Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:10 AM

197 posts, read 798,464 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with the water in this area? I remember a bunch of kids being born with cancer years ago. I even heard a documentary was made about it. Maybe caused by a tainted basin contaminated by a nearby factory. Is the water supply in Toms River, Brick and surrounding areas safe??? Just curious.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 05:23 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,397 times
Brick and Tom's River Do Not share the same water supply. Though Tom's River has problems with their water Brick township does not. If you want more info, google Toms River water contamination.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,656 times
Default Brick/Toms River water

Years ago, the Toms River area was a chemical dump for companies from north Jersey and part of the water table became toxic because of the dumping---"Superfund Sites" are areas where soil and water needed to be cleared up. In particular, a chemical company called Ciba Geigy had a plant just north of Route 37 which leached chemicals into the ground water in the Toms River area. Many or most of the Superfund Sites associated with Ciba-Geigy have been remediated. A few gas stations have leaked fuel into the ground water in both areas. Yes, Brick has a "cancer cluster" and an autism cluster which have been investigated over the years---no definite link to water has been proved but local residents have their own opinions. Both places have city water now and keep a close check on any wells used.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:06 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,774 times
Toms River also has a cancer cluster however again, nothing has been proven. As for the water being monitored closely, well lets just say you can't trust anyone. Last year United Water - who supplies to TR got caught not reporting findings about something or other.

I have two thoughts on the matter. One, I drink bottled water realizing that nothing is perfectly safe - I live in TR but have been drinking bottled water way before I moved here. Two, it seems no matter where you live you are prone to higher rates of something. Live in the city and there are higher rates of athsma. Live near a highway and I'm sure the extra car emissions must have some harmful side effects. Live near electric transformer towers and there's something else.

There are some threads about this topic already on this forum. You may want to check them out as well as doing what Patty suggested and googling for more info.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,100 times
Please google "Findings vs feelings"......and also read the two links below "Cancer clusters look less manmade' and "How to terrify parents about cancer clusters".

Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,059 times
Here's the deal though. While the companies claimed there was no proven link the clusters of cancer were a very strange/rare type that cropped up. IIRC I believe it was a type of brain cancer that maybe had an incidence of like 6 other cases in the world & there were clusters of multiple children (much more then 6 at a time) cropping up only in these areas. Yes noone proved a link but common sense says that something specific to these areas is occurring b/c that is just too coincidental and doesn't make sense statistically otherwise. Personally, I just don't feel safe moving to an area with those kind of numbers, however I know many people who do. While the odds are that more people then not will be fine (even if there is a reason for the cancer clusters) I really don't feel like playing Russian Roulette and I can't believe that there isn't something amiss with the numbers that I read awhile ago when doing the research. JMO

Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Here's the deal though. While the companies claimed there was no proven link the clusters of cancer were a very strange/rare type that cropped up. IIRC I believe it was a type of brain cancer that maybe had an incidence of like 6 other cases in the world & there were clusters of multiple children (much more then 6 at a time) cropping up only in these areas. Yes noone proved a link but common sense says that something specific to these areas is occurring b/c that is just too coincidental and doesn't make sense statistically otherwise. Personally, I just don't feel safe moving to an area with those kind of numbers, however I know many people who do. While the odds are that more people then not will be fine (even if there is a reason for the cancer clusters) I really don't feel like playing Russian Roulette and I can't believe that there isn't something amiss with the numbers that I read awhile ago when doing the research. JMO
Could you provide us with a link? This is the first I've heard of only 6 other case's in the world.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,059 times
It was years ago that I both read and watched programs about this. I didn't even have a home computer at the time so I didn't obtain this information via the web. However it was repeated often that the number of incidences world wide of this type of brain cancer was small (IIRC 6?) . I'm not going to now scour the internet to see if I can find articles or television transcripts from several years ago nor am I going to try and find anything new to validate what I am saying. Suffice it to say I did extensive research at the time and I am quickly sharing what I learned and why it led me to feel the gamble was not worth it to move there. Others feel differently and that is their choice. But no, I am in the middle of researching a few other things that are important right now to me (which is what led me to this board) & I am not going to detour that effort so I can justify what I learned to you. If someone is interested personally in learning more they can do the research themselves. And if people don't have a high enough level of concern they will probably ignore what I said or not look into it that deeply b/c it just doesn't rate as that important and the odds are that nothing will happen to them anyway.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
It was years ago that I both read and watched programs about this. I didn't even have a home computer at the time so I didn't obtain this information via the web. However it was repeated often that the number of incidences world wide of this type of brain cancer was small (IIRC 6?) . I'm not going to now scour the internet to see if I can find articles or television transcripts from several years ago nor am I going to try and find anything new to validate what I am saying. Suffice it to say I did extensive research at the time and I am quickly sharing what I learned and why it led me to feel the gamble was not worth it to move there. Others feel differently and that is their choice. But no, I am in the middle of researching a few other things that are important right now to me (which is what led me to this board) & I am not going to detour that effort so I can justify what I learned to you. If someone is interested personally in learning more they can do the research themselves. And if people don't have a high enough level of concern they will probably ignore what I said or not look into it that deeply b/c it just doesn't rate as that important and the odds are that nothing will happen to them anyway.
If we were discussing school systems or just about anything else, I would take your post with a grain of salt. But I myself am doing research on this subject and never heard anything about IIRC type cancer and the six other people in the world known to have had it. I just did a search on the internet and could not find a thing on it. Could you tell me how you conducted your research?

Old 09-11-2017, 06:06 PM

242 posts, read 758,821 times
I've had water in both places and although TR and Brick are close to one another, they have different water. Brick water is harder for sure - I could tell when I showered. TR water is softer (though not super soft), and is heavily chlorinated. I usually taste tap water in different places just to see what it's like, mostly out of curiosity. I don't drink tap water anywhere, I drink filtered or bottled. I don't know if the water is completely safe to drink, I doubt you would get sick from limited exposure. If you are drinking it on a daily basis and it is/was known to cause cancer, I would rethink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: