Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,322,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
The suburbs of Philly are part of south Jersey? You mean they are part of the area known as "the Delaware Valley," right?
Some parts are suburbs of Philly, ... =
Some parts (of Southern Jersey) are suburbs of Philly, ...

Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Some parts are suburbs of Philly, ... =
Some parts (of Southern Jersey) are suburbs of Philly, ...

Right?
Correct

Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM

877 posts, read 2,841,971 times
I love South Jersey, yes the areas near Philly. It's the first part of Jersey I ever knew and even though I'm on my own now and really dig the town I live in (North Brunswick) if I had to choose anywhere in NJ it'd definitely be somewhere in southern Burlington County near Marlton or Maple Shade area. Love the pureness of the Pine Barrens, looks so perfect you almost think it's fake. Born in Staten Island, I've had my mother's side of the family in Cherry Hill my entire life (they moved there in 1970) and that part of NJ was always what I'd consider my New Jersey. I'm where I am for work reasons, and really enjoy the New Brunswick night life, but if I had to choose I'd go down there in a heartbeat.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Hey DailyJournalist, I realized recently that you moved from Orlando area back to the Philly metro (South J) in the last few months. I live in the Atlanta metro and am considering a move to the Philly metro. My question for you is: how do you compare the general economy -- including foreclosures, shuttered businesses, vibrancy, etc. --- of Orlando (and/or anything you know about the economy of Atlanta) to what you are seeing in your new locale.

If this is hijacking the thread, please send a single post, and I will DM you for clarifications. Thanks!
The economy and everything else here is 1000 times better.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:33 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,888,730 times
Mod cut: not a chat board.

In my area, most people work somewhere in town, or one of the surrounding communities. Some people commute to Atlantic City, and even less to Philadelphia. Also, was anyone else raised to hate people who commuted to Philly? We always looked at them as people who belong in P.A. and are taking up our open spaces with their over-crowded housing developments.

As for how north Wawa goes, the farthest north one I know of is in Aberdeenish/Laurence Harborish

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-22-2010 at 05:07 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 10:42 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,354,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Correct
In my 50+ years, I have never heard of this. They are different states! How can they be categorized as being part of the philly burbs???

Old 02-22-2010, 05:41 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,358,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Also, was anyone else raised to hate people who commuted to Philly? We always looked at them as people who belong in P.A. and are taking up our open spaces with their over-crowded housing developments.
Why would you hate people that commute to Philly? A lot of them are originally from NJ they just work in PA. It's just like people in North Jersey commuting to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
In my 50+ years, I have never heard of this. They are different states! How can they be categorized as being part of the philly burbs???
A lot of South Jersey is Philadelphia suburbs just like a lot of North Jersey is NY suburbs...that's a different state too.

You do know that Philadelphia is right across the river from NJ right? That's like people who tell me (living 10 miles from Philly) that I should be a Devils fan because they play in NJ even though it would take almost 2 hours to get to the Meadowlands when it takes about 15 minutes to get to the Philly Sports Complex. In fact I often think that getting to Phillies games is easier from NJ than it is from PA. As long as you can get out of the parking lot, you're over the bridge in 5 minutes. Good luck getting very far on 76 west in that amount of time.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,896,998 times
Growing up in Philly, we always vacationed in South Jersey, shopped in South Jersey and now (our 1 year anniversary!) live in South Jersey. We LOVE it here. Has everything we want and is safe and clean, graffiti free. South Jersey should not be said in the same sentence as North Jersey IMHO. We have everything here that our friends up North wished they had. Open spaces, lower taxes, new stores, nice homes and Philly in case we want to watch the Phils or eagles

Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
Living most of my life in Northern NJ and being at odds with living there a lot of the time, it was only after I moved to Burlington County in 2001 that I gained a greater appreciation for the state's qualities. I enjoyed much more serenity living in southern NJ than I ever had living in northern New Jersey.

Of course, now that I've moved completely, I've gained an even greater appreciation. I think that some who have expressed displeasure on this board should be mandated to move somewhere at least 500 miles away for a year. I think you'd see a lot more appreciation for NJ in general, but south of Trenton especially. Just my .02

Old 02-22-2010, 08:35 AM

50,931 posts, read 36,629,320 times
There are plenty of jobs for me right here in Cape May County, but I work in health care, so I would guess it depends on your field. For the first year I moved here permanently though I kept my old job (I lived in Marlton before) and to me it was worth the commute, even on Fridays when I worked in Mt. Holly (actually that was my favorite drive of the week, as I took Jackson road and went all the way through Medford and all the horse farms).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey