Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 03:48 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,787 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how NJ "bills" folks on the real estate tax? We just closed on our house Thursday and are leaving the state. We were told we'd have to pay the tax, but so far haven't paid any portion of it. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 03:57 PM

156 posts, read 370,094 times
If you are the seller you are no longer responsible for the taxes . you only pay up to the date of sale and that should have been taken care of by the lawyer at closing .I sold my house there and got a refund because they made a mistake on the date and I overpaid and the lawyer had to correct it .I was not living in NJ when my house sold I signed all papers before I left and there lawyer made the mistake .Don't worry if you do owe anything they will find you. But like I said it all should have been taken care of at closing.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:41 PM

604 posts, read 2,011,934 times
If you mean taxes on the gain by selling real estate then you don't have to worry about that unless you made more than $250K(if single) in profit.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:44 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,694 times
There's a real estate transfer tax, but it should be paid at closing.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:08 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,021,588 times
I think you are talking about the exit tax.{There is the Seller's Residency Certification/Exemption (form GIT/REP3) for NJ resident taxpayers and contains eight exemption choices allowing for any taxes on the gain to be paid when filing NJ income taxes. Then there is the NonResident Seller's Tax Declaration (form GIT/REP1) for out-of-state residents who MUST pay a minimum 2% tax to NJ for the sale of any property. (Note that this 2% minimum is on the consideration listed on the deed - NOT 2% on the gain on the property. Now, up until earlier this year, many New Jerseyans selling their homes and moving permanently out of state were utilizing the GIT/REP3 (Resident) form, based on the assumption they would be filing New Jersey income taxes for that tax year and would pay the taxes (if any) on the sale of the property at that time. As of July 2007, they can no longer do so. The state Division of Taxation has "amended" their position that, in order to utilize the Resident form, the seller MUST be moving to a New Jersey address as of the date of deed transfer, or they must use the NonResident (GIT/REP1) form, thereby requiring them to pay the minimum 2% of the deed consideration directly to the state.} quote summerdaisy

Old 11-14-2009, 10:31 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,787 times
Thanks Sergio M, but i am still a little confused. We sold our house to a relocation company (husband is being transferred out of state). We currently have no address, as we have not bought a house in our new place of residence. It doesn't appear anything was paid at our closing, so I am confused. We worked with an out-of-state relocation company too, and they don't know anything about the exit tax.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:32 AM

741 posts, read 3,511,469 times
We moved out of NJ in Sept. 2007 and paid no Exit Tax, or any moving out of state tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey