Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 AM

44 posts, read 110,473 times

Advertisements

Would someone PM me a RE site that shows the property tax? I live in Westchester now and there are serveral local sites that show the property tax, but haven't been able to find similar sites for NJ.

Related to the above, for someone commuting to downtown NYC (near Ground 0), what towns in NJ would you recommend based on the following

(1) Within 1 hr train (or bus) to Ground 0. (Is that the PATH station that is there?)
(2) Decent pickings on housing stock (3bd/2bth 1500sqft, typical middle class) for 500K to 550K range. What would be the tax like?
(3) Good schools and good recreational programs for families.
(4) If you are familiar with CT suburbs, some place like Fairfield, CT, (except it is too far for Ground 0). If I were commuting to Grand Central, Fairfield, CT would be a do-able commute for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 AM

5,821 posts, read 12,659,658 times
I use zillow.com punch in the address and scroll down. They tell u how much the taxes are and what the last sale price of the house was. Good luck

Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,372,922 times
While I typically use Trulia, many times they don't show the taxes, especially in NYS. I usually have luck by internet searching for the MLS #, and picking the Realtor.com or Weichert results. If I can't find the tax listed anywhere, I discard the property, as there are SO MANY LISTINGS out there. I can't waste my time on listings that don't include this important detail.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:15 PM

46 posts, read 262,521 times
If you know the property address, you can search for it here.
NJ Tax Records Search

It also list the current owners, how often the house has been sold, current property tax, next year's property tax.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,980,568 times
Property taxes are public record, which is why I don't understand why RE websites can't just list them and save you the trouble of digging around. There are several ways to find the info you are looking for---the property taxes on a particular property, and more importantly, the ASSESSED value of that property (as opposed to the listes sales price you are seeing on whatever real estate site or MLS you are browsing).

You can use nj.com's By The Numbers database. However, the info is pretty old...if you search there, you will be getting 2007 data.

New Jersey by the Numbers - NJ.com
(click on "Taxes In Your Town" which is listed underneath "Home & Taxes"; then, in the right-hand panel, click on "You & Your neighbors"; you can enter the address under "Search by Street".

The other thing you have to watch out for with this website is that it's very finnicky about how you enter your query. For example, I was looking up a property on a "McCall Drive". I had to enter it in as "MC CALL DR" (with the space between the "Mc" and "Call") before it would give me any info. "MCCALL DRIVE" or "MCCALL DR" would get you "0 results". This is a major, and annoying, flaw.

Some counties, like Morris County, have a searchable property tax website for all the municipalities in that county:

Tax Board Home Page

Lastly, you can just go to this comprehensive property tax search engine:

NJ Tax Records Search

You can search properties in all NJ counties. Just choose the desired county and town in the dropdown menus and enter the street address in the "Location" field. It has 2009 data. But heads up---this database has the same "MC CALL" flaw as the NJ.com website listed above.

If you want to find the 2010 property tax rate in a particular town, some towns have that info listed on their township websites under "tax collector". Or, at least, the website will give you the tax department's contact info and you can ask directly. You should be able to get the assessed value of the property from one of the websites above.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,233,168 times
Zillow usually has them. Actually they show what was paid for the last several years so you can see the trend.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,980,568 times
Oh, and as far as town recommendations, I would suggest a town that is a 20-30 minute drive to a PATH train station, preferably Harrison or Newark PATH. The Newark-to-WTC PATH train ride to the WTC is 22 minutes.

Livingston, West Orange and Roseland all fit the bill as far as your commute and price range.

A house that is ASSESSED at $500,000 in Livingston will get you a property tax bill somewhere between $10,000 and $11,000 a year. Property taxes in West Orange are higher, and property taxes in Roseland are lower.

Keep in mind that a house listed for sale for $500,000 could actually be ASSESSED at closer to $600,000.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:52 PM

555 posts, read 1,656,793 times
I believe ZipRealty usually shows them... I used that site almost exclusively for that reason... also gives you different map and picture options to see the outside of the house, the yard, and the neighborhood which other sites don't do.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:15 PM

I do know that zillow and other similar sites give you sale and property tax history. But like one person said, I don't understand why there isn't a MLS site that just shows you the latest tax amount along with the listing price (like I know certain sites for Westchester and CT do). Perhaps, it's strategy for these sites to get the users to call up their agents.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
I believe ZipRealty usually shows them... I used that site almost exclusively for that reason... also gives you different map and picture options to see the outside of the house, the yard, and the neighborhood which other sites don't do.
That site is wierd. Try putting zip code 07039 (Livingston NJ). Can you get there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey