Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 AM

751 posts, read 1,179,852 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I visited Espanola about 6 months ago and found this town very interesting. However, I have a feeling that it might not be a safe place..any thoughts? I hung out around N Riverside DR area on a Saturday night and saw a lot of cruising and lowriders, although that was kinda expected. Most people seemed very nice, however I was wondering if non-Hispanics would have problems in a town that is 80% Hispanic?? Also, is there a gang culture that goes with the lowriding and cruising..or not? I heard some horror stories about schools in the area being gang infested, but the town was very quiet on Sunday morning! Please share your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,636,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I was wondering if non-Hispanics would have problems in a town that is 80% Hispanic??
Ahh......NO......

Old 09-16-2007, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 33,308 times
Default Espanola NM

This little city is the heroin capital of the United States. Unfortunately gang activety is in fact taking over the schools and the cruise is not just for show. I lived in the area and it is a beautiful stop on the low road to Toas. It's too bad that international drug and human trafficking is so profitable, this little town has little else to explain the money that keeps the young people driving late model cars and wearing layers of gold chains and rings.
This was the first capital in the continental United States. It's a very historic area of our country with art and culture of native and hispanic artists every where but that is being lost to the heat of black tar heroin. What was once an enclave of Georgia Okeefe and others in the Art World of the early 19 hundred's, has become a haven of ugly tattoo covered boys and girls watching for the slightest chance to thrown down for someone's disrespect.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
I'm assuming for the moment that you don't work for the Espanola Chamber of Commerce. I've been through Espanola several times and found little to recommend it, but I didn't spend any time there, always being on the way to Red River. I'm sorry that it has fallen on such bad times.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 33,308 times
No just lived there, have family still living there. Wish it were otherwise, wouldn't recommend it other than as a pass through. Every thing north east and west of there is wonderful. Abiqui, Taos, all the way to Co. is beautiful country with normal peaceful inhabitants. Black tar took over in a little place called Chimayo and spread into the valley and they can't seem to root it out. Chimayo is home to a sacred church "Santuario De Chimayo" known for healing, one of the oldest Catholic buildings in the country. Seems ironic.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:17 AM

10 posts, read 68,316 times
very racist,been there done that

Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 13,607 times
I visit Espanola often, but I would never live there. All of these comments are 100% correct. I travel for my job and spend up to 2 years in certain places. I have been here for 1 1/2 years and for the first time in my life I put in for a transfer. For a small town, Espanola has a high amount of gang activity, drug use, and racism. Explaining "Why" is as easy as looking at the school system. Basically if they removed Espanola's graduation rate, avg. income, unemployement rate, etc. the New Mexico state averages would change dramatically! Think I'm making this up? Look at how Espanola compares to the state avg. in these categories.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:35 PM

946 posts, read 3,267,133 times
Question Evidence?

I don't live in Espanola, but I often shop or dine there or visit with friends. I am an Anglo and have never had any problems. I am 67 years old -- I am not scaring drug-crazed gangs off by my Rambo-like appearance.

I would like to request that the people who make all the negative assertions about the town come up with some genuine data.

I will agree that Espanola is predominantly Hispanic or that the income is below the state average, but I don't consider those negatives -- they don't keep the people from being honest and friendly.

So is there data to show that crime is worse than average and that education is so much worse than other places that are extolled on this board? Or any other negative assertion that anyone wishes to make?

Last edited by Devin Bent; 02-10-2008 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Hi all:

I visited Espanola about 6 months ago and found this town very interesting. However, I have a feeling that it might not be a safe place..any thoughts? I hung out around N Riverside DR area on a Saturday night and saw a lot of cruising and lowriders, although that was kinda expected. Most people seemed very nice, however I was wondering if non-Hispanics would have problems in a town that is 80% Hispanic?? Also, is there a gang culture that goes with the lowriding and cruising..or not? I heard some horror stories about schools in the area being gang infested, but the town was very quiet on Sunday morning! Please share your thoughts!
Sorry to hear of your experiences, however my uncle has lived in Espanola since having returned from serving in the Vietnam war and he has not had one single problem. He is anglo and lives on about 1 acre.

~Cali-girl

Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,636,274 times
I see Lukeache is no longer a member as that usually means that he is Banned from City Data.

I hear you Devin in that i've never had a problem when i visited the Enchanted Circle as you have to go thru Espanola. Maybe it's just me but i don't get the ''Scared'' thing with Espanola..

By the way hows the new Hyway from Santa Fe to Pojoaque......

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 02-10-2008 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Spell Check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico