Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 PM

127 posts, read 311,220 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about because of the election or because of taxes or anything like that.

I am talking about that because we are such a tiny state that even if somehow magically taxes were lowered (and that won't happen cuz we have such densely populated towns that need lots of services) the home prices will still remain the highest in the country.

We have little natural resource or farmland/agriculture.

When I have traveled in our country I see how most states are so big and vast with so much room to grow, so much natural resources, so much land that is farmable, they could grow a whole New Jersey within their state and still have plenty of open land left over.

That's why land and housing in NJ is expensive but it's cheap in other states.

What do you think this means for NJ's future? I think it means our state's future is dependent on how well NY and Philly do economically, how educated our people are and how many tech and pharma and other such fields that require high educations we can keep here. NJ's best resource is our people and educations.

NJ is so crowded that we can't even promote tourism too much because people from NJ already crowd out our shore and other tourist spots. Most out of state people come from NY or PA.

I think if NJ loses the quality of education and educated people then we have nothing to fall back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,637,028 times
I don't think farmland is a problem in n.j. and even if we didn't have enough, we do have ports..

Seperation of government and economics was suggested by Ayn Rand.. for there to be no taxes or regulation by government.. here's a video of her talking on it from decades ago, sounds like a prophet looking at it now:

YouTube - AYN RAND PREDICTS OBAMAS END TO THE REPUBLIC

Old 11-05-2009, 01:34 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,637,028 times
I think people in NJ are too educated, educated to a point where they're mentally paralyzed to solve the most basic problems.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 AM

306 posts, read 320,505 times
As long as Philly and NYC are still here, NJ won't go anywhere.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 AM

238 posts, read 729,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I don't think farmland is a problem in n.j. and even if we didn't have enough, we do have ports..

Seperation of government and economics was suggested by Ayn Rand.. for there to be no taxes or regulation by government.. here's a video of her talking on it from decades ago, sounds like a prophet looking at it now:

YouTube - AYN RAND PREDICTS OBAMAS END TO THE REPUBLIC
Awesome video! I got to know, and became a fan of Ayn Rand through an ethics class I took; which later on turned into philosophy/political class than ethics...LOL. Her book The Fountainhead rules!

Now back to the topic....!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 AM

555 posts, read 1,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKdros View Post
I'm not talking about because of the election or because of taxes or anything like that.

I am talking about that because we are such a tiny state that even if somehow magically taxes were lowered (and that won't happen cuz we have such densely populated towns that need lots of services) the home prices will still remain the highest in the country.

When I have traveled in our country I see how most states are so big and vast with so much room to grow, so much natural resources, so much land that is farmable, they could grow a whole New Jersey within their state and still have plenty of open land left over.

What do you think this means for NJ's future? I think it means our state's future is dependent on how well NY and Philly do economically, how educated our people are and how many tech and pharma and other such fields that require high educations we can keep here. NJ's best resource is our people and educations.

NJ is so crowded that we can't even promote tourism too much because people from NJ already crowd out our shore and other tourist spots. Most out of state people come from NY or PA.

I think if NJ loses the quality of education and educated people then we have nothing to fall back on.
Man do you need to get out of this state huh? Frankly, NJ isn't over crowded... 50% of the state at a minimum is unpopulated... go west of Parsippany or West of most of the Turnpike and you're in farm land... get south of Princeton and it's a lot of farms as well. Sure, there are a lot of suburbs surrouding NYC and Philly, but you'd expect that but NJ is big enough to get away from both of those cities.

Would you rather we be Michigan? Have our state economy entirely built on jobs that can, and should, be outsourced for cheap labor?

Would you rather be North Dakota where (until recently) agriculture ruled and a few years of droughts could destroy the state. Even in good weather many farms rely on federal aid and subsides on agriculture products to get by. As we continue to import more food that will only get worse.

We could be Arizona and carry massive amounts of illegal immigrants in our hospitals and schools. Lord knows if that river gets any more stressed it's likely to dry up and with it Phoenix.

Frankly, for the US to compete in the global market it has to be BECAUSE of our people not despite them. We have to take advantage of the fact that we are more educated and more technically advanced then 3rd world countries and stop trying to compete with their labor, but beat them with our brains. In that regard, NJ is WAY ahead of the rest of the US in positioning our citizens to compete and to succeed as the world changes.

But hey, if you want to be a farmer I can recommend some places in ND that you can get for real cheap. Just don't think of calling me when it's -40* outside with 40 mph winds driving the windchills below -100*F... and yes that happens, I grew up there.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:34 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,941,469 times
I thought you were moving to NC to your $600 new apartment? Or are you just going to stay here and complain about NJ for the rest of time?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:49 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,956,865 times
I say this with kindness, but you need to take a break from the news and the internet for a while. You sound really depressed about how the election turned out. You'll get over it. I promise. If we made it through the Bush years, you will make it through four years of Christie.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 AM

306 posts, read 320,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKdros View Post

There are 49 other states. Please, do us all a favor by picking one ASAP and moving.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 AM

13,409 posts, read 28,754,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
There are 49 other states. Please, do us all a favor by picking one ASAP and moving.

Hell there is a big WORLD out there....find your spot, go and be happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey