Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:55 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,317,437 times

Advertisements

Another thread asks about changing New Jersey's capital. Can we take this a step further? Indeed, why do we even have New Jersey?

New Jersey struggles to attain it's own identity. We're considered the land between New York and Pennsylvania. We can't even get sports franchises to affiliate with the state's name -- except the Devils! Oh, great!

Here's an idea: Let's make northeastern New Jersey part of a new state called the State of New York City. It would include the five boroughs, Westchester and Long Island. It would also include the New Jersey counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Lower Passaic, Union, and Middlesex.

South Jersey and West Jersey would become part of Pennsylvania.

The rest of New York retitles itself as The State of Upstate New York. (Or maybe we'll give parts of Sussex, parts of Morris, and Northern Passaic to upstate New York too -- places that were once in New York under the old East Jersey and West Jersey demarcations of colonial days.)

This being done,
1) the State of New York City can focus on its own issues without being burdened with the very unrelated issues of upstate and western New York.
2) Present northeast Jerseyans tend to be somewhat city-centric. We're really New Yorkers already! We'd no longer be wanna-bes!
3) South and West Jerseyans tend to be more focused on Pennsylvania. So join it already! (And Pennsylvania gets an oceanfront.)
4) Upstate New York can focus on its own issues without being burdened by the oft unrelated issues of New York City.

Still three states but much more functional with new boundaries and new names. (Oh yeah -- and no more debate about what state the Statue of Liberty is in!)

Last month, we all voted for change. Well, here it is! What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 01:22 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Present northeast Jerseyans tend to be somewhat city-centric. We're really New Yorkers already! We'd no longer be wanna-bes!

Wanna-be what? Speak for yourself.

I'm happy in the separate state of New Jersey.
Underdog is our identity & I like that. It's easy to be the biggest kid on the block.
Being squeezed between two large cities makes New Jersey scrappy & I dig that attribute.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:27 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default I say let's expand

First we have to redo that boat race where we lost Staten Island to NY.
Then do some manifest destiny due north into upstate NY and turn the penninsula of NJ into an island. That might already be in Obama's infrastructure plan to provide jobs, if not, it would be good to consider.

If you want to divide the state you can just use the old East/ West NJ dividing line, Province Line Rd. See the marker at the southwest corner of Province line and rt 518 for directions on how to proceed.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:27 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,366,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Wanna-be what? Speak for yourself.

I'm happy in the separate state of New Jersey.
Underdog is our identity & I like that. It's easy to be the biggest kid on the block.
Being squeezed between two large cities makes New Jersey scrappy & I dig that attribute.
I agree with this.

If I wanted to be a NY'er - I'd be moving to New York....not New Jersey

Old 12-20-2008, 05:20 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:

no offense to PA, but no freakin' way. If I wanted to live in PA, I'd live in PA.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 PM

531 posts, read 2,150,786 times
I've lived in Middlesex County all my adult life (about 15 years) and I don't think of myself as a New Yorker. Heck, I can't even say I've been to NYC at least once every calendar year. I live and work and play up and down the I-287 corridor, roughly from the intersection with Route 1 up to the intersection with I-78. That's my hood. That's where I'm from. Not New York City.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,817 times
MaverickDD

You're confusing New Jersey, with Long Island, NY...

Old 12-20-2008, 08:28 PM

990 posts, read 2,558,600 times
I'm from New Jersey and I can prove it.

My air smells of pollution.

I've been in a traffic jam since Thanksgiving.

My government is corrupt.

My pockets are empty from being over taxed.

And my state is virtually bankrupt.

Exactly what other state do you hate enough to saddle with this sinking ship?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:27 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,680 times
Quote:
Another thread asks about changing New Jersey's capital. Can we take this a step further? Indeed, why do we even have New Jersey?

New Jersey struggles to attain it's own identity. We're considered the land between New York and Pennsylvania. We can't even get sports franchises to affiliate with the state's name -- except the Devils! Oh, great!

Here's an idea: Let's make northeastern New Jersey part of a new state called the State of New York City. It would include the five boroughs, Westchester and Long Island. It would also include the New Jersey counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Lower Passaic, Union, and Middlesex.

The rest of New York retitles itself as The State of Upstate New York. (Or maybe we'll give parts of Sussex, parts of Morris, and Northern Passaic to upstate New York too -- places that were once in New York under the old East Jersey and West Jersey demarcations of colonial days.)

This being done,
1) the State of New York City can focus on its own issues without being burdened with the very unrelated issues of upstate and western New York.
2) Present northeast Jerseyans tend to be somewhat city-centric. We're really New Yorkers already! We'd no longer be wanna-bes!
3) South and West Jerseyans tend to be more focused on Pennsylvania. So join it already! (And Pennsylvania gets an oceanfront.)
4) Upstate New York can focus on its own issues without being burdened by the oft unrelated issues of New York City.

Still three states but much more functional with new boundaries and new names. (Oh yeah -- and no more debate about what state the Statue of Liberty is in!)

Last month, we all voted for change. Well, here it is! What do you think?
Why not just move to NY? Why be "city-centric" when your holy land is just a tunnel, bridge or ferry away?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,372,592 times
Fact:
NJ does not have its own Baseball Team
NJ does not have its own Football Team

Cmon - these 2 facts alone are enough to show NY is just using NJ as a dumping ground..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey