Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 PM

405 posts, read 1,334,986 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Recently I accepted a position in Espanola. My husband (whom has yet to find employment) and I will be relocating to the area in very late March...and I am freaking out!
I have never been to the area and have grown up in small, quite, low standard of living North Dakota all my life. I have so many questions and concerns about the area! I certainly appreciate any bit of advice you may have!!!

Commuting? Do most people who live in the Espanola area commute to Santa Fe for work?

If working in Espanola, where is the best place to live? Or would one reccomend living in a different surrounding area? We are looking for a 2 bedroom apt that allows two well behaved cats. I am absolutely SHOCKED at the price of rent! We pay $500 for a beautiful 2 bedroom with double stall garage. That must be unheard of in NM! I'd appreciate any rental info!

Is it absolutely insane to commute from Santa Fe to Espanola every day for work? According to google the commute is 25 minutes?

Are their any neighborhoods in Espanola to avoid? ND has virtually no crimes/drug problems... the idea kinda freaks me out.

What are the winters like? I am used to the nearly unbearable!

Anyone know of any banks/call centers in the Espanola/Santa Fe area that are hiring or great to work for?

What is the best means for a 20-something couple to get out and meet new people??

Any other ideas you may have to decrease my freaking out..I'd reeeeally appreciate it! My biggest concern right now is finding emplyment for my husband and a place to live!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 PM

20 posts, read 79,017 times
Espanola gets quite a bad rep by the locals in Santa Fe, but every time I've been there at a restaurant or bar or a wedding, it's seemed perfectly fine. It has a large Hispanic population - some people find that off-putting, but I'm the whitest of white Gringos you've ever seen (I'm Scottish) and I've never felt unsafe... out of place maybe.

The commute is fine from SF->Espanola. I used to drive from Santa Fe to Los Alamos (1 hour each way) every day. It's a nice drive, but the drivers on that commute are some of the worst you'll ever see. Stick to the speed limit thought 'cos the Native American Cops have nothing to do but sit and catch speeders.

I'd suggest living in Santa Fe if you're young and like having things to do... and you want to meet people. There's probably more job opportunities for your husband here too. Rent is probably going to be considerably higher in Santa Fe than Espanola. Most apartments would take 2 cats with an additional deposit. I've lived in 3 apartment complexes in SF and Rancho Vizcaya was by far the nicest. A knew management company came in after we left, so just check that they haven't turned the palce into a hell hole.

Good luck,
Lee

Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM

Wow! Thank you so very much for your input. I really think that we might be better of commuting everyday..but not having done that before I kinda dread it. Thanks again for your help. I'm going to look into those apts right now!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
We have several members here with connections to the Espanola area and I hope they will see your post and respond with more information for you.

I am in Santa Fe, and while you will find it more expensive for rentals here, I would think the choice you would find is greater...and there would be more to do in the city for a young couple.

Being from North Dakota, you will find the winters quite mild here. I am originally from New York, so I kind of smile when I hear anyone describe the weather in Santa Fe as cold and wintery. It will not be what you are used to in North Dakota.

The Santa Fe/Espanola area has a nice change of seasons and a little bit of snow and usually fairly mild temperatures, although a 20 or 30º with our frequent windy weather can feel uncomfortable.

I have not had a lot of experience with Espanola, but I think what lee337 describes is correct -- and I am not sure Espanola gets the bad rap it sometimes gets. I have always found people there (in my limited experience) to be nice people.

Good luck with your move. This will be quite an adventure for you and I hope you come to love the area as so many of us do.

~Towanda

Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,776 times
Get a permit to carry a concealed firearm and then get out to the shooting range and practice.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 AM

713 posts, read 1,845,551 times
I have spent a lot of time in Espanola and know a lot of people there. Wonderful people. There is trouble as there is anywhere else.

However, as a young couple just moving to NM, I would move to SF and commute. There is not much for a young couple not from the area to do in Espanola. Your options are much more in SF. And there are many people who commute from Esp. to SF to work. Not so many the other way, so your commute wouldn't be bad.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,259 times
I grew up in Espanola, I also went to the high school. My family still lives there and has strong roots there. Espanola is "stereotyped" as dangerous and if you ask some people say from Santa Fe or Los Alamos they will say its a horrid place to live, I on the other hand know most of the people that talk about Espanola have never actually stayed there long enough to actually find out how great of a place it actually is. Espanola is a beuatiful city, with friendly people. Its a small place so mostly everyone knows each other. There is also rumors of a bad drug problem in the city, that is also not true however there is a problem in 2 smaller communities out side of the city.

The fastest way to get from Espanola to Santa Fe is using US Highway 285, its almost like a freeway pretty much. It only takes about 25 min or less, just watch for the BIA Police..

Espanola has tons of Banks, Century Bank aand Valley National are the Largest, I'm sure they are hiring for some kind of position.. the city mostly has banks to be quite honest.

There are also great places to eat, such as the famous El Paragua, Angelina's, Chili's and tons of fast food chains as well there is also great places to shop in Espanola, although Wal-Mart Supercenter is always packed, there are alternatives like Super Save and Center Market which are locally owned.

Crime in Espanola is fairly low, most neighboorhoods are fine. And the schools are also great, Espanola Valley High School has some great raitings, great teachers and students.

Belive me, you will love it.. Its only a small town of 10,000 btw.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.. like i said i know Espanola very well.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM

Wow! I thank everyone so much for the replies. I have been doing "google street maps" and its pretty eye opening. I don't want to judge any of these places before we get there...but I reeeally don't want to end up in a place that is somehow unfit for our family.
After what everyone has said I think our best bet is to try to find an apartment or condo on the very north end of SF..atleast for now...and commute each day. After that, who knows. I also think that moving to a new area and allowing oneself to get bored can be dangerous...especially being away from "home".
I must say I AM looking foward to the slack winters. We are sitting with 33.5 inches of snow since Dec 1...can't say Ill miss that!
Anyway! If anyone knows any good places to live (rent) on the N. end of SF I'd sure appreciate it!

Happy Tuesday!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Wow! I thank everyone so much for the replies. I have been doing "google street maps" and its pretty eye opening. I don't want to judge any of these places before we get there...but I reeeally don't want to end up in a place that is somehow unfit for our family.
After what everyone has said I think our best bet is to try to find an apartment or condo on the very north end of SF..atleast for now...and commute each day. After that, who knows. I also think that moving to a new area and allowing oneself to get bored can be dangerous...especially being away from "home".
I must say I AM looking foward to the slack winters. We are sitting with 33.5 inches of snow since Dec 1...can't say Ill miss that!
Anyway! If anyone knows any good places to live (rent) on the N. end of SF I'd sure appreciate it!

Happy Tuesday!!!

Well to be honest with you those google map images are a bit old, the cities have changed big time since they last taken those..

Have you looked into any homes or rentals in Espanola? Cause Santa Fe is really expensive...

Santa Fe and Espanola get good amounts of snow.. especially up in the mountains!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 PM

146 posts, read 453,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Well to be honest with you those google map images are a bit old, the cities have changed big time since they last taken those..

Have you looked into any homes or rentals in Espanola? Cause Santa Fe is really expensive...

Santa Fe and Espanola get good amounts of snow.. especially up in the mountains!
Bradly,

How old would you guess the photos on google earth to be? (why are they always winter shots, on overcast days?!!?)

Do you think they will ever update them??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico