Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times

Advertisements

Silver City would be my first choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Silver City.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1881 View Post
scout out the area for a possible move.

What is rent like? Crime? I imagine that the job market

Thanks for any info!
Deming and Silver City are about 50 miles apart and a little over 1 hour driving distance...

Desert versus Mountains.... Climate tends to be a bit nicer for most people in Silver City...

Crime rate in Silver City is higher than Deming.

Cost of living in Silver City is higher than Deming.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Mexico.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Deming-New-Mexico.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Silver...ew-Mexico.html

I have been to both cities over the years and I have known people who have lived in both cities.

Deming is closer to a major airport and for personal reasons if I had to choose, I would pick Deming of your two choices. I suspect you might have better employment choices there, just guessing on that based on population.

If it were me and I had other choices I would seriously consider Las Cruces, 60 miles from Deming (112 miles from Silver City).

Rich

Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 PM

38 posts, read 111,110 times
What are the current border conditions in Columbus/Puerto Palomas? My wife wants to cross the border and go shopping at the Pink Store.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
What are the current border conditions in Columbus/Puerto Palomas? My wife wants to cross the border and go shopping at the Pink Store.
People from the USA side do it all the time. Just use good ole common sense and you should be okay. But there is always a risk today that can't be ignored. News stories the last few days have been emphasizing the number of USA citizens killed in Mexico lately.

To wit:
Quote:
The first half of 2011 was the most deadly six-month period for U.S. citizens in Mexico over the past eight years, according to U.S. State Department data.
The statistics, compiled by Los Angeles’ La Opinión newspaper from the State Department's database, state that between January 4 and June 11 of this year, 65 Americans were killed in Mexico, a 300 percent increase from 2003.

Read more: US Citizen Deaths in Mexico at 8-Year High | Fox News Latino

Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
I recommend you read this recent thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...chihuahua.html

Rich

Old 11-08-2011, 05:52 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
News stories the last few days have been emphasizing the number of USA citizens killed in Mexico lately.
Here is further information contained in recent articles:
Quote:
The U.S. State Department has not lifted its travel warning for Mexico.
"You should be especially aware of safety and security concerns when visiting the northern border states of Northern Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, Nuevo Leon, and Tamaulipas," according to the U.S. advisory.
"Much of the country's narcotics-related violence has occurred in the border region. More than a third of all U.S. citizens killed in Mexico in 2010 whose deaths were reported to the U.S. government were killed in the border cities of Ciudad Juárez and Tijuana," the State Department said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico