Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,896,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Living most of my life in Northern NJ and being at odds with living there a lot of the time, it was only after I moved to Burlington County in 2001 that I gained a greater appreciation for the state's qualities. I enjoyed much more serenity living in southern NJ than I ever had living in northern New Jersey.

Of course, now that I've moved completely, I've gained an even greater appreciation. I think that some who have expressed displeasure on this board should be mandated to move somewhere at least 500 miles away for a year. I think you'd see a lot more appreciation for NJ in general, but south of Trenton especially. Just my .02
Yep, Burlington county is where we are at too. Could not ask for a better place to call home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:16 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,554,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I was talking to a jersey realtor the other day, and he too made the comment that north and south are like traveling to two separate countries altogether. He loves living in CMC, growing up in my choking, congested neck of the woods in SE PA.

So do most South Jersians travel to Central jersey for jobs - or are there enough in the SJ area? Any travel to Philly for work? Just curious...
i work in cherry hill. and there are people here who commute from central jersey (new brunswick, somerset, trenton etc..), philly & bucks county and other parts of south jersey. there are a lot of office parks in burlington and camden counties..

Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,888,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Why would you hate people that commute to Philly? A lot of them are originally from NJ they just work in PA. It's just like people in North Jersey commuting to NYC.
Its just how we were raised. They took up former farm land and forests by living in these obnoxious McMansions with no yards (stereotypically speaking). They also clog the roads each morning. I'm not that way anymore, because now a days I find it weird.

Also, about parts of South Jersey being Philly Suburbs, that like saying parts of North Jersey aren't NYC Suburbs.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Its just how we were raised. They took up former farm land and forests by living in these obnoxious McMansions with no yards (stereotypically speaking).
I never heard of anyone feeling that way in my area of South Jersey. I live in South Jersey and work in Philadelphia and dont live in a McMansion or in a town that has McMansion. My town is highly walkable and I dont clog up the roadways because I take the PATCO train to work.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I was never raised that way, either. I DO (now that I live here, of course!) look with disdain at the PA folk who rattle my peaceful existence
I dont feel that way at all, I think PA people are great and like that they visit NJ. I know no one in my town that thinks that way about people from PA. That thinking must come from people outside Camden County.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:48 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Its just how we were raised. They took up former farm land and forests by living in these obnoxious McMansions with no yards (stereotypically speaking). They also clog the roads each morning. I'm not that way anymore, because now a days I find it weird.

Also, about parts of South Jersey being Philly Suburbs, that like saying parts of North Jersey aren't NYC Suburbs.
I think you can attribute everything you just wrote to every major metro area, due to population growth in this country. If you think about it, the country went from 200 million to 300 million in the course of my lifetime (1966 to now). I'd say that Philadelphia's suburbs have been spared much of the sprawl that you'd see in a comparable area in another city. Consider Plano Texas. If you lived there in 1965, the population was a little under 5,000 souls. Today, it's 267,000 people. (Incidentally, I think that's a disgrace) That's what sprawl is like in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro is like. I'd say that if you ran comparables with towns like Medford, Mount Laurel, Toms River, Tuckerton, you'd see that you are very fortunate in comparison.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 AM

50,941 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I dont feel that way at all, I think PA people are great and like that they visit NJ. I know no one in my town that thinks that way about people from PA. That thinking must come from people outside Camden County.
Yes, Atlantic and Cape May Counties!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:02 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,354,829 times
And speaking of the McMansion craze...I can recall reading an article about 5 years ago which talked about how so many farmers in Gloucester County were selling off their farms to big (ugly) builders because: A. Their children had no interest in carrying on the trade, B. Feed and equipment stores were becoming farther and farther apart, causing more difficult maintenance, and C. it was near to impossible turning down a million bucks at that point in their lives. Thus, the corridor of 322 is littered with the mega stucco, charmless blocks called homes

Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
To comment on some other poster's observations, it seems to me that as a nation, we continue to transform from a primarily agricultural society, 100 years ago, to today, which is a service-based, post industrial economy. We refer to that era nostagically, as land use is concerned. I think there is a yearning to go back to simple times, and the rural neighborhood and the desire to return to that is at the core. But the reality is that today, due to the emergence of agribusiness and technological gain, less land cover and human labor is required to produce larger harvests of crops. So, land use is now accommodating that change, which means larger, prosperous homes in proximity to cities, hence, the suburb. The focus is less on the land, and more on the structure, or area of dwelling. And that manifests itself in the form of McMansions, and that's due to sheer population increase, coupled with man's desire to live more extravagently. But in doing so, we are losing some of this country's primal origins, which was a nation of farmers, growing for themselves, and to some extent, a much smaller urban core. And as I've said, it's much more prevalent and pronounced in other cities. Philadelphia's surrounding areas (Gloucester, Salem, parts of Burlington and other formerly associated 'rural areas') have gotten off comparatively cheap, compared to what has occurred in other cities.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,981,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post

Interesting.....you've not only polled everyone in your town on that issue but everyone in Camden County too and not one person thinks that way ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey