Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 09:31 AM

153 posts, read 211,697 times

Advertisements

The state has been out here setting traps (epidemiologist) and our neighbors are telling us there are ferrel cats carrying plague-has anyone seen or heard what is going on? The state agency isn't giving us much
information, my guess is they are collecting all the data before they report.
I do know plague is still an issue here in NM. This is in North Albuquerque Acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 09:38 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
KOB TV Channel 4
Health Dept: Stray cat dies from plague; city employees on fever watch | KOB.com
Health Dept: Stray cat dies from plague; city employees on fever watch
Jen French
April 11, 2017 06:45 AM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The City of Albuquerque Environmental Health Department, the New Mexico Department of Health and the Bernalillo County Health Protection Section are warning people to not get near stray, sick animals after a cat recently died from the plague.

A Northeast Heights couple and a handful of City of Albuquerque Animal Welfare Department employees are now on fever watch after they were exposed to the animal on April 2. Fever watch means the individuals are being monitored for symptoms, but are not being quarantined.

The fever watch is a precautionary measure. The city doesn’t anticipate that the individuals will contract the plague or be contagious.

And:

New Mexico Department of Health
https://nmhealth.org/news/disease/2017/4/?view=554
Plague Activity Detected in North Albuquerque Acres
April 10, 2017 - Zoonotic Diseases - Disease

Residents are being asked to be vigilant and report sick or dead animals.

The City of Albuquerque Environmental Health Department, the New Mexico Department of Health and the Bernalillo County Health Protection Section announced today that a stray cat found in North Albuquerque Acres was confirmed to have died of plague. A recent case of plague in a dog in the same vicinity could indicate re-emergence of plague in a part of the city where it was no longer thought to be found.

And

Albuquerque: Stray cat dies from plague
by Press Release
April 11, 2017

Albuquerque: Stray cat dies from plague - Outbreak News Today

Old 04-14-2017, 09:54 AM

153 posts, read 211,697 times
Poncho, thank you very much! I don't watch local TV, just read the local paper. I just got off the phone and 311 will patch people through to urban biology/zoonotics, the real problem is with rodents that are carrying plague.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:42 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
Poncho, thank you very much! I don't watch local TV, just read the local paper. I just got off the phone and 311 will patch people through to urban biology/zoonotics, the real problem is with rodents that are carrying plague.
Yes - there are lots of wild animals in NM that frequently plague; I'd imagine that feral cats are only a problem insofar as they rub shoulders with domestic cats that might be more likely to come into human spaces.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:44 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Please note the plague also requires fleas to complete its lifecycle. I hope the City, County and State health Departments get on top of this ASAP.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:05 PM

5,044 posts, read 7,419,654 times
Nothing new. Cases of plague (animal and human) are reported almost every year in New Mexico.

https://entomologytoday.org/2015/09/...in-new-mexico/

Old 04-14-2017, 04:59 PM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I think the story was essentially that it popped up in an unexpected place. It isn't all that rare is some areas of NM.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:44 PM

Plague. Most human cases in the United States occur in two regions:
Northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, and southern Colorado
California, southern Oregon, and far western Nevada
Check out the map; https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/

Old 04-15-2017, 04:58 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Plague. Most human cases in the United States occur in two regions:
Northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, and southern Colorado
California, southern Oregon, and far western Nevada
Check out the map; https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/
what's interesting about that map is it looks like the USA is the only 1st World country
that has an issue with the plague.
big powerful country and still has the plague that wiped out half of europe centuries
ago. I guess it's hard to irradicate, or it is not a high priority to do so.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
what's interesting about that map is it looks like the USA is the only 1st World country
that has an issue with the plague.
big powerful country and still has the plague that wiped out half of europe centuries
ago. I guess it's hard to irradicate, or it is not a high priority to do so.
"Maps and Statistics"
"Plague in the United States"

It isn't a "discussion" about the world...

It is in the New Mexico forum for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico