Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Back in '93 when the breakout occurred there was so correlation drawn between the high pinon years and the increase in deer mice, thus peak cycles.
So what determines peak years for piñons?

You may well have the key since I know of only one banner year for piñons in my locale in the 15 I've lived here, and it may well have coincided with the deer mice "invasion" - even though I don't live anywhere near where the most piñons grow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,871,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
So what determines peak years for piñons?

You may well have the key since I know of only one banner year for piñons in my locale in the 15 I've lived here, and it may well have coincided with the deer mice "invasion" - even though I don't live anywhere near where the most piñons grow.

They have already correlated that high precipitation years (snow & rain) will bring high pinion growth the following year and the subsequent higher Deer Mouse rate and Hantavirus rate.

Even the Navajo correlated this as when they had a wet summer & fall, the following spring a lot of people would start dying unexpectedly. They didn't know that the Deer Mice were causing it, they just knew wet weather brought death the following year.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
They have already correlated that high precipitation years (snow & rain) will bring high pinion growth the following year and the subsequent higher Deer Mouse rate and Hantavirus rate.
That's certainly seems logical. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,148 times
I would put the concern as equal to rabid skunks in many parts of the country or the fear of sharks when swimming in the ocean. When there's a valid concern some safety measures should be taken but for most of your life it's not an issue. Some people are more concerned about these things than others.

Interesting about the correlation between wet fall/winter and sickness the following year.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Otero County man hospitalized with Hantavirus
New Mexico posts highest number of Hantavirus cases in the nation
By Dianne Stallings
dstallings@ruidosonews.com @RuidosoNews on Twitter
Posted: 12/12/2014 12:09:04 PM MST
Otero County man hospitalized with Hantavirus - Ruidoso News

A 28-year-old man from McKinley County died this week from Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome and a 49-year-old man from Otero County still is hospitalized with the viral infection, but improving.

Otero County is Ruidoso's neighbor to the south. New Mexico this year has seen a total of six HPS cases, three resulting in death.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,440 times
Looking up the flea area in Santa Fe New Mexico; there seems to be little problems with fleas, however, there has been a recent plaque outbreak that has killed one person so far this year (2017) and a small number of animals. How are the infected fleas hitching a ride into New Mexico, the state with the most case history of the plaque? is it possible that since Santa Fe has a relatively low flea population, that textiles coming into the market are harboring the flea and most importantly the unseen eggs to the area? it is very possible that Santa Fe is receiving textiles from a higher flea demographic area. It is important to keep this in mind when you are bringing anything into your home. Reading this topic post about the low level of fleas in the area, it makes sense to me that they are hitching a ride from higher populations of them. It may be time to be sure any textiles, including carpets, clothes, and bedding be laundered/ treated appropriately to kill the fleas and eggs.

Last edited by M.Briggs; 07-07-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Briggs View Post
Looking up the flea area in Santa Fe New Mexico; there seems to be little problems with fleas, however, there has been a recent plaque outbreak that has killed one person so far this year (2017) and a small number of animals. How are the infected fleas hitching a ride into New Mexico, the state with the most case history of the plaque? is it possible that since Santa Fe has a relatively low flea population, that textiles coming into the market are harboring the flea and most importantly the unseen eggs to the area? it is very possible that Santa Fe is receiving textiles from a higher flea demographic area. It is important to keep this in mind when you are bringing anything into your home. Reading this topic post about the low level of fleas in the area, it makes sense to me that they are hitching a ride from higher populations of them. It may be time to be sure any textiles, including carpets, clothes, and bedding be laundered/ treated appropriately to kill the fleas and eggs.
I don't buy your theory "that textiles coming into the market are harboring the flea and most importantly the unseen eggs to the area? it is very possible that Santa Fe is receiving textiles from a higher flea demographic area. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ico/103222226/
Quote:
The plague is typically transmitted to humans through the bites of infected fleas, but can also be transmitted through contact with rodents or dead animals.

According to the CDC, people can reduce their chances of contracting the plague by reducing rodent habitat around their homes, treating pets for fleas, and wearing appropriate bug spray when camping or in areas where you may come into contact with fleas.
https://nmhealth.org/publication/view/help/1010/
Quote:
How is plague spread?

Plague bacteria live in rodents and other small mammals.

When fleas feed on infected animals, the fleas also get infected. The disease may then be spread to people and pets if they are bitten by the infected fleas. Persons may also get the disease through close contact with infected animals (e.g., through an animal bite or scratch or through handling animal tissues).

If the disease gets into the lungs, it may be spread from person to person by droplets released when the infected person coughs.
Three other threads pertaining to Plague:
Plague in Bernalillo county/ferrel cats
The Plague and Hantavirus Questions
Plague found near santa fe

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-07-2017 at 08:28 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I don't buy your theory "that textiles coming into the market are harboring the flea and most importantly the unseen eggs to the area? it is very possible that Santa Fe is receiving textiles from a higher flea demographic area. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ico/103222226/
https://nmhealth.org/publication/view/help/1010/
Three other threads pertaining to Plague:
Plague in Bernalillo county/ferrel cats
The Plague and Hantavirus Questions
Plague found near santa fe
Yes, it is a theory, how is it that even the rodent population is lowering in a smaller population of fleas? New Mexico history has the highest in U.S. history incidents of the plague, Demographically a lower level of fleas and animals. Why Santa Fe now? I also think those animals that died were pets, dead animals usually don't get tested in general.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:00 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,629 times
The plague has been here a long time, and no it's not hitching a ride on imported textiles.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,940 times
The plague has only been with us about 100 years in NM.

A fascinating 2015 article on it: Plague kills Americans and spreads in Yosemite National Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico