Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:37 AM

23 posts, read 120,730 times

Advertisements

I was all set to move to NM as soon as my GA farm sells, I just hadn't picked the area yet. I love the horse zoning laws there...very friendly equine environment....However, I started reading about Bubonic plague and Hantavirus outbreaks there ....I've emailed the local Health Dept. and tried finding more info.

All they say is keep the mice and rats at bay...ummmm...when you own a horse property they come with the territory...you can't put out poison (it'll kill the wrong critters along with the right ones) and I do have a great barn cat and treat her and my dogs for fleas on a regular basis but it appears that is not enough.

Does anyone have the REALL skinny on this, I'm concerned as I'm older and do have health problems that give me a weakened immune system.

I would hate to pass on NM if there are solutions to prevent this or areas where this is not a problem. My older 1/2 brother and his wife live in LA and we had both planned on moving to NM...They were both raised in NM and want to return...I was sooo looking forward to having family near by...but now...I don't know.

Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2006, 10:16 AM

22,930 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Bubonic plague has been an issue in NM for decades. There are always a few outbreaks every summer. But it isn't widespread. It's not like the Black Death or anything.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:01 PM

Actually it's the same thing

I do know that it can be treatable to a certain extent now, but at least 5-10 people die from it each year in NM.

Are there any horse people out there that do rodent control and how?

Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,096,473 times
OK, the problem is not so much animals running up to you and giving you the plague.

Mice and rats up there carry the Hantavirus, you get it by touching their droppings. Therefore, if you wear gloves when you do anykind of cleaning in cupboards or closets, places mice might hang out, you should be able to avoid it. Hantavirus is treatable, but it can be fatal. Keep kids from playing where there might be mouse droppings, spiders or snakes.

The plague is mostly spread by prarrie dogs from what I have read/been told.
Stay out of prarrie dog colonies, both for your sake and your horse's sake. Horses can break a leg out in those holes. They are hard to see since the ground is so level- so before you go galloping in any fields, check the terrain out at a slower pace first.

Most people who have barns out there have barn cats to keep the vermin under control. The only downside is that the coyotes sometimes prey on barn cats (especially the young, inexperienced ones) so you either need to get a couple of greyhounds to keep the coyotes away from the cats(and hope they don't get the kitties instead), or deal with possibly losing a few barn kitties every year. Most people get their barn cats from the pound, or leave their females intact and let them breed.

There is not really any other critters besides mice and rats that you should be worried about poisoning in NM. Not really many jackrabbits, no squirrels that I have ever seen, maybe you should call pest control down in the city you plan to live near and ask more specific questions about bait, poisons and traps.

Basically, you always need to wash your hands really good, keep away from people that appear sick, try to keep your house clean and go to the doctor's if you have any medical concerns. The plague is treatable BTW.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:44 PM

138 posts, read 468,808 times
MOVINGWEST- I worked on the Navajo reservation, in 4-corners Arizona-Kayenta area. As a nurse, Hanta is is very active problem. As you heard, the droppings and ***** are the problem. Try to kep the rodent population down, before you clean up any droppings, spray with bleach, wear a mask, do not use a vacuum- it lets contamination into the air by the blowing of the vacuum- use a broom, slowly, and do not sweep 'briskly'. As far as your immune system, yes, that is a potential problem. You will have to discuss that with you dr. Depends on T-cells, why immune is down, etc. Hanta has a high mortality rate, although there are not many cases, plague treatable, depending on your system.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:31 PM

The northern part of NM has a larger share of the hantavirus problems. Especially where dc53 lived - the Four Corner region.

There are many elder people who live in rural NM, there are a lot of farms out there. I would strongly advise that wherever you choose to live in NM - you should consider what the healthcare is like in that area.

Areas that are good with healthcare area Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Alamogordo, and Clovis. Albuquerque being the best served areas of the state.

There are other threats to your health in NM, one is killer bees, the other being scorpions, black widows and brown recluses, and also they do have rattlesnakes, though they are generally less agressive than their Eastern counterparts and are usually very leery of humans unless cornered. You have to realize what the possible threats are in the area you live and manage your environment accordingly.

Most of what gets people in trouble in NM is when they put their hands in places that they cannot see, or if they are walking outdoors with inappropriate footwear or cannot see where they are stepping. Pest control there is an absolute must, both for the rodents and the insects. Always keep a clean house so you don't attract mice. Store the trash in bins away from the door. Never leave your shoes outside, don't go barefoot, always check your surroundings for critters. I never hung my laundry outside, and I always checked my surroundings for bee nests. Always have a nest professionally moved if you live down there. Those africanized bees are nuts, and are probably the most lethal insect living in NM.

That said, many retirees move out to NM and have a wonderful time. There are risks wherever you live. I would personally take the snakes (I only saw 1 in 4 years in Clovis) the spiders (also- I saw only a handful of harmful spiders while living out there) anyday over a hurricane or tornado, which the western 2/3 rds of NM rarely sees a tornado. There are also less mosquitos, which back East we have the issues with the west nile virus, we have Lymes and other tickborne diseases, and we also have that nasty Eastern Equine Encephalitis - and we have the black widows and rattlers to boot! Eastern PA also had reported cases of the hantavirus in the past.

I always suggest Alamogordo as a starting place to look for a home in NM. It offers wonderful climate, low crime, it is a stunning area with lots to do, and you would be able to find some property out there to call home and enjoy life. There are also less prarrie dogs LOL!

And a sit down talk to a MD about what your specific healthcare needs are and if NM living would compromise them. If you get a greenlight and want to go - do some research on appropriate pest control. Eventually the things you need to do come second hand.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2006, 04:09 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,976 times
just what areas of nm have this problem so I will know not to move there.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:05 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,291,930 times
One of our freinds got hanta virus a few years ago. She survived after a very long stay in the hospital. She had to relearn how to walk on her own when it was said and done.
The state tracked the problem to there detached garage. They had let several years of stuff build up in the garage. That gave the mice a nice cozy place to live. She was out in the garage looking for something and she got it. While she was stabilized in the hospital her hubby got the place cleaned up.

Keep your yard clean and get rid of cluter and you probably won't have to worry about Hanta virus.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:02 PM

Common sense must prevail and wether you are in NM or Maine, you need to learn how to protect yourself from any disease that can be transmitted by animals. Always wash your hands, never clean areas soiled by animal droppings with bare hands, and protect your lungs with a HEPA mask when you are cleaning dirty, cluttered areas too!

I would never say that there is an area that does not have Hanta Virus. It is just a matter of who manages to come into contact with it - and where. Like I said earlier, the issue is not restricted to NM either.

Check out the CDC's site on Hantavirus and its prevention. Do an internet search if this link dosen't show:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...es/prevent.htm

Old 09-01-2006, 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone, I currently live in the SE...tornados, anything that moves bites or stings, anything that grows sticks or gives you a major rash...LOL.

OH and we have very agressive posinus snakes, brown recluses and black widows along with scorpions.

I was raised in the PacNW, but I need a low humidity area for health reasons...living in GA I've developed major allergies that have compromized my immune system....Last year I had Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever, this year I've been diagnosed with Epstein-Barr...My Docs have basically said...get out of GA.

I did talk with my Docs about the Plauge and Hanta viruses and they feel that I need to stay away from some place like that.

I want to have a small place for my horse and dogs and I think I'll look for a safer place for me and just visit NM.

Thanks again for all your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico