Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think you can attribute everything you just wrote to every major metro area, due to population growth in this country. If you think about it, the country went from 200 million to 300 million in the course of my lifetime (1966 to now). I'd say that Philadelphia's suburbs have been spared much of the sprawl that you'd see in a comparable area in another city. Consider Plano Texas. If you lived there in 1965, the population was a little under 5,000 souls. Today, it's 267,000 people. (Incidentally, I think that's a disgrace) That's what sprawl is like in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro is like. I'd say that if you ran comparables with towns like Medford, Mount Laurel, Toms River, Tuckerton, you'd see that you are very fortunate in comparison.
You're absolutely right. I've spoken with people who lived in Mount Laurel, Marlton, Medford in the '60s and early '70s. Their homes were surrounded by orchards, farms. Someone raised cows on a farm on Rt. 70 around Cropwell Rd. (McDonalds now) until the early '70s. They watched as the 18th and 19th century farmhouses were razed to make way for the new developments. My community was built around a former cranberry bog. The area, hundreds of acres, was owned, farmed, managed by many generations of the same family. An old, sagging, vandalized farmhouse stands on the edge of a development just a mile up the road from where I live. No one there seems to know anything about it.

I wasn't born here, but I've adopted this crooked little state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 PM

190 posts, read 443,310 times
There are so many great points in this thread-- it's another reason why I love these forums. South Jersey is a fantastic place. We've had a summer home there for generations. I've always loved it, and will probably move there some day. No McMansions for our family, just a house in the woods. I too have fallen into the trap of expressing my disgust with NE New Jersey as a general disdain for the entire state. Southern New Jersey is a different world, one of a much slower pace in more rural surroundings. Less pollution, lower cost of living (if you're not right on the beach!), and close proximity to the ocean as well as Philly and NYC make it very desirable.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Correct
Every county excluding Ocean County, NJ.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 AM

20 posts, read 70,073 times
Well, yes, many Wawa's now in North Jersey. I love North And South. I have small place in seaside, and primary in North Jersey. We have a few Wawa's now. Too much fun made of Jersey, and I think it's mean to tear down the state. I don't know why they do it so much.
There are differences, but not that many. I guess south, the air is definately clearer. Love walking the boards beside the Ocean, and I guess I would rather live South, but my friends and family don't necessarily agree, so I guess can't go there permanantly. Also, too many stairs in So. Jersey place. Going to have to sell. North and South.
Okay, spoke about South Jersey.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
^^ its funny that wawa's only hitting n. jersey now. i had plenty of them around while growing up in southern ct in the 80's...

Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
^^ its funny that wawa's only hitting n. jersey now. i had plenty of them around while growing up in southern ct in the 80's...
Wawa in NJ seem to be south of I-78 , although the bulk of them ive found are south of I-195. I go to Wawa every time i'm PA , there my favorite convince store , and i take them over 7-11 any day.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Every county excluding Ocean County, NJ.
I'd consider most of Ocean County as Central Jersey.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'd consider most of Ocean County as Central Jersey.
I would too. We have friends in Brick and they refer to themselves as South Jersey. weird

Old 03-09-2010, 11:43 AM

877 posts, read 2,838,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I would too. We have friends in Brick and they refer to themselves as South Jersey. weird
My ex grew up in Jackson and I know her mother emerged from Turnersville, their city was always Philadelphia. Also the Lakewood Blue Claws are a Minor Leage Phillies, not Mets or Yankees. I live in North Brunswick now, grew up in Manalapan, and Ocean County has always been a vacation to either place.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Growing up in Cumberland County I always considered considered Tom's River as being "way up there in North Jersey" and as a boarder town for North/South (this is also before I knew of a Central Jersey)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey