house, and one at a public park. It's a shame, but they have to be killed since they pose a threat. It doesn't take a lot to set them off if they are allowed to build a hive. But killing bees is also a threat to our food source. We have to learn to live with them I guess. If not mistaken, I think there is a breeding effort underway to take away or modify their agressive behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico