Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 AM

36 posts, read 111,924 times

Advertisements

My family and I are currently considering an offer on a house in Livingston, NJ which is owned by an Orthodox Jewish family. The family (and older couple) has told their listing agent (who has passed to our agent) that there are no showings Friday evening/Saturday - which I understand is due to Shabbat (I'm a less religious Jew myself).

Question though. We've seen the house twice and are likely to make an offer BUT we need my FIL to see it first (he knows a lot about construction and we want him to make sure we're not missing something wrong with the house/be our second pair of eyes). Unfortunately, FIL works late so evenings are tough. Then Friday/Saturday are out and this Sunday we all have a family function all day. We'd rather not wait until next week since they do have another (albeit lowball) offer on the house.

Would it be offensive to ask again if we can see it Saturday? Is there anyway it would be allowed to be shown that day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
highly doubtful you'll be able to see it.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 AM

36 posts, read 111,924 times
Yea I know it's doubtful but was more just curious as to whether it's offensive to even ask and whether an Orthodox person/family would even be allowed to let us in during Shabbos... For example, would it even be OK if they weren't home at the time?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:41 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Have to agree with Tahiti as a matter of fact because they have already stated that you may just pizz them off by asking

Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,673 times
From my very limited understanding.... doesn't shabbat only go from sundown to sundown? Would Saturday evening be out of the question?

If this is not true, I am afraid the others are right... to ask otherwise would be disrespectful, and might start the deal on a bad note.

Good luck though, hope it works out... come back & let us know!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,656,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
From my very limited understanding.... doesn't shabbat only go from sundown to sundown? Would Saturday evening be out of the question?

If this is not true, I am afraid the others are right... to ask otherwise would be disrespectful, and might start the deal on a bad note.

Good luck though, hope it works out... come back & let us know!
I was also thinking of Saturday evening, after the sabbath is over. Maybe give them an hour for after sabbath rituals are done. If they knew that you were serious and were probably going to offer a better price, they probably would let you come over Saturday evening.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,955,085 times
I can't see why Saturday after sundown wouldn't work.

Anyway, it's not your problem, it's theirs. Why don't you tell your agent you are going start looking at other houses in the meantime?

If people don't want to show their houses, that's fine, but there are plenty of other houses to see.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Shabbat does not officially end until nightfall, about 40 minutes after sundown, which at this time of year is going to be after 8pm.
If the owners are Orthodox I am quite certain they follow Shabbat to the letter.

Also to the o/p..does not matter if they are home or not, there are certain things you would want to check that will entail running electricity etc, this is prohibited and the owners being Orthodox are going to follow this.
The observance of Shabbat is more important to them then the sale of the house...

You said you are Jewish, you need to brush up on Judaism...lol

Good luck, I'm sure they will wait to the following week.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:07 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
I'd leave them alone until such time when they are willing to show you the house again, otherwise, there will be hard feelings. You have to look at it as an impending partnership, if you enter into contract with the perspective seller. If it doesn't happen because of the other offer (which I don't think it will) then move on. I used to get emotional about real estate transactions, and I have some experience, moving 4 times in the last 11 years. But, the last time I brought property in NJ, and there was emotional attachment to it, my brother in law said something simple to me: "It's just a house". Just an inanimate series of constructed materials. You just move on, if it falls through, and buy another one. If it's any consolation, it's most definitely a buyer's market. Your offer will most likely be accepted if it's a higher one.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,955,085 times
Exactly. I'd be looking for another house in the meantime. Let them take their lowball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey