Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 PM

18 posts, read 148,068 times

Advertisements

We are seriously concidering these two cities for early retirement (I'm mid 40's, husband early 50's). We currently live in small town on So. Oregon coast, but our town is becoming very "Hoity" since they built a world class golf resort here several years ago (Pacific Dunes is #1 in the nation, beating out Pebble Beach!) We would like info, from people who live in Silver City or Deming about things such as; water availability and quality (well or city, which is better?), things that can hurt you ( snakes , scorpions, etc.- lived in Baja for 8 years, so neither scare us, just want to know how common or numerous), hazardous waste or dump sites in area, the strip mining issue (dangers to health? My husband has a pre-existing condition, we can't take any chances), soil conditions (am avid organic gardener!),Farmers Markets, retail stores ( will need to furnish house) and anything else anyone might think is of interest.
We have read alot on this Forum and the people seem very laid back and friendly. We hope we would be a welcome addition to this area. The housing prices are good, the weather seems to be just what we're looking for. We are small town people - friendly,relaxed and looking forward to the climate change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 10,973 times
Default Silver City

My wife and I just purchased 10.6 acres just outside Silver City. (18 minutes from Super Wal Mart! LOL)
Fell in love with the little town.
Great outdoor recreation opportunities, great climate, some fabulous resturaunts, adequate health care, low property taxes, etc.........
It is, however, "being discovered" and land and home prices are on the rise.
We met with a homebuilder and the construction costs are very reasonable at this time.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:39 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I would probably pick Silver City over Deming because it's cooler in summer and the scenery is more alpine, but those are my own preferences.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 AM

48 posts, read 223,747 times
Default silvercity or deming

When it came down to it I chose Deming over Silver city, I was born and raised in New york City. moved to upstate N.Y. whanted a change in climate and out of the mountins.Deming offers all of that and more.Very friendly warm people miled winters cool summer nights wonderfull florida mountin views.Just a half hour or 33 miles to Mexico and all it has to offer Small town atmosphere super wall mart too many other stores like peppers /many things to do and see.Medical hospital offering many services.verygood restrunts and dining. Silvercity isa very nice place however I dont whant to live around anywhere there is strpmining.and it is huge in silvercity,with copper prices high there working over time.verybad air quality.check dec web site tipe in zip code. most of N.M. experinced flooding this summer check out this fourm on past blogs on the flooding subject.Silver had 4 feet of water down main street alone.and yes Deming aswell but only west of town near mimbes river.for me the Demingis the perfect mix.since ordenance 37was passed restricting building to 2 or more acre and other inhancements.property is on the rise texas devlp.to build a 6 screen/14 lane theater/bowling complex.so dont wait

Old 01-02-2007, 06:13 AM

48 posts, read 223,747 times
p/s me and the wife are in our late and middle fourties.we bought five acre plol off hwy 11 five miles out of Deming,very convenient,beutiful florida mountin views I guess I dont have to say it we are very happy with our choice.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:49 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies

We so appreciate all of the great info and personal views. The people are a good part of what will make our decision, and I would be happy to have any of you as neighbors. Keep the info comming! Thank You.

Last edited by kbbhere; 01-02-2007 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 01-20-2007, 08:27 PM

Question Which is windier, Silver city or Deming?

We are still trying to decide between the two towns to settle in, and all things seem to be an even trade off so far. The one deciding factor would
be how windy it gets in each place. I know both towns are fairly windy, but which one has the least wind in your opinion? Thanks good people for your input on this. Kbbhere.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,894 times
Default Deming is much windier

Believe it or not I used to run the weather station at the airport there back from 95-97 and I can tell you that Deming is significantly windier. The reason is because of the lack of vegetation and trees and hence there is less friction to inhibit the velocity. Up in Silver they not only have trees and vegetation but also the terrain is rougher which also reduces the wind. Naturally you also will avoid such unpleasant events such as sand and dust storms up there. It can really become nasty down on the desert floor from around Feb-Mar to May as blowing dust and sand is very common every week. Enough said?

Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 PM

63 posts, read 327,207 times
i guess the weather man knows (: silver city is lovely. deming is a stinkhole, imo. (:

Old 03-15-2007, 09:05 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
Default Stinkhole?

What makes Deming a "stinkhole", and what does that have to do with wind? Posts like this add nothing to the topic and show no class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico